Thread: Question about making a roux page

JoanieL is offline Senior Member

Question about making a roux

Primal Fuel
    I know how to make a basic roux, and I usually use butter.

I was wondering if any of you have had luck or mishaps using other of our favorite primal fats like olive oil, lard, beef tallow, or coconut oil?

Thanks in advance for any tips, tricks, hints, etc.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

aliphian is offline Senior Member
    I've made roux with multiple types of fat. The flour is the non-primal part that is kind of necessary.

I've used bacon fat, butter, sausage fat, beef fat, chicken fat...

They all do pretty much the same thing. I am just wondering what you are using instead of wheat flour.
    Last edited by aliphian; 06-04-2013 at 11:20 AM.
    The above should be viewed as complete and utter nonsense.

Thanks, aliphian, that's good to know. I'm using this: Glutino Gluten Free Pantry All-Purpose Flour, 16-Ounce Boxes (Pack of 6): Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food

I mostly use it for putting a crisp on something I want to fry (like oysters or squid), or as a substitute for bread crumbs in meat loaves. However, when I tried making Brazilian Cheese bread with it (which uses only tapioca flour), it came out nasty.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Paleobird Guest
    I've used water chestnut powder (available at most asian stores) instead of the flour and it was delicious.

Duck fat roux is da bomb.

Jamie Madrox is offline Senior Member
    ive used gelatin and arrowroot powder to success in rouxs.

also sweet potato and rice flour work well.

Zanna is offline Senior Member
    I've used potato flour a bunch lately. Any fat works - I use tallow, butter etc. I think the important bits are to keep stirring the roux so it doesn't burn and make sure the liquid you use to whisk the roux with is hot. I've used cold liquid before and hot seems to work better.

Thanks everyone. I ended up using olive oil and the flour mentioned above, and it worked really well.

Then I added some goat milk (which I buy dry, then add water) and some Romano and cheddar for a yummy cheese sauce. I was in the mood for mac 'n' cheese, but alas, I made rice 'n' cheese which is my substitute for my mac 'n' cheese habit. It doesn't rear its head too often, but when it does, I just gotta have it.

As a note, the above flour has guar gum listed as its last ingredient, so for some folks, it might be a no no. However, for a single person with not a lot of storage space, it's fairly convenient to have an AP GF flour around for breading things, etc. I'm guessing that for the bakers among us, it would be stupidly expensive.

B*tch-lite