Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Low calories experience! page

premier89 is offline Member

Low calories experience!

Primal Fuel
    So i've plateued a bit and decided to try eating low calories. I usually ate around 1600-1800 calories which was recommended based on my bmr and activity level. I eat around 1,000-1,100 calories now by cutting out lunch and not cooking with oils. It's been a week and i feel fine, i even feel leaner, but i don't think it's that much muscle loss because i exercise 3x a week. Has anyone eaten low calories long term before? I don't plan on eating this low forever, but i can continue doing this until i reach my goal. I eat more calories once a week, usually saturdays since i go out with friends.

Current meals:
    Breakfast: 6 pasture raised eggs
    Dinner: cod fish or salmon with 6 more eggs.

I used to eat a big salad for lunch. Also, the reason i add in eggs for dinner is because i can't eat beef, i don't like chicken, and wild fish can get pricey

Sorry forthe long post, but appreciate feedback, thanks!

Allenete is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by premier89 View Post
    but i don't think it's that much muscle loss because i exercise 3x a week.
    Right, exercise alone is not what builds and retains muscle. When working out, you must supply fuel for these muscles to build themselves and prevent yourself getting catabolic. People who are not trying to lose fat but build muscle actually need to eat a surplus of calories...

So, a calorie deficit for weight loss is on OK thing to do. But if you're working out 3 times a week, you need to eat more on those days.

Maybe try some IF, to kick things off again.

Well my workouts aren't crazy. I do pushups, squats, pullups, and bicep curls. Takes about 15 min.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Looks good for the short term. Nice choice of foods, IMO.

If you start getting weak at all, just add a couple hundred more fat calories, like sour cream with your eggs.

I don't feel weak at all, but I was thinking about adding in coconut oil to my eggs in the morning for extra energy.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Restricting calories for a while isn't going to kill you. It's not even necessarily going to put you into "hibernation" mode and ruin your future life. Especially since you let your body know that calories are available by increasing them once a week.

From my experience, there's a huge difference between eating fewer calories by eating mostly crap "diet food," and eating lower calories by simply cutting out the white stuff (pasta, bread, sugar, etc.). A cup of "diet" ice cream probably won't kill you, but people who reduce calories and subsist on prepackaged meals like WW and Lean Cuisine aren't doing their bodies much good. You're keeping it primal, and if you feel good and aren't starving to the point that your pet starts looking like something you might want to grill, you're fine.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    Do a weekly carb refeed to prevent any unnecessary metabolic slowdown.

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    I've been doing 800cals for 48 days and feel great. Stick with your plan for a few weeks but try to get a few vegetables in
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

Do any of you do this on a regular basis or just to reach your body fat goal? I can actually see myself doing this daily, maybe add in a salad/fruit here and there for lunch, but only if I really get hungry. I'm just worried about my health and metabolism

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    In my 48 years I have never been able to restrict calories, lose weight AND keep it off after resuming a more normal eating plan. Perhaps it would work on primal foods, but I suspect that to get lean and stay lean I would need to learn to exist in perpetuity on a reduced calorie plan.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast