Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ration pack type food for hiking? page

BlueGlaucus is offline Junior Member

Ration pack type food for hiking?

Shop Now
    Really got into long distance hiking. But struggling to think of stuff to take for meals. Obviously jerky/nuts/fruits are all light, small and good for snacking. But struggling on meals, ration packs are the usual awnser but aren't very primal, unless someone's making some primal friendly versions.
    About the only thing I can think off is powdered egg, eating that for every meal would be boring and not particular interesting.
    Anyone else do trial hiking/camping with extremely low weight backpack.
    I often end up passing through a village everyday few days, but often not much more than a corner shop.

Next one will be the Brecon Way in Wales which is a 100miles and hopefully do it in 5-6days.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Back when we did camping canned meat and fish and dehydrated soups were staples in addition to all your dehydrated veggies, fruits and nuts. I am thinking that it will be worth your while to invest into a dehydrator to make your own dehydrated soup mixes with a lot of root vegetables plus canned or dried meats/fish for proteins. If hard-pressed I would use protein powder when it's hot.

Sounds like you are going have fun!!!
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I bought a dehydrator and dehydrate my own food:

Cooked:
    Sweet potatoes and yams, celery root, rutabage etc. Mashed and spread on parchment paper covered dehydrator trays.
    Beets, cut in chunks. Golden beets won't turn your whole meal (and your poo) red.
    Slow-cooked chicken or pork tenderloin, shredded with a fork and spread on parchment.

Raw:
    Carrots, leafy greens, zucchini, corn, any other vegetable that is good eaten raw and not cruciferous, cut in chunks.
    Olives (green or black, pitted).
    Tomatoes and onions are easier to purchase already dried.

Eaten thus:
    Mix up any proportion of the above items (i.e. a little of the meat, a little of the starchy root stuff, a little of the vegetables) in bags, enough to fit into a 16oz plastic jar with a secure lid. At breakfast, put lunch in the jar and fill with water. Eat cold at lunch slathered liberally in olive oil. After lunch, put dinner in the jar and fill with water. Eat cold just like lunch or heat it up and melt in some coconut butter, more olive oils or other fat. Start soaking breakfast at bedtime and eat just like lunch. Or else find something else for breakfast you like better.

Then there are the old favorites to eat for snacks: nuts, dried fruit, jerky.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 210 x 3

BlueGlaucus is offline Junior Member
    Dehydrating normal food stuff never crossed my mind,
    I make my own jerky so already have a dehydrator and vacume food sealer.

As most jerky in the uk is full of sugar, indiana jerky is about the easiest low carb jerky we can get here. Even that's online ordering.

Kegas76 is offline Senior Member
    What do hobbits always bring with them when they travel? Dry sausages!

If you can make your own jerky then you might want to try your hand at pemmican.

It seems to me the easiest thing to stuff in your pack each time you hit a town would be a couple potatoes.

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    Naked bars. Healthy Snacks & Bars | N?kd | Gluten Free Bars | Natural Balance Foods
    Sushi Nori for minerals. (Instead of electrolyte drinks, just nibble on nori.)
    Chocolate bars. Nom.
    Canned fish. (+ fork, eat.)
    Nut/seed butters.
    Very hard cheeses.
    Root vegetables and hard fruit.

And, as you said, jerky, fruit and nuts, seeds...etc You don't need to eat a typical 'meal', just mix and match and try and get some variety if you get bored easily.
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kegas76 View Post
    What do hobbits always bring with them when they travel? Dry sausages!

If you can make your own jerky then you might want to try your hand at pemmican.

It seems to me the easiest thing to stuff in your pack each time you hit a town would be a couple potatoes.
    +1
    Chorizo, salami, szynkowa... Dried sausages ftw.
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

tamo42 is offline Senior Member
    +1 for pemmican. It's the ultimate travel food.
    http://www.theprimalprepper.com - preparing for life's worst while living for the best

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Another vote for pemmican. I recently finished a week-long hike on the AT and took a good bit of that. I also took jerky, dried fruit, larabars, whey protein powder mixed with coconut milk powder, and coconut butter. The coconut butter was good, but a small portion goes a looong way (lots of insoluble fiber).

BlueGlaucus, can you mail food to yourself in advance? That would ensure that you can have fully Primal food on your treks. If you can pick up a mail drop every 3-5 days, that would enable you to keep your pack pretty light.

Egerland is offline Senior Member
    Not many German delis in the UK, I assume. But Landjaeger, Berliner Rauchwurst etc are all heavily smoked meats that don't need refridgeration.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast