Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going Camping! Need food ideas! page

Yoga11 is offline Senior Member

Going Camping! Need food ideas!

Its that time of the year! Camping is approaching!
    I'm leaving in 2 weeks and have a family to feed. what do you do all do for breakfast? snacks? I'm not a huge nut person ( I'll just eat WAY to many) . I want to stay strickly primal...

Last time I went camping I was under prepared and ended eating not Primal-Friendly iteams, I was sick, but I had to because we are hiking and needed food! yikes! help please!!

I was thinking of some great foil wrap meat veggie ideas.. but I'm not sure if I leave the meat raw or pre cook? I also need idea for 4 days of camping

best camping ideas .... GO! wooohhooo

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    If it's car camping, bring a cooler and stock it with all primal foods. Wrapping veggies in foil pouches with a little olive oil and cooking over the fire makes delicious veggies. Barbecue your meat on the fire. Bring a coleman stove and frying pan if you want eggs and bacon.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

aliphian is offline Senior Member
    I don't have a lot to add but I am interested as I have a camping trip coming up as well.
    The above should be viewed as complete and utter nonsense.

Castle is offline Senior Member
    If you have access to a dehydrator, you can dehydrate meals and rehydrate them in boiling water.

Huarache Gal is offline Senior Member
    I don't know what kind of camping you mean (tent, camper, RV or cabin) but a cast iron dutch oven works great for camping. Bacon and eggs, sausage and eggs, omelettes or banana pancakes for breakfast. Save any leftover meat you might have, whether its breakfast meats or things from the grill (or raw meat that you bring along), throw it in the dutch oven with some veggies and a little broth or whatever you have handy (even water with spices) and let it simmer in the fire for a few hours. YUM!

For foil wrapped meals, I wouldn't pre-cook.

Grilled meats, veggies and fruit works great too.

Yoga11 is offline Senior Member
    I am going tent camping, but by my car! not a serious hiking camping in the middle of nothing. I'll have a fire, and a hibachi.

I don't have a gas stove to bring.. I wanted to keep it fire done. If it's the morning and I want to put like 5-6 brochettes on the hibachi you think thats enough to put my cast iron on top??

If I bring raw meat in a cooler... how many days you think it will stay good for?
    Sometimes I feel ice mixed with water keeps everything MUCH cooler (altho doesn't last as long)

any great recipes for foil wrap?
    I guess I could pre-make chili

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    Go to your grocery store and get some dry ice--it stays cold for much longer than conventional ice.
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

workinprogress is offline Senior Member
    Freeze the meat before putting in the cooler. Maybe leave one defrosted for your first day. Then just bring the rest out to defrost before you need them.

sjmc is offline Senior Member
    I request you make campfire banana boats for dessert Pinterest / Search results for campfire banana boat and tell us how it went!

Stacy15 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Camping somewhere with electric hook-up? If so, electric griddle for bacon, eggs

If not, other options...
    -bring a pot to boil water over fire and poach eggs or reheat things like chili you mentioned
    -'campfire grill baskets' - are awesome. Can cook meat right over fire! I've used for catch of the day - wrap fish in foil seasoned as you like and cook over fire (if fishing)
    -potatoes, can slice with onion and wrap in foil. Buttered even better if bringing butter (great in campfire baskets as well)
    -meat/veggie kabobs
    -Dried fruit
    -cans of tuna/oysters
    -smoked turkey or fish
    -beef jerkey
    -cooked bacon if don't want to mess with cooking on site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast