Thread: new member, new adventure... page

Goosefeather is offline Junior Member

new member, new adventure...

Primal Fuel
    Hi all.

Been a diabetic since the age of 21 and have tried many different ways to shed the lbs but nothing works. Ive always been active playing rugby twice a week and training, but now i have retired i have to find others ways. So now i play hockey twice a week, badminton once a week and walk 2 miles a day, so still pretty active. However, the weight just seems to pile on and i couldnt stop it. I have joined and quit both weight watchers and slimming world since january as it wasnt working no matter how rigidly i stuck to the plan. I then remembered his site from some time ago and had a perusal. Then it all made sense. Carbs! Carbs, the evil little things have always been "essential" to diabetic eating plans but noone associates carbs with weight gain within the dietition/nuttition circuit. Yet it is so simple. Insulin s required to keep bgl regulated. Insulin stores unused carbs as fat. More carbs such as pasta = more insulin to counter it = more fat stored. That was when i decided to take the bull by the horns and go low carb!!! So i guess this is my official "hi" and look forward to this special journey.

Gwynnda is offline Member
    Hi GooseFeather, WELCOME! We all have a reason why we are here. For me, it's weight lose for a better blood panel (cholesterol). I started 5/16 and already I have more energy that I can remember. To me, carbs are evil unless they come from a plant. There is a ton of information available to help you but it can get overwhelming, I started with the "Start Here" button and read everything I could. Most of the topics Mark has are also available in his book, The Primal Blueprint.

It's a slow process for some and faster for others. It all comes down to figuring out what your body needs. I lost 5.5 lbs in 2 days but have been the same since. I'm still trying to get all the fat in my diet. For me, I think I'm eating too much protein. I'm new too and still trying to figure it out. On the good side though, I'm not gaining either.

I hope you have a wonderful day.

Gwynnda

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    Hi and welcome. i'm also diabetic and struck gold eating this way If you're on insulin keep a watch on you BG as you might need to tune you meds
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

Goosefeather is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the welcome Gwynnda and CarbDodger!

Its amazing the change already! I have gone from erratic blood sugars and injecting 20 units of Levimir in the morning and 20 at night, and 6-10 units of NovoRapid with EVERY meal! Now i only inject 12 units of Levimir at morning and 2 at night and between 0-2 units of Novorapid at meal times whilst maintaining blood glucose levels at between 4-7 with the occasional 8!

And the best bit, im already losing weight and feel amazing!!!!

And the second best bit - i picked up about 2 kg of rump steak at North Weald Market at the weekend for 20 quid! Bargain!

Goose.

Gwynnda is offline Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Goose, congrats. It's rewarding when you see changes in your body. I'm happy for you!
    Health
    Happiness &
    "add a food"