Thread: Smokey BBQ Bacon Wrapped Pheasant page

PRO199 is offline Senior Member

Smokey BBQ Bacon Wrapped Pheasant

Smokey BBQ Bacon Wrapped Pheasant

Pheasant_1.jpg
    Take your pheasant, and thank it for blessing your family with its delicious nutritional sacrifice.
    Butcher the pheasant into sections the same as you would a chicken (leg, thigh, breast, back).

Pheasant_2.jpg
    Take a package of bacon, and thank the pig for his commitment to get cozy with the pheasant.
    Wrap each pheasant section in a slice of bacon.
    Oh, In case you are wondering how I got so many sections from my pheasant; I invited two birds for dinner.
    Note, if desired you can season, rub, insert garlic slivers, etc. the pheasant prior to wrapping.

Pheasant_3.jpg
    Get a skillet up to medium-high heat and near-sear each section for 1-2 minutes on each side. I say near-sear as you do not want to scorch the bacon (unless you like it as such).

Pheasant_4.jpg
    Preheat oven to 400F.
    Butter the bottom & sides of a backing dish generously.
    Arrange your seared bacon wrapped pheasant into the backing dish.
    If desired, you can dust the feast with your favorite primal-wise seasoning (careful not to go salty though, that bacon has your need for salt covered). I dusted with some granulated garlic and BBQ seasoning.
    Optional: Top with your favorite veggie, I used diced onion here as I am addicted to onion flavor.
    Place dish in center of oven and set oven for 10 minutes.
    After 10 minutes, remove dish, and fight temptation to nibble at the bacon.
    Turn each section, perhaps add seasoning to this side too; its your meal so you decide.
    Add a few dashes of liquid smoke over the lovely morsels.
    Return dish to oven and set oven for 10 minutes.

Pheasant_5.jpg
    After 10 minutes, it is done; Time to FEAST!!

ENJOY!
    Follow my progress at ->Journal: My Body Revival

AutumnTiger is online now Senior Member
    Nom nom nom. Interestingly we had pheasant on NYD, which is a new one on us. Bit pricey for an everyday roast but I live in hopes of reductions at our local posh supermarket

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Current: 16-Nov-14 14.8 (204lbs) | GW = 138lbs

Whole 30: Sat 7th June 2014 to Sun 6th July lost 14lbs; low of 14.12

Paleo Start: 16-Nov-13 at 234lbs | 22-Feb-14 = 219lbs dropped into cruise maintenance mode
    Previously: 2-Jan-13 to 17-Jul-13 lost 37lbs with WW

Knock me down, I'll get right back up again, come back stronger than a powered-up Pacman - Kaiser Chiefs

Being a hunter I don't pay directly for pheasant, or deer, etc... But indirectly I do in costs of licenses, gear, etc.. So in the end my guess is I pay more than one can for game at market or via internet. Which is ok as I hunt for the sport of it as much as I do for food.

ToddAndMargo is offline Senior Member
    Milkey Way, Sol, Earth, United States, Nevada
    Hi Pro199,

Oh man that looks good!

Whenever I cook with garlic, it all boils off and I can't taste any garlic. Does stuffing it under the bacon retain the garlic flavor?

Congrats on the photography! Beautifully done. Did you do it yourself or get professional help?

-T

We have a goose problem out in these parts (Northern Nevada). They poop all over our parks and turn them into unsanitary messes no one wants to use. Apparently these geese think they own the joint and don't realize they are food. I don't suppose we could borrow you for a hunting season or two? Probably wouldn't let you hunt them inside the city limits. You wouldn't even have to discharge a weapon -- just chase them with one of Grok's clubs. Rats!

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AutumnTiger View Post
    Nom nom nom. Interestingly we had pheasant on NYD, which is a new one on us. Bit pricey for an everyday roast but I live in hopes of reductions at our local posh supermarket

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
    I'm in Sussex and my local butcher sells pheasant, 4 pheasant for 10. I think that is a bargain! Also packs of pheasant breast wrapped in bacon and vac packed ready for the freezer. I'm planning to buy loads so I can have pheasant right through until the season starts again next autumn!

I reckon a butcher is the way to go, not a supermarket...

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PRO199 View Post
    Being a hunter I don't pay directly for pheasant, or deer, etc... But indirectly I do in costs of licenses, gear, etc.. So in the end my guess is I pay more than one can for game at market or via internet. Which is ok as I hunt for the sport of it as much as I do for food.
    I have found the same to be true about the cost of raising our own turkeys, but they are the best turkey I've ever had! People ask to buy one from me every year. I tell them that they don't want to pay me what it cost me. I pay more for poults ( chicks) than a frozen bird costs at Thanksgiving.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Mud Flinger, I am jealous you raise your own birds, I bet they are quite tasty! I'll be turkey hunting in April, looking forward to getting me a wild bird to feast on