Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Sugar Tax? page 7

drssgchic is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by kathleen View Post
    I remember learning the "Food Pyramid" in first grade. We were supposed to color it in, and memorize the total number of servings needed per day.

Of course, wheat and wheat products were on the bottom, the 'big' part, so we were supposed to eat a lot of that! Then if you didn't get enough wheat, go ahead and eat tons of fruit and veggies (which included legumes). Then, you can eat meat and poultry.

Perhaps today's health problems are a product of education?
    They are- which is why it would be helpful to supplant the current education with something that's, you know, useful
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    Honestly, the waitress at Waffle House who when you say "I don't eat wheat" and offers rye or white is just a simple misunderstanding. Whole wheat, white and whole grain bread are all different in terms of flavor/texture. Next time try "I don't eat any bread" if someone offers you toast. I've never had a waitress not get the picture if I say I don't want toast or a biscuit. And I don't know, if you ever worked in food service, you know that some person said "I don't eat wheat" and meant they wanted white or rye toast. I don't think 4 types of bread are a conspiracy, it's just the bakery catering to the unique choices people make. I don't think having whole wheat, wheat, white and multigrain is anything more than the same desire to accomodate consumer choice that we have in say, the automotive industry.
    The fact is that the term "wheat bread" is a deliberately deceptive way to convince the public that white bread with caramel coloring has taken on the magical heart-healthy properties of whole wheat despite having not the least bit of whole wheat in it. Both white and whole grain bread are "wheat bread". Yes, I have a degree in culinary arts and have worked in the food industry. Not knowing that bread is made from flour is a national disgrace and failure of the education system, not a random fluke or an unreasonable expectation on the part of those who can't eat wheat and shouldn't be expected to to provide an education on the "staff of life" that every food service person should have gotten in elementary school.

There is nothing so basic as the idea that flour is made into baked goods. It is not a highly advanced concept privy to those with advanced education if I learned it in the third grade.

Of course, since it is safe to assume that nobody in food service understands a thing about what gluten-free people want, the conversation would hardly start and end with, "I can't eat wheat," on the part of such a diner. And since as far as I know there's nothing safe to eat at Waffle House, you'd never catch me in one.
    Last edited by eKatherine; 06-07-2013 at 03:32 PM.

Green Deane Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    It is not the proper function of the government to deliberately mislead people on nutrition because you want millions of them to die.
    ekaterine: You consistently grossly misstate and misrepresent what I clearly and concisely write. You either have a severe comprehension problem or are maliciously antagonistic. Perhaps both. Either way this will be my last post because life is too short to waste my time on your nescience and juvenile effluvia. I do not want millions of people to die. I never said nor implied that. Conversely neither do I want government to control people's diet. That is not the function of government. I am for freedom and personal responsibility. A person should be free to eat as badly as he or she chooses. They should also be equally responsible for the consequences of eating badly. There are very few things the government does well. Putting it in charge of nutrition would be yet one more mistake.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Deane View Post
    ekaterine: You consistently grossly misstate and misrepresent what I clearly and concisely write. You either have a severe comprehension problem or are maliciously antagonistic. Perhaps both. Either way this will be my last post because life is too short to waste my time on your juvenile posts. I do not want millions of people to die. I never said nor implied said. Conversely neither do I want to government to control peoples' diet. That is not the function of government. I am for freedom and personal responsibility. A person should be free to eat as badly as he or she chooses. They should also be equally responsible for the consequences of eating badly. There are very few things the government does well. Putting it in charge of nutrition would be yet one more mistake.
    Excuse me for interpreting what you say literally instead of perceiving the subtext.

People who do not have access to the same information as we do cannot make informed decisions. Yet you think they should be held to blame and punished for doing the best they could under the circumstances.

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Excuse me for interpreting what you say literally instead of perceiving the subtext.

People who do not have access to the same information as we do cannot make informed decisions. Yet you think they should be held to blame and punished for doing the best they could under the circumstances.
    The entire developed world has access to libraries and Google. We don't know anything that an ignorant person cannot learn as well. Almost everything I have learned about health and nutrition has come from my own research, not the government, doctors, or public indoctrination system known as school.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - Samuel Adams

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    Mine has mostly come from discovering other people's research (MDA, etc). A lot of the foundation is based in wondering on what I've been told, though. I think I may have mentioned that, as a kid, I could not understand how wheat was the basis of our diet. This question was founded in efficiency - I questioned how on earth we would go and evolve to have most of our diet based in something so disperse (visit an overgrown field sometime, where the grass is going to seed and spend some).

So how I arrived here has been varied.

M.

paleodog is offline Senior Member
    Just another example of our government "protecting" us by taking rights away and charging us more in the form of extra taxes

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Just started reading "Pure, White and Deadly" by John Yudkin. Yudkin is the guy who said sugar was bad news a long time ago, and everyone told him to shut up. I can already tell it's going to be good from pg7...

"If only a small fraction of what is already know about the effect of sugar were to be revealed in relation to any other material used as a food additive, that material would promptly be banned."

And yet, apparently a lot of people even on a paleo forum are fine with it. Interesting.
    Last edited by KimchiNinja; 06-12-2013 at 12:53 AM.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    i'm a grown up, if i want to inject sugar syrup straight into my vein that's my business
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I used to think I was funny until I met Kathy Griffin. Im gonna have to call my mama and have her tell me how good I am. - ginger minj

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    But what about children?

A child naturally thinks if society put it there it must be okay, cause they wouldn't put it there and let kids eat it if it were truly deadly. Would they?

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast