Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Braces on my teeth page

fillyone is offline Senior Member

Question Braces on my teeth

Shop Now
    I got my braces in January of this year which is when I went Primal (For the 2nd and final time!)

Just got a heavier wire on and WoWzA this time it really hurts to chew! I finally figured out what it feels like. Feels like someone is taking a hammer to my teeth!!

I use Primal Fuel but I'm getting tired of the repeated meals of Primal Fuel, Scrambled Eggs with some kind of meat added that has had a very long turn in the food processor to make it almost a dust or Mashed Sweet Potatoes with meat dust.

I refuse to just go ahead and chew through the pain, that would make this a VERY long 3 years!!

I'm wondering if A) are there any pre-made baby foods out there that are Primal and not horrible and B) anyone have ideas?

I do need to pick up some bones so I can make bone broth.

This adjustment caught me off guard!!

Thanks!!
    Barb who is right now really hungry after getting home from CrossFit
    Barb - Portland, Oregon

"Everything is as it should be given what has gone before. This is not an excuse but it is a reason"
    ~ Dr G & Barb ~

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Are you against taking Ibuprofen? It helps with the inflammation and pain while your mouth adjusts. It shouldn't last too long between adjustments (a few days, IIRC).

I'm confused about why you seem to think you need to eat soft food for 3 years. You can eat normally.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Hey Filly! As a survivor of some wickedly heavy duty orthodontia, I can most assuredly tell you that this pain is temporary. Take some ibuprofen/Tylenol and wait it out. It will go away!! Every time they move to a heavier gauge wire, expect this time of transition and be ready with pre-made/already purchased stuff. The first couple of times are the worst - after that, the ouchies go away quicker.

Ideas - soup. I just blend it for my two oldest who are themselves in the middle of it, whatever kind it is. I have even taken pork chops (sauteed in lard as usual and then diced) and mashed potatoes, added bone broth, and whizzed it up for them. Sounds weird, but I am used to puréed diets as my mom works in the kitchen of a nursing home, and they gotta do what they gotta do for those folks, you know. The kid got full, btw.

If you do dairy - yogurt, cottage cheese, kefir, cheese omelet, mozzarella

Try fish filet, something white-fleshed. Should be smashable with your tongue. If not, stick it in your blender with coconut milk and a good chicken broth paste, and perhaps Thai chile paste if heat is your thing.

Liver pâté!!

But yeah, your blender is your friend for the nonce. Just put more interesting stuff in there! ANYTHING can be made into a cream-style soup.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Are you against taking Ibuprofen? It helps with the inflammation and pain while your mouth adjusts. It shouldn't last too long between adjustments (a few days, IIRC).

I'm confused about why you seem to think you need to eat soft food for 3 years. You can eat normally.
    Oh no, Advil is my very good friend right now!! I just mean the soft food for these periods after adjustments, not the whole 3 years!! I think they'd have to put me in a padded room!!

This adjustment has been much worse than the ones in the past - I assume because we jumped up the wire size and in addition I had to have the wire removed and redone just a few days after the initial adjustment because it was tearing up my cheeks! That was fun - NOT!!
    Barb - Portland, Oregon

"Everything is as it should be given what has gone before. This is not an excuse but it is a reason"
    ~ Dr G & Barb ~

My cheeks are definitely scarred from my 3 years with braces. I never had time to go back and get the wire trimmed after an adjustment so it always hurt. That stupid wax they gave us never stayed on/helped.

Crabcakes suggestion of pureed soup is great. Everything will be very soft after cooking, so it should blend pretty easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    Hey Filly! As a survivor of some wickedly heavy duty orthodontia, I can most assuredly tell you that this pain is temporary. Take some ibuprofen/Tylenol and wait it out. It will go away!! Every time they move to a heavier gauge wire, expect this time of transition and be ready with pre-made/already purchased stuff. The first couple of times are the worst - after that, the ouchies go away quicker.

Ideas - soup. I just blend it for my two oldest who are themselves in the middle of it, whatever kind it is. I have even taken pork chops (sauteed in lard as usual and then diced) and mashed potatoes, added bone broth, and whizzed it up for them. Sounds weird, but I am used to puréed diets as my mom works in the kitchen of a nursing home, and they gotta do what they gotta do for those folks, you know. The kid got full, btw.

If you do dairy - yogurt, cottage cheese, kefir, cheese omelet, mozzarella

Try fish filet, something white-fleshed. Should be smashable with your tongue. If not, stick it in your blender with coconut milk and a good chicken broth paste, and perhaps Thai chile paste if heat is your thing.

Liver pâté!!

But yeah, your blender is your friend for the nonce. Just put more interesting stuff in there! ANYTHING can be made into a cream-style soup.
    Oh thanks for the suggestions - Hadn't even gone down the fish road and blending with some Coconut Milk and bone broth? Man that sounds delicious!!

This has been the worst adjustment yet - and I think for a time they're going to be likewise a lot of moving needs to happen ROFL
    Barb - Portland, Oregon

~ Dr G & Barb ~

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    My cheeks are definitely scarred from my 3 years with braces. I never had time to go back and get the wire trimmed after an adjustment so it always hurt. That stupid wax they gave us never stayed on/helped.

Crabcakes suggestion of pureed soup is great. Everything will be very soft after cooking, so it should blend pretty easily.
    I'm really lucky that I can work from home and the Orthodontist is within 5 minutes drive!! The wax can be such a pain in the neck - I don't have any trouble keeping it on the front teeth but the very back molars where I needed it this time...yeah wasn't happening!!
    Barb - Portland, Oregon

~ Dr G & Barb ~

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fillyone View Post
    I'm really lucky that I can work from home and the Orthodontist is within 5 minutes drive!! The wax can be such a pain in the neck - I don't have any trouble keeping it on the front teeth but the very back molars where I needed it this time...yeah wasn't happening!!
    You go right back and ask them for one of these - they should have a drawer full of them. They just press onto your braces.

image.jpg
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    I think its definitely easier when you're a kid and still developing. My daughter has had various contraptions and now upper and lower 'train tracks' for over a year and I'm amazed at how well she's handled the adjustments. The first week with the very first appliance was brutal and she ate alot of mashed potatoes, salmon, apple sauce and smoothies. After a week she was still uncomfortable but sucked it up because we were going ahead and eating bacon and steak without her! She hasn't taken a single advil or tylenol. And she is a wimp. Every new adjustment takes a couple of days to get used to, but she bravely eats through the pain.

I also think the treatment varies by orthodontist, and ours is young, high-tech and recently trained. The old guys in town are still using outdated techniques and medieval torture appliances.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

^Good points. I started my process around the age of 12 (palate expander) and got my braces off at 16. Also, my orthodonist was a bit "old" =P

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast