Thread: Dry Lips page

Graycat is offline Senior Member

Dry Lips

Shop Now
    Does anyone know or have a good guess as to what could possibly be causing dry lips?

Mine have been dry, not chapped I just feel them somehow uncomfortably tight and dry and the need to apply lip balm a lot.
    Is that a sign of some hormonal imbalance or perhaps lack of certain nutrient?

TY

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    are you drinking enough water?
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    My causes of dry lips: dehydration, incipient flu, fever, and lipstick/lip balms that don't agree with my skin. Other than that, I get what I personally call "fire lips", from being in the wind and sun without a lip balm - they are dry and tight and burn around the edges.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Mouth breathing. Alot of people do it unconsciously.

Do you work under an AC vent?
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Life long sufferer of dry lips here! It can be caused by the environment (dry, cold etc.) but if it''s chronic then I believe it's symptomatic of digestive problems, as the skin on your lips is the same as the skin on the inside of your gut.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

aliphian is offline Senior Member
    My lips have been less dry since I started putting coconut oil in my coffee. The lip benefit is most likely topical and not dietary.
    The above should be viewed as complete and utter nonsense.

Pax
    Pax is offline Junior Member
    I was a habitual lip balm applier for years and years until I made a conscious effort to drink more water, then a funny thing happened, my dry lips disappeared! If it's not simple dehydration then it's possible that it's dietary. Maybe more fats are in order? I know higher fats can help with dry skin and dry scalp, so maybe dry lips too?

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for your replies. Come to think of it, I'm probably not hydrated enough considering the heat and my high-ish activity level. I'll have to make sure I rule out the hydration the environment factors first.