Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Accidental nutrition page

Knifegill is offline Senior Member

Accidental nutrition

Primal Fuel
    So what awesome nutrients can be found in SAD foods, which people don't even know they're getting? Like hot dogs for example. Good source of gelatin, perhaps?

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, gelatin was my first thought. I'm wondering if pink slime is actually nutritious?

There are some products that use healthy saturated fats instead of high PUFA oils, Magic Shell is one of them last I heard.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Well, those disgusting little breakfast links, those Jimmy Dean ones... You know, filled with CAFO meats, wheat, sugar, irradiated spices, who knows what else?

They are packed in collagen which has a very balancing protein profile and is extremely good for skin health.

workinprogress is offline Senior Member
    Met a man who free ranges cattle. Sells them at auction where they are mostly bought by fast food suppliers. So at least some of the beef at your local fast food burger chain is grass fed.

There's lots of nutrition in certain junk foods. I still think the main problem with most people is excess rather than not enough. A cheeseburger meal with fries and a large milk shake could even be called nutritious.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
    There's lots of nutrition in certain junk foods. I still think the main problem with most people is excess rather than not enough. A cheeseburger meal with fries and a large milk shake could even be called nutritious.
    Grass fed burger, no bread, topped with brie. Duck fat french fries. Glass of raw milk. Now that would be nutritious.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Grass fed burger, no bread, topped with brie. Duck fat french fries. Glass of raw milk. Now that would be nutritious.
    Duck fat is amazingly high in O-6 which at deep frying temps would go rancid.

Change that to coconut oil or clarified butter fries and you have me.

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    has a recipe for primal jimmy dean sausage if anyone misses them
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    Duck fat is amazingly high in O-6 which at deep frying temps would go rancid.

Change that to coconut oil or clarified butter fries and you have me.
    Gotcha. You're correct of course. I don't know what temp I fry in - par boil the potatoes first, then I pan fry them very quickly. But if you come over for dinner, I'd be more than happy to do yours in coconut oil.

For the number of times I go to the trouble of making duck fat fries, I figure if I spend one less day on the planet because of it, I'm okay with that. Now if you could give me one day back at 42 years of age, I might rethink it. For me, living longer only matters if it's fun.

I feel the same way about all vices. Give me back my 40s, and I'll give up all my vices. Tell me that I'll live to be 90 instead of 87 and I'm hard pressed to change.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Gotcha. You're correct of course. I don't know what temp I fry in - par boil the potatoes first, then I pan fry them very quickly. But if you come over for dinner, I'd be more than happy to do yours in coconut oil.

For the number of times I go to the trouble of making duck fat fries, I figure if I spend one less day on the planet because of it, I'm okay with that. Now if you could give me one day back at 42 years of age, I might rethink it. For me, living longer only matters if it's fun.

I feel the same way about all vices. Give me back my 40s, and I'll give up all my vices. Tell me that I'll live to be 90 instead of 87 and I'm hard pressed to change.
    I've used duck fat before for a number of purposes. I love it.

I just don't trust it for high-heat cooking is all. If I'm doing some low and slow baking or sautéing, then hell yeah, duck fat is awesome.

One nice thing about duck fat is that at least where I live, it is too expensive for everyday use so that kind of limits it as a natural course.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast