Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sugar Tax? page

Mutton is offline Senior Member

Sugar Tax?

Shop Now
    There seems to be increasing talk of sugar taxes, soft drink bans and the like. I do hate my taxes going to fix public health problems that stem from people scoffing soft drink and lollies. But where would you draw the line? And I'd hate to see a precedent set that allows something like red meat to be taxed on the basis of preventing bowel cancer...

Health boss calls for sugar tax Today's News - The Mercury - The Voice of Tasmania

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/31/ny...anted=all&_r=0

What do you think?

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    What a ridiculous violation of free will. That's my only opinion, besides the obvious fear mongering BS. What should really be taxed is "heart healthy" oils and soy, but lol
    Last edited by Derpamix; 06-04-2013 at 07:27 PM.
    nihil

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    I think that there should be a law where producers need to be honest about where their ingredients were sourced from.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    In the case of the US I'd first like to see how much mileage we could get out of revoking subsidies. Chemists would not have bothered developing HFCS without them, for one example.

Overall I'm pretty ambivalent about the government managing public nutrition since it's too easily infiltrated and has a pretty bad record so far. People somehow managed without food advice before the 20th century. I could support the rationale for taxing sugar and other purified additives like soybean oil because their categorization as food is questionable, but I can't see it happening politically.
    36//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    it's all fun and games til someone bans my butter

then it'll be war
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I used to think I was funny until I met Kathy Griffin. Im gonna have to call my mama and have her tell me how good I am. - ginger minj

PRO199 is offline Senior Member
    I do not support any sin taxes of any kind. People want to ingest unhealthy stuff, that is their right to do so and not be taxed for it. Even though identifying what stuff is healthy and what is not isn't that difficult, there is much room for debate with respect to how much is too much. I do not trust politicians to determine what is too much any more than I trust them to determine what decisions I am not capable of making for myself. Nope, no interest in the continued expansion Father Knows Best government.
    Follow my progress at ->Journal: My Body Revival

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I live in a state that sales taxes food (I believe there are 11 states that do this). I draw the line everywhere, once my income is taxed. I paid the taxes when I earned it. Paying value added/sales tax is merely putting a gun to my head when I purchase something with my already taxed earnings.

Most of the price of gas, cigarettes, and alcohol are taxes even before you pay sales tax on them - they're just hidden.

I mean really, just how many hours per year am I supposed to work for someone other than myself?
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    There is no tax on food in Washington State, with the exception of candy and soft drinks. I love where I live

Edit: They do tax liquor now, which annoys me.
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    All taxation is wrong.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - Samuel Adams

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Learn More
    Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    All taxation is wrong.
    Because you want to build your own roads? Pay for schooling your kids? Get a bill sent to you for military protection? Have only rick kids get to be doctors? Taxes are fine. But over taxation leads to people like me doing everything they can to avoid it from working non-traditional jobs to buying food from non-taxed sources. Once you have the average old lady screwing with the govt to avoid stupid over taxation, you have to know that something stinks at the states' and federal capitols.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast