Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How Do You Roast Your Chicken? page

Pax
    Pax is offline Junior Member

How Do You Roast Your Chicken?

A cooked rotisserie chicken from the grocery store has been a staple of mine for a long time. It is one of my favorite foods! However, In an effort to cut out the additives and preservatives that are found in prepared foods I would like to roast my own. There are a million different roast chicken recipes online so I was wondering if someone could point me in the direction of one that you thought actually tasted like rotisserie chicken so I can eliminate some of the trial and error I would have to go through in recipe testing. Thanks!

Kaylee99 is offline Senior Member
    (This is what I do though I'm not sure how close to rotisserie chicken it will be-its been years since I had one and I've forgotten how they taste.)

The basic recipe:
    Remove guts from chicken. Pat dry. Season inside and out with salt, garlic, and pepper. Bake breast-side up at 375 degrees for about an hour (till done), baste occasionally if you remember (I usually don't). The chickens I get are usually fatty and even though I trim off as much fat as possible they don't end up dry or tough cooking this way.

Modifications:
    Wrap with bacon
    Stuff bits of butter under the skin (helps to get the skin really crispy and keep breast meat from drying out-also adds flavor)
    Season with salt, garlic, rosemary, and lemon-pepper inside and out. (Also lay thin slices of lemon over breast area to add lemon flavor)
    Slather BBQ sauce on the last 15-20 minutes of cooking

Something I've been doing lately to get baked chicken, veggies, and gravy all at once:

Brown all sides in duck fat using an oven-safe pan. Once brown lay breast-side up and add carrots, onions, and celery to pan and inside chicken. Bake in 350 degree oven for 45 minutes (or till done).
    Remove chicken, set aside to rest.
    Strain veggies from pan liquids for a side dish.
    Add about a cup of water, chicken broth or wine to pan and deglaze the pan. Add 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup heavy cream if you want a creamier gravy. Simmer and reduce to desired thickness. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed. You can also leave the veggies in and use an immersion blender to blend them in with the cooking liquids for a thicker gravy.

You can also pan-fry mushrooms in the cooking liquid and make a tasty gravy from there.
    See what I'm up to: The Primal Gardener

Paleobird Guest
    Hello fellow San Diegan!

Cooking a chicken is really pretty easy. Stick it in the oven at 350 till crispy golden. Maybe turn it over once in the middle of cooking to get both sides evenly.

From there you can get as fancy as you want to. Try taking a whole lemon and giving it minor stab wounds all over then insert that in the chicken and roast. The lemon flavor infuses into the meat.

Also add your basic salt and pepper rubdown of the bird before cooking plus any seasonings that tickle your taste buds. A little cayenne pepper is nice and give a pretty color as well.

Then you can talk about stuffings, but that is a whole different subject.

Give it a try. Not that hard.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    I do two things, depending on mood:

Stand the bird up on an upright chicken roaster stand thingy and roast OR

Spatchcock it and lay it out in a roasting pan. (Spatchcocked chicken is just when you cut through the bird from neck to tail along the backbone in order to lay it out flat - that is all. The breasts are still connected. I have proper poultry shears that do that job in a jiffy, safely.)

In both cases I rub down with a generous portion of any seasoned salt that takes my fancy at the time (I have several in my spice cabinet). If your bird has some fat on it - all the better, as you will have moist meat that way. Literally roast until the skin is crispy - plain old 350F is good.

Like Paleobird said, from there you can get fancy. Sometimes I like to rub butter and herbs between the skin and muscles.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    I always do it butterfly--remove the backbone then lay each half in a pan.

Sometimes I'll blast it for like ~8 minutes at 475F to crisp the skin then reduce to 350 until done.
    I'm pretty lazy with the seasonings though. The most effort I'll do is get some "poultry" blend of refrigerated herbs, chop, and sprinkle before cooking. I have an old bottle of Ali's barbecue sauce that works too (uses stevia and molasses).
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

FoodLoveJoy is offline Junior Member
    Glad to hear you're wanting to do it yourself. As an added benefit you can use the leftover bones and carcass to make stock, which is one of the best things to have sitting around the kitchen.

Simple is best. Season it with salt and pepper, truss it with a string, then stick it in the oven at high temperature (usually 425 or 450) for about 50-60 minutes.

This recipe has never failed me: My Favorite Simple Roast Chicken Recipe at Epicurious.com

PRO199 is offline Senior Member
    I'm a big fan of the beer can method for the grill. But it is not quite the same as rotisserie. I bought a Ronco Compact Rotisserie, like THIS ONE, for when I gotta have rotisserie.
    Follow my progress at ->Journal: My Body Revival

Pax
    Pax is offline Junior Member
    Thank you all for the suggestions! I think I'll pick one up for roasting this weekend and probably start simple with salt, pepper, lemon & butter.

I also like the idea of using the carcass to make stock, since I make LOTS of soups! I haven't made my own before, do you add other things like seasonings or veggies or is it just straight up chicken? And how long can I expect it to last in the fridge? Should I freeze it if I'm not planning on using it right away?

lemontwisst is offline Senior Member
    I always brine a chicken before roasting it, for at least 24 hours. It's pretty simple...make a brine of 1/4c. salt to a gallon of water, add whatever herbs and spices you like. Toss your bird in a bag, cover it with the brine, tie up the bag and put it in the fridge (in a big bowl or something for stability and to save the day if the bag leaks/tears). After brining, rinse the bird well, inside and out, then pat dry and season it how you want. I like rubbing the breast (under the skin) with butter, then stuffing smashed garlic cloves and slices of lemon between the meat and skin. More butter rubbed on the outside, salt and pepper all over, maybe some slices of lemon and springs of dill or rosemary in the cavity then roast at 350 until it's done. The stand-up beer can roaster things work really well.

Zanna is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I like to spatchcock the bird myself. I melt butter, then add some minced tarragon and marjoram and brush that over the bird. Then salt liberally, add pepper and put bird on a wire rack over a roasting pan. In the pan, I put cut up potatoes, onions and carrots - all of the chicken fat and butter will drench the potatoes and veggies. The potatoes and veggies will be ridiculously tasty. Put it in a 350 degree oven for 45 minutes, take out and baste, then back in until its done. I'll turn the oven off and leave the bird there for a bit, seems to crisp the skin up more.

Mark did a recent post on perfect roast chicken, but I didn't think his skin got dark or crispy enough. He is right that you shouldn't rinse the bird and that it needs to be dry before you season it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast