Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sugar Tax? page 2

JWBooth is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Because you want to build your own roads? Pay for schooling your kids? Get a bill sent to you for military protection? Have only rick kids get to be doctors?
    Pretty sure I pay roads and schools as it is. And I don't even have kids. And I'd be more than happy to get sent an actual bill for the military misadventures in Iraq, Libya, and now Syria because I'd dispute the charges. Taxation is theft, pure and simple. We pay them because the state threatens us with violence if we do not.

Do you really think no one would get together and build a road if it weren't for an authoritarian government taxing us? In a voluntaryist society, we'd still have roads, and schools, and doctors. What we wouldn't have is the waste, the kickbacks, the senseless wars, and the corporate subsidies.

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    I'm fine with it.

You want to create an economic disinstinctive so the crappiest things are no longer the cheapest things.

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    nm i'm tired and reading comp is nil
    Last edited by bloodorchid; 06-05-2013 at 03:13 AM.
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

kenn is offline Senior Member
    We've already been paying a sugar tax by protecting the native sugar industry in the us and subsidizing HFCs manufacturing through government action
    Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
    Starting Weight: 294 pounds
    Current Weight: 235 pounds
    Goal Weight: 195 pounds

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Why don't they just turn sugar off?

It didn't work, so just stop doing that.

Sort of like agriculture in general, once humans start a bad idea they can't just let it go.

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    but they let prohibition go
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JWBooth View Post
    We pay them because the state threatens us with violence if we do not.
    And that is what grieves me the most.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    but they let prohibition go
    Because they made more money.

M.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I live in a state that sales taxes food (I believe there are 11 states that do this). I draw the line everywhere, once my income is taxed. I paid the taxes when I earned it. Paying value added/sales tax is merely putting a gun to my head when I purchase something with my already taxed earnings.
    Yeah, they tax groceries in NC too.... and want to raise those taxes so the "poor pay their share". There is also legislation to tax services including health care because apparently we need to make that more expensive for people. I agree we need to pay taxes, but I wish it was just in the form of one bill per year.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I will be happy with that idea. My mother -in-law stopped smoking when prices of cigarettes went up. My husband no longer speeds when price of gasoline went up. Dairy is already ridiculously priced in Canada, and no access to the raw one, so making decision to exclude it is so simple. If sugar/soft drinks/candies are taxed, maybe my husband will stop asking me to buy diet soda for him (I do not like having it in the house even if I do not drink it).

I believe that food should be more expensive, that will make me more selective in my choices & maybe even make me eat less (that would be the day!)

And I am happy that I pay taxes, though I wish I had more say in how they are used by the Government. But, if I truly wanted it, I would be politically more active. I am lazy, so I just let others decide.
    Last edited by Leida; 06-05-2013 at 07:39 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

kenn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KimchiNinja View Post
    Why don't they just turn sugar off?

It didn't work, so just stop doing that.

Sort of like agriculture in general, once humans start a bad idea they can't just let it go.
    Once you start a government program, good luck shutting it down.
    Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
    Starting Weight: 294 pounds
    Current Weight: 235 pounds
    Goal Weight: 195 pounds

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast