Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sugar Tax? page 3

BigChris is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    my issue is if they tax suggar fruit would be supper expoencive whilst soda ans shit with chemial sweaner would be even cheaper ... NOT the direction we need to go ... I say no taxes but if they must then put a proccessing/chemical tax on all the junk frankenfoods
    04/23/2012 Max Weight : 448 lbs
    01/01/2014 Initial Weight : 428 lbs
    09/30/2014 Current weight : 328 lbs
    12/31/2015 Goal weight : 228 lbs

kenn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigChris View Post
    my issue is if they tax suggar fruit would be supper expoencive whilst soda ans shit with chemial sweaner would be even cheaper ... NOT the direction we need to go ... I say no taxes but if they must then put a proccessing/chemical tax on all the junk frankenfoods
    What?
    Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
    Starting Weight: 294 pounds
    Current Weight: 235 pounds
    Goal Weight: 195 pounds

ie the gov would clasify normal real sugar continaing items as taxable yet chemacal varents would still be ok
    fruit has a lot of sugar so would cost more if a sugar tax was implmented yet splenda-soda wouldn't be taxed.

we need to tax the artifical lab made stuff not the natural

but the system is so corupt no mater what tax weas enacted ---corporate profites would twist it to there advantge which would continue to f over the public.
    Last edited by BigChris; 06-05-2013 at 12:59 PM.

ie the gov would clasify normal real sugar continaing items as taxable yet chemacal varents would still be ok
    fruit has a lot of sugar so would cost more if a sugar tax was implmented yet splenda-soda wouldn't be taxed.

we need to tax the artifical lab made stuff not the natural
    When people say tax sugar they generally mean actual sugar or artificial sugar, not sugar in fruits

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    I don't really have a problem with taxing sugar (although, as someone else said, stopping the subsidies might be more effective). What I have a problem with is the precedent it sets. Most people agree that sugar is bad. But how long before they're taxing saturated fat? Meat? Dairy?

The solution is not to slap people with taxes or other penalties. The solution is to provide real information in ways that the everyman can understand it to make educated decisions. If they still want to eat crap- fine. But at least at that point it is a deliberate choice.
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

I understant what "people" generaly mean but we all now that is NOT how the system will be implamented.. be asured they will find a way to screw the "people" over and make it something no one ment for it to be.

I understant what "people" generaly mean but we all now that is NOT how the system will be implamented.. be asured they will find a way to screw the "people" over and make it something no one ment for it to be.
    They're all too busy chasing gun disarmament and immigration atm to know their plans

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    While they will no doubt be screwing over people in favor of big monopolies, they won't be taxing fruit according to its sugar content.

PRO199 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drssgchic View Post
    ...What I have a problem with is the precedent it sets. Most people agree that sugar is bad. But how long before they're taxing saturated fat? Meat? Dairy?

The solution is not to slap people with taxes or other penalties. The solution is to provide real information in ways that the everyman can understand it to make educated decisions. If they still want to eat crap- fine. But at least at that point it is a deliberate choice.
    My fear as well, if they tax sugar, well then what is next? We've already seen NY City enact law to limit the size that a soft drink can be; to me that is the Fathers Knows Best government meddling that i want to avoid.

I'm less certain there is much more we as a society need to do to force via law how real information is provided to the consumer about what is in their products and the dangers within. After some degree of nutritional labeling there has to be a point that if the consumer needs more detail to make a decision, then it is on them to go figure it out.

Fast food for instance, most if not all have the nutrition info on their wrappers/boxes or if not there available in store via list for review. That basic macro nutrient info is enough for anyone to deduce that if they eat it, they are eating junk which while it will provide them calories to burn it will do little else to benefit then nutritionally.

What else does a consumer absolutely need to know in order to understand that Big mac is a Big Mistake? Does the label also need to detail out the risks of eating food at that specific macro nutrient combination?

Or that a can of Coke is a can of liquified sugar; Does the label also need to detail out the risks of high sugar consumption?

My answer to the above two sample questions is NO. The labels as they are now is sufficient for that level of understanding by the consumer. A tax wont make them understand anything any clearer; it will just make the consumer poorer and the government richer.

Now deceptive labeling practices, that is whole different argument and anything I said here has nothing to do with that completely separate topic.
    Follow my progress at ->Journal: My Body Revival

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    While they will no doubt be screwing over people in favor of big monopolies, they won't be taxing fruit according to its sugar content.
    Yeah, this is not a "sweetness tax" but a SUGAR tax, as in "added refined sugar"

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast