Thread: Journal - Mick page

Mick Guest

Primal Fuel

Here's Sunday 26 July.

Breakfast:

10 ml cod liver oil & 10 ml butter,

1 raw egg yolk,

1 soft-boiled egg,

1 slice (20 g) Finnish-style sourdough rye bread spread with 2 teaspoons goose fat,

125 g natural wholemilk yoghurt,

100 g blueberries,

1 cup rosehip tea

Lunch:

cup of homemade chicken broth,

roast pork with crackling (about 6 oz./170 g),

parsnips roasted in olive oil,

steamed leeks,

two (4 or 5 ounce) glasses of red wine,

bowl of raspberries,

2 squares 85% dark chocolate,

demitasse of black coffee

Supper:

large bowl of watercress dressed with olive oil & wine vinegar,

handful of small tomatoes,

unpasteurized Gruyere cheese (45 g)

1 cup camomile tea

Exercise:

two half-hour walks, one in the early morning and one in the evening,

three quarters of an hour gardening

Main meal lunchtime as it's Sunday. I've cut down on the drink, which I do enjoy. I'm also going easy on tea and coffee right now - plain water and herbal teas go down OK. Would like to include some lactic-fermented drinks, since those are supposed to help digestion. I plan to get in some climbing and scrambling, some sprinting, and some swimming this week. Got in 20 minutes "meditation" - more lying down listening to a relaxing soundtrack and trying to tune out of too much mental chatter, but good to do, anyway.

I felt good. Plenty of energy.

Mick Guest

I must get round to obtaining a kombucha culture or making kvass. In the meantime ... I bought a jar of umeboshi puree.

http://www.clearspring.co.uk/japanese/sushi/umepuree

I understand this to be lactic-fermented plums (strictly ume fruit). You can make a drink by dissolving a pea-sized piece in a glass of water. I used a little more - it was very salty.

Breakfast: 10 ml cod liver oil, 10 ml butter, an orange, porridge (40 g of oats) with two teaspoons butter & one teaspoon heather honey, poached smoked haddock (80 g), unpasteurized milk (200 ml), water with umeboshi puree in

Lunch: dressed watercress, a handful of small tomatoes, Gruyere cheese (70 g), peppermint tea

Dinner: a few small sticks of celery, three Sicilian-style pork sausages, sauerkraut, natural Greek-style yoghurt (100 g), banana, rosehip tea

I could have eaten more sausages - delicious.

Exercise: an hour or more walking and also climbing and scrambling.

Feeling very fit - could do more now.

Mmmmm... Kombucha.

If made right, it's a great alternative to fizzy sodas!

I like to soak fresh ginger into the hot water while the tea bags are in there! (I miss my scoby!)

Mick Guest

So I did something about the kombucha. I've ordered a culture:

http://www.sulis-health.co.uk/kombucha/supplies.shtml

I used to make this years ago and then gave up. When I found it in Nourishing Traditions it jogged my memory. It seems to be great stuff. I looked out my old Kombucha book -

http://www.sulis-health.co.uk/kombucha/handbook.shtml

- and that said that the Russians had found that people who traditionally drank it had stayed relatively healthy even in some of the polluted areas that the USSR was notorious for.

Exercise: about 3/4 hour walking, including some running.

Breakfast: 10 ml cod liver oil, 10 ml butter, ˝ a grapefruit, porridge (40 g of oats), 2 teaspoons butter, 1 teaspoon heather honey, poached smoked haddock (75 g), unpasteurized milk (200 ml), water with umeboshi puree in

Lunch: a few small sticks of celery, dressed watercress, a handful of small tomatoes, 1 tablespoon of butter, Manchego cheese (70 g), peppermint tea

Dinner: pea & ham soup, 2 lamb chops (110 g), 2 new potatoes (70 g) with butter, carrots, mushrooms fried in olive oil & butter, natural Greek-style yoghurt (100 g), rosehip tea, 500 ml bottle of organic unpasteurized beer - Ridgeway Rob, bought at a local health food store. The brewery hasn't got a site, but this is the beer:

http://www.livingbeer.com/brewery.aspx?mid=24

Good, nice citrus character from the hops - could even smell it before drinking. You can keep the pasteurized, filtered stuff. Why drink dead beer?

I also had a snack in the afternoon: 3 dried figs, cup of green tea

I was surprised how much two small new potatoes weigh. Weighing them was an eye-opener. My own weight isn't a problem for me and, heck, I'm not going to get frightened of root vegetables, but I can see how people could eat 4, 5, or 6 medium-sized ones and be getting quite a lot more carbohydrate than would be good for them.

Again I felt pretty good. I had the odd dry place now and then, but skin is very good since upping fat intake and cutting down on carbohydrates.

I NEVER thought about drinking 'unpasteurized' beer! Heck, I didn't even know the stuff existed! Man I love this forum! ;-)

You had oats huh? I can't have many carbs anymore, since my stomach starts to bloat and I get a headache or my glands get sore.

Your food looks tasty though!

I'm gonna have to check out that brewery or the beer!

Mick Guest

If you're in the States there's Sierra Nevada. Their pale ale is unpasteurized and very good. It's even sold quite widely in the UK where there's a quite a bit of natural beer already available. Great stuff:

http://www.sierranevada.com/beers/paleale.html

There are almost certainly others. Same for Canada and Australia, I think.

The one I'd like to try is Finnish Sahti beer, which is flavoured with juniper berries. Very natural product - I think it's still made in hollowed out logs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sahti

Yum. Juniper Berries Beer.

Thanks Mick! I'll take a look at Sierra Nevada. I'm pretty close to Canada, wonder if I can find any of it around...

Mick Guest

Sauna today - steam-bathing, a very primal type of bathing. :-)

Here's an interesting thing: I found I could stand the cold shower really well today. I wonder if this is nutritional. There's a lot in the ethnographic literature indicating tribal peoples thought nothing of bathing in icy streams and so on. Of course, they were used to it, but was it also because their diet was better?

Exercise: quite a lot of walking, some of it carrying stuff. Note to self: more variation. Oh, and an attempt to wind down - listened to a "meditation" tape. I think I feel asleep - is that bad or good?

Breakfast: 10 ml cod liver oil, 10 ml butter, ˝ a grapefruit, two soft-boiled eggs, piece of Russian sourdough rye bread with butter, unpasteurized milk (200 ml), water with umeboshi puree in

Lunch: chilled gazpacho soup, smoked mackerel (80 g), Gruyere cheese (40 g), piece of butter

Snack: a fresh fig, cup of green tea

Dinner: dressed rocket leaves, handful of small tomatoes, lamb broth, 2 pork sausages, lamb’s liver (155 g), slices of cold potato fried in goose fat, natural yoghurt (100 g) with sliced kiwi fruit, 1 teaspoon heather honey, rosehip tea. (Pretty full after that lot, but I want to be sure I'm eating enough after cutting out so much bread, pasta, rice, etc.)

A little tired in the afternoon at around 2 - had that a little on some previous days. I know this is a low point for everyone, but I'm a little surprised that I seem a little tireder at this time than before (when my lunch would have been sandwiches). Maybe I need to adjust. Maybe I need more lactic foods to boost my digestion or something.

Mick Guest

What do I have to say new? Don't want to just give lists of things and bore anyone who might read this.

I'm reading one of Vilhjalmur Stefansson's books. This one is called North West to Fortune. Interestingly, he quotes from a 17th-century source about what he calls the Eskimoized Scandinavians on Greenland:
    [quote]

as for the people who inhabit this country, our travellers saw two sorts, who live together in good accord and perfect amity. One kind are tall of stature, well built physically, rather fair of complexion, and very fleet of foot. the others are very much smaller, olive-complexioned, fairly well-proportioned save that their legs are short and thick. The first delight in hunting, to which they are inclined by their agility and their great natural aptness; the others pursue fishing. Both kinds have very white and close-set teeth, black hair, bright eyes, and such regular features that no striking deformity could be seen</blockquote>

So there you go. If you want perfect teeth - and "regular features" - you need a natural diet. (You also need your parents to have had one.) The 17th-century source is naively telling us, without realizing it, just what Weston Price found in the 1930s. Stefansson seems to have been onto some of this even before Price. He specifically comments in one book that archaeological finds show that Icelanders had perfect teeth for a thousand years ... until modern times.

What a shame these books have lain under dust these past 70 years. Whole generations of children with bad teeth just because their parents didn&#39;t know what to eat and what to feed them.

Exercise: some walking and some DIY.

Food - let&#39;s just list dinner:

sirloin steak 195 g (about 7 oz.), steamed asparagus (locally grown), one small new potato, butter with all those, of course. Also some red onion fried in olive oil. Then a large serving of organic Greek yoghurt and a handful of cherries (local again).

To drink - a 500 ml bottle of unpasteurized beer, Hammerpot Brewery&#39;s White Wing:

http://www.hammerpot-brewery.co.uk/index.php?pr=White_Wing_notes

I did have a cup of tea in the afternoon, although I&#39;m mostly avoiding caffeine. Apparently, one study found calcium in people&#39;s urine shortly after drinking coffee. But you can&#39;t give up everything - just being moderate. This is also why I allow myself beer, cider, or wine on some days.

A low point again mid-afternoon. Maybe it&#39;s a transitional thing.

Mick Guest

I now have kombucha fermenting in the airing cupboard and beetroot kvass on the side in the kitchen. I also sent off for some piima culture.

I&#39;ve been toying with the idea of sourdough bread, too. (I avoid quick-rise yeast bread now.) I&#39;ve been buying craft-made sourdough rye loaves. They&#39;re a bit expensive, but since I don&#39;t use a lot of bread ...

There&#39;s a method for making your own sourdough starter in Nourishing Traditions, but maybe a known good starter would be better. There&#39;s a British source here:

http://www.wildyeastbakery.co.uk/07-cultures.htm

Perhaps I&#39;ll hold off on that for now. I&#39;ll have so many things fermenting here.

I made stock, too. Stock and "bone broth" seems to have been very important in traditional societies. They make a big thing of it Nourishing Traditions. These days even restaurants use bought-in "stock" - which is mostly hydrolyzed vegetable protein.

What do you pay for when you got "out" to eat? It seems to me that, unless you really pay a lot and go somewhere where they actually do do everything from scratch, you can mostly eat better at home.

The point of stock seems to be not just "saltiness" or "meatiness" but complex flavours and, of course, recovering minerals from the bones in it. (This is why Nourishing Traditions says to add a spoonful or two of cider vinegar.) Using bones isn&#39;t something primitive people neglected. Cabeza de Vaca writes of Florida Indians saving fish bones, grinding them up, and sprinkling the powder in their food.

Stock should be gelatinized, so it sets a little in the fridge. If you couldn&#39;t get enough bones/carcasses to make it strong enough, you could add a little good-quality gelatine to some of the stock when you heat it for soup.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast