Thread: Melbourne, Australia page

steven.kelly is online now Senior Member

Melbourne, Australia

Shop Now
    Hey,

Just wondering if there are any people in Melbourne AUS that are primal and can recommend reliable and quality poultry and grass fed beef etc. stores or online companies to order from? And generally good stores to buy food?

Allenete is offline Senior Member
    Australian beef is grass-fed, or just grain-finished before they're taken away to slaughter. Aldi sells beef that's actually labelled "grass-fed" but you can be pretty comfortable buying beef here. And I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but, eat kangaroo!

Poultry I don't buy anymore because it's just too hard to buy anything that isn't pumped full of hormones or lived its whole life in a battery. I'd be glad to know of other options if someone knows...?

PBNewby is offline Senior Member
    The sad part for me is, living in the USA, my local supermarket has grass-fed beef. Where does it come from? Answer: Australia. :-(
    Began Primal Living: 25 Sep 2012
    Starting Weight: 82kg (180 lbs) - Lost 30 lbs since going Primal!

"I do not eat enough carbs to justify eating low-fat."
    "Have some bread with your bread, pasta, bread, and HFCS." - Unicorn
    "I also walk my dog twice a day now instead of paying someone else to do it." - IronGirl
    "Tell me you're not weak minded enough to be outsmarted by a donut?" - not on the rug

Quote Originally Posted by Allenete View Post
    Australian beef is grass-fed, or just grain-finished before they're taken away to slaughter. Aldi sells beef that's actually labelled "grass-fed" but you can be pretty comfortable buying beef here. And I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but, eat kangaroo!

Poultry I don't buy anymore because it's just too hard to buy anything that isn't pumped full of hormones or lived its whole life in a battery. I'd be glad to know of other options if someone knows...?
    So, buying beef from Coles, Safeway, Tasman Meats is fine? My concern is just the use of chemicals and I'd be willing to spend more money knowing that it is a reliable brand/seller.

loplop is offline Junior Member
    There's a good organic butcher at Vic Market who mainly sells beef, and I think also has a stall at Prahan. Can't remember the name but if you're in the meat hall at Vic Market with the fish section behind you, you want to be in the right hand aisle. It's pricey though, very pricey.

I used to get Elgaar cream from one of the stalls in the organic section at Vic Market as well. Man, I loved that stuff. Moved to the UK and can't get cream to rival it. That stall has a few things that might be useful but again it's pricey.

I know it's not what you were actually after by way of recommendation but one of the shops that made my primal eating much easier was gewurzhaus, original store on Lygon St but also in Block Arcade and Armadale. It's a spice shop that does amazing blends, sells lots of different salts too, plus dried chillies etc. Good options for livening up some of your meals and also for inspiration.

Thanks!