Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loose skin after weight loss page

EMonger is offline Member

Loose skin after weight loss

Shop Now
    I hope to have this problem later. Short of surgery, is there any way to restore skin elasticity lost with youth? I'd like to think the skin will eventually shrink, but I've heard otherwise.

upupandaway is offline Senior Member
    You can dry skin brush and eat plenty skin-feeding foods (gelatin and bone broth), but depending on how much weight you lose, there may always be some loose skin.

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    Yeah, I have that problem. My arms are very bad. My legs and stomach were getting bad, but about 8 weeks ago (or so) I started CrossFit and a lot of the sag on my thighs and stomach is firming up to the point where I will not need surgery. No one will mistake me for a model, but it should not be hanging like it was heading. My arms are a different story. There is weird, thin drapey skin. I will need arm surgery or a lot of long sleeve shirts.

The only other thing I will say is that when I look at plastic surgeon websites, a lot of the "lifts" are performed on people who still have fat. Like they could clearly lose another 40lbs of fat. All things said, most of the people lost an amazing amount of weight, but don't look like they did strength training and like I said, still have fat to lose. As such, for the amount of money they spend, it doesn't look that great. They don't end up with bikini bodies, they just end up without flab rolls.

My plan is collagen supplements, dry brushing and weight training/cross fit. Right now I am focusing on adding muscle and not losing fat. I probably still could lose 30lbs of fat, but if I do that without building in a good base of muscle, I fear I will look like shit.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Zanna is online now Senior Member
    What does the dry brushing do?

nikitakolata is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanna View Post
    What does the dry brushing do?
    I'm also curious about this. I'm not even sure I know what dry brushing is really.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    The only other thing I will say is that when I look at plastic surgeon websites, a lot of the "lifts" are performed on people who still have fat. Like they could clearly lose another 40lbs of fat. All things said, most of the people lost an amazing amount of weight, but don't look like they did strength training and like I said, still have fat to lose. As such, for the amount of money they spend, it doesn't look that great. They don't end up with bikini bodies, they just end up without flab rolls.
    I noticed that, too. I suspect that the thinner the fat layer, the less the surgeon will have to tighten up and the less the scars will widen during the healing process. I've seen a tummy tuck operation where the surgeon really tightened up the patient's skin. No wonder they end up with a 1/2" wide scar.

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    Dry brushing is brushing your dry skin with a dry brush. It helps with exfoliation and claims to help with circulation and lymphatic drainage.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    I have heard that MSM soap and then a DMAE application with MSM lotion (post shower) has helped some.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

upupandaway is offline Senior Member
    Dry skin brushing, aka body brushing was discussed fairly recently, if you're curious http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread81785.html

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    I was really worried about extra skin about 15 lbs ago. It was one of the reasons I decided to relax a bit and let the weight loss slow down. Over the last 6 mos and 15 lbs, I've actually seen a big improvement in my upper arms and back. I am fairly optimistic about those areas. I've done nothing except start a one hour hot vinyasa flow yoga class once a week and a single plank when I get out of the shower every morning (I'm up to 30 sec, lol.).

My belly may be tougher. I was pregnant twice while over weight. It looks great under clothes. It's a pitiful deflated balloon close up though. I'm pretty sure it has improved in the last 6 months, it's just starting from a different place. My plan is to slowly press on to <20% body fat and continue to work my core. I will reassess next summer. I guess I'm fortunate that I'm old enough that I already look better than 99% of the women my age and I have a husband who thinks I'm smoking hot as is.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast