Thread: Long distance jogging V. Sprinting page

Natureman Guest

Long distance jogging V. Sprinting

Primal Fuel
    So, I go to a park close to where I live to exercise. I see some people doing a slow or semi-slow jog around the center of the forest (there's a path that goes in a circle around an area of woods). and others sprint. I am trying to do a little of both but I feel better when I only do sprints.

I have read and heard that doing semi long distance jogging/running too often is not good for the body, while sprinting maybe once or twice a week is better and more natural. But it seems like people who jog long distances build up their endurance and are better able to control their breathing compared to sprinters.

From what I read in Marks book, sprinting once a week is a good cardio. Is two or more times a week sprinting good? Should long distance running be out or only once a week? Any runners here care to weigh in?

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    The damage of long distance running is similar to that of a poor diet: it will show itself in the long run, with some immediate damage that is not easily recognizable.

I think totally avoiding running is also foolish. I would say a 5k a week is no big deal, that's three miles, if you can't run three miles you need to turn in your human card.

I vastly prefer sprinting, it just makes a lot more sense. Sprinting 2x/week is safe and should be enough to provide good results. I would think 2x sprinting plus a 5k (or thereabouts) a week is very prudent.

I personally don't do much slow running because I really dislike it. There is almost nothing about jogging that is appealing to me. That said, I've done quite a few 5K's with friends and am always able to complete them with a good time and without feeling like I put in much effort.

I always read about people on facebook talking about their love/hate relationship with jogging, and it's usually almost always more hate than love and I wonder why the fuck they bother. If jogging was such a miraculous activity nobody would be fat.
    I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

kansas-klx is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hey Natureman,

Here's how I do my jogging/sprinting to keep max anaerobic CV fitness plus the ability to transition to longer distances, if I desire to do so later on. In essence, I work both sides of the aerobic versus anaerobic fence in the same session and it doesn't take long at all.

Total distance 2 miles:

1) Jump rope for 5 minutes of warm up.

2) Run 1st mile at a light to moderate jog pace to get ready for the sprinting main event of mile #2. Don't overcook yourself here since the sprint portion is the object of the exercise.
    (Note, the first couple of 2-miler sessions for sprinting I walked the 1st mile for warm up but both times felt like I was about to tear a muscle during the sprint phase so switched to the jogging to fix this.)

3) For the 2nd mile I do full-on sprint intervals using utility poles for my markers for the entire distance. You can use any intervals or markers you like but for me this is convenient.

4) Done! Can either continue walking for a while or go home and continue with the rest of the day/evening. Tonight's session took less than 30 minutes, including the rope work.

I'm primarily a bicyclist but still want to stay in touch with my running "roots" because once in a while I may feel the urge to take off on a longer run when autumn arrives. I do this already twice a week and don't think it overstresses a thing. There's simply not enough mileage to cause the chronic cardio problems that Mark and others write about concerning the longer miles.

Anyway, this is what works for me. Maybe try it and see how it works for you.

All the best.