Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Journal - Mick page 2

Mick Guest

Primal Fuel

So it's time to re-assess again, I think.

I think I may just stop drinking completely for awhile. I think a little with food is OK, but I'm always inclined to have too much. Bump into a friend and the suggestion is always to go to the pub.

Yesterday there were two things that made me re-asses. The first was the film Spencer posted about sugar, which incidentally showed how alcohol is metabolized by the liver. The second was that I drank a bottle of cider. It was only a 500 ml bottle, but it was strong cider, and I drank it in-between meals. Well, it left me feeling tired and drained. What was I doing in the past accustoming myself to having three, or four, or five pints, on occasion, if even one can wipe you out? Do I want more energy or less?

I'm going to make some yoghurt this weekend. Kombucha tea is coming along nicely. I'm not so sure about the beet kvass.

Catalina is offline Member

I'd be interested to hear about how the beet kvass is--I saw a recipe in Sally Fallon's Nourishing Traditions cookbook, but haven't had the guts to try it. Are you adding any cream to the milk when you make your yogurt? I've fallen in love with Greek yogurt, but haven't found a full-fat organic brand, and I'd love to replicate it at home.

Best of luck on your food/beverage journey!

Mick Guest

[quote]

I&#39;d be interested to hear about how the beet kvass is</blockquote>

Not working for me. I think that could be because I skimmed some yoghurt-like globules off the surface, thinking my whey wasn&#39;t clear enough and they weren&#39;t needed. I wonder if they were. BTW, you can apparently, miss the whey out and double the salt instead. The kvass is in the fridge now. After another day or two I may just strain out the beetroot, put the liquid in a glass jar, and leave it in the fridge for awhile.

The Kombucha is working just fine.
    [quote]

Are you adding any cream to the milk when you make your yogurt?</blockquote>

I just used some good organic full-cream milk that was pasteurized but not homogenized. After I&#39;d made the yoghurt I did strain it, though. I just left it for an hour in a colander lined with a double-layer of butter muslin. It&#39;s still fairly thin. Maybe I should add cream and/or strain more.

I just used a small carton of full-fat organic natural yoghurt as a starter. The carton made a point of saying how their cows fed on clover-rich grass. It is very nice yoghurt, too, and reasonably thick - thicker than I could replicate.

I have found a few places selling cultures online - e.g.:

http://www.fermentedtreasures.com/yogurt.html

It&#39;s interesting how many different cultures there are. Greek yoghurt, listed there, seems to have a distinctive culture of its own.

Mick Guest

Got some gardening in over the weekend and, for a change, took a short walk with a heavy rucksack. Meant to get in swimming, but didn&#39;t in the end.

Breakfast this morning:

2 tsp. (10 ml) cod liver oil, 2 boiled eggs, soured oatmeal porridge (1 oz./28 g dry oats lactic fermented in water), butter (3/4 oz./20 g), unpasteurized milk (7 fl. oz./200 ml), blueberries (1 cup), water with umeboshi puree in

I&#39;m cutting back on the carbohydrate-rich foods, but porridge made with an ounce of oatmeal really doesn&#39;t make even a small bowlful. An ounce and a half would be more of a mouthful but still leave the porridge in a supporting role compared with the more fat-rich foods.

Found some organic black pudding online. That&#39;s tempting:

http://www.bumpylane.co.uk/puddings_f.html

... and a Gordon Ramsay suggestion to serve it with salad leaves and poached eggs, which sounds good:

http://ramsayspubfoodathome.com/sala...h-poached-egg/

Mick Guest

Large organic rib steak yesterday evening. It was knocked down in price as today was the sell-by date, but it was still expensive. This is one reason people don&#39;t eat so much meat. The dire (but false) warnings of the prophets of doom about "unhealthy" food tends to fall on fertile soil, if the food they choose to denounce is not cheap, because no one likes opening his wallet. (Booze if, of course, an exception: people will pay to get that. You can get a nice large piece of meat for the price of a pint or two.)

Someone commented on my Terra Plana Vivo "Barefoot" shoes. This was someone who knows quite a lot about the body and movement, but who clearly hadn&#39;t heard of the shoes and didn&#39;t recognize them.

He pointed out how much toespring (upward curve at the toes) they have. He said, "Those shoes you&#39;re wearing hold your toes up: they don&#39;t allow your toes to make contact with the ground."

He&#39;s quite right. Rossi - the podiatrist who long pointed out that barefoot societies have healthier feet - has an article in which he pinpoints something like 8 or 9 common faults in shoes. One fault is toespring. The Vivos don&#39;t have many of these common faults, but they do have that one. The toespring on them is more extreme than on many standard shoes. That&#39;s bad. It undermines the structure of the foot. I don&#39;t think I&#39;d buy Vivos again.

Breakfast: 2 tsp. (10 ml) cod liver oil, 2 sausages, soured oatmeal porridge (1 oz./42 g dry oats lactic fermented in water), butter (3/4 oz./20 g), teaspoon of honey, unpasteurized milk (7 fl. oz./200 ml), apple, water with umeboshi puree in

Catalina is offline Member

Thanks for the info on the kvass (may give it a miss!) and the yogurt--I&#39;ll check out that website for cultures (I&#39;d really like to get that nice, thick almost-cream-cheese texture!)

eva
    eva is offline Senior Member

i usually make my own black pudding i think i have the recepy in my journal (not the challenge journal but the normal one) and i love it with horseraddish paste and siple granny smith apple wedges

challenge yourself
    i blog here http://theprimalwoman.blogspot.com/

Mick Guest

I threw the kvass away. I&#39;d strained it off and put it in a large kilner jar, but every time I opened or shut the fridge some managed to find its way through the lid seal. It doesn&#39;t seem to have fermented, although it might have in time. I just can&#39;t be bothered with it.

I&#39;ve got hold of a piima culture now. That&#39;ll make a change from yoghurt.

Found a jar of virgin coconut oil in a health food shop yesterday. Also picked up a few herbal teas. I hardly touch coffee now, and it doesn&#39;t taste particularly good to me when I do, although I used to enjoy it a lot. It&#39;s funny how fast your tastes can change. People who say things like, "I couldn&#39;t drink it without sugar," are mistaken. Give it a couple of weeks and they wouldn&#39;t care for it with. It&#39;s just what you&#39;re accustomed to.

I also bought some unpasteurized Vacherin Fribourgeois cheese. It seems to be Swiss from the Fribourg canton. Looking forward to that.

Some swimming and some gardening this weekend, I hope.

Mick Guest

[quote]

i usually make my own black pudding i think i have the recepy in my journal (not the challenge journal but the normal one) and i love it with horseraddish paste and siple granny smith apple wedges </blockquote>

Yeah, better to make it.

Are the apples slices fried or raw? I&#39;ve seen some French pork recipes with apple slices fried in butter, which sounds nice.

Speaking of which, I usually eat my apples raw, but I did see recently that fruits that are high in pectin can be kinder to the stomach cooked, which got me remembering how my mother used to make us baked apples and stewed apples.

eva
    eva is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

i like them raw but i will definately try them fried in butter NOW

challenge yourself
    i blog here http://theprimalwoman.blogspot.com/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast