Thread: Guar gum page

brooke.S. is offline Senior Member

Guar gum

Shop Now
    I've recently been making ice cream at home. Sometimes I will add 1/4 tsp of guar gum to help with the creaminess.

I know guar gum can cause some people problems but I haven't noticed any. What are your thoughts on that amount maybe 2-3 times per week?

otzi Guest
    My thoughts on guar gum is that it is an awesome addition to the Primal Blueprint diet and shouldn't be limited. use as much as you like. Use it in whatever you like.

Dietary fiber - Guide to Health | GuideToHealth.com

Guar Gum is a powerful prebiotic, meaning it provides food the the gut microbes who are responsible for your overall health. There are many other prebiotics, such as the inulin found in onions and garlic, the fructo-oligosaccharides found in bananas, asparagus, and jerusalem artichokes. Unfortunately, most people get very few prebiotics in the PB diet, so I think guar gum is an excellent choice for your homemade ice cream--eat it guilt free!

Paleobird Guest
    I'm not saying a little in some ice cream now and then will kill you but Otzi, it's not a dietary panacea either.

The Harmful Side Effects Of Guar Gum | LIVESTRONG.COM

and carries some serious risks.

Plus it's a legume. If one is being strictly Primal, legumes are out. You have to decide if you care about that or not.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I'm not saying a little in some ice cream now and then will kill you but Otzi, it's not a dietary panacea either.

The Harmful Side Effects Of Guar Gum | LIVESTRONG.COM

and carries some serious risks.

Plus it's a legume. If one is being strictly Primal, legumes are out. You have to decide if you care about that or not.
    I figure if Mark likes guar gum, I like guar gum. I think that using it in some ice cream, (which I want the recipe for, please), in the amount that turns the ice cream into a wonderful creamy summer-time delight, is perfectly fine. If anyone misconstrued my comment as meaning you should eat guar gum by the spoonful, I apologize.

Vegetable gums sound a bit unappetizing, but they’re used in a lot of Asian cooking. Essentially pure fiber that absorbs moisture to form a gel, the most popular of the vegetable gums are xanthan gum and guar gum. Sprinkle over sauces while whisking to thicken, but be cautious – a little bit goes a long, long way, and too much will make your sauce “gummy” and “gooey” rather than creamy. - Mark Sisson

Read more: Low Carb Thickener | Mark's Daily Apple

GiGiEats is offline Senior Member
    There are pros & cons... For me, Guar Gum tends to bloat me up a bit, same with Xanthan gum, however a little goes a long way!

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    My thoughts on guar gum is that it is an awesome addition to the Primal Blueprint diet and shouldn't be limited. use as much as you like. Use it in whatever you like.

Guar Gum is a powerful prebiotic, meaning it provides food the the gut microbes who are responsible for your overall health.
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    If anyone misconstrued my comment as meaning you should eat guar gum by the spoonful, I apologize.
    It did kind of sound like that. Glad that's not what you meant.

brooke.S. is offline Senior Member
    Thank you otzi and Paleobird!

Otzi, I posted the recipe in the Recipes Section.

You're right GiGi, it does go a long way.