Thread: Fruit and Nuts questions page

JonnyH is offline Senior Member

Fruit and Nuts questions

Primal Fuel
    I have a couple of questions regarding fruit and nuts.

Firstly fruit, found conflicting info, some sites say that fruit should be eaten away from other foods, otherwise it would only get digested after fat/protein, which would be too long, and the fruit would ferment in the body before it is digested.
    Other info say that as fruit is metabolized too quickly, it needs to be eaten with maybe fats to slow this absorption down.

Any views on this either way?

Secondly Nuts, I eat around 25g of macadamias, couple of brazil nuts and a few pumpkin seeds a day. I donít soak these first, but from recent reading, I should be soaking and drying them prior to eating.

As I havenít got a dehydrator, or an oven with a low enough setting, can nuts be eaten straight after soaking with just paper towel drying, as long as they are eaten within a day or so?

And does anyone know whether the phyates in nuts that block absorption block all minerals etc. from the whole meal, i.e if you had nuts as a desert, does the whole meal suffer?

Thanks in advance.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    The phrase is "paralysis by analysis". The answers depend on your state of health. A healthy gut and stomach acid don't worry about food seperation or combination. Specific issues may have to.

I get my nuts and seeds roasted then I eat a metric ton of them everyday. I will have to look up to see if roasting deactivates the antiutrients sufficiently, but I would guess the nutrient density they have leads to a sufficient net positive.

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    Fruit: The glucose content is not enough for high BG so no real need for a fat buffer when eaten in normal amounts. I don't expect any satiety from fruit though.

Nuts: After soaking they are very mushy and unappetizing--dehydration takes ~24 hours before they regain any texture. If you don't care about preserving the raw enzymes you can do a moderate toast instead (~250F for 1 hour).
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

tarek is offline Senior Member
    If you have digestive issues, you'll have to experiment to find out if you should be eating fruit alone or with fat. It isn't necessary to eat fruit with fat by any means, however. If your digestion is in check, eat fruit however and whenever you'd like.

You can definitely eat seeds and nuts immediately after soaking them, but like Pete suggested, the texture may be unappealing to you. Personally, I don't mind it. If you mix them into a paleo granola or smoothie, it'll be unnoticeable. You don't need a dehydrator -- you can use an oven at a very low temperature over the course of a day or so, occasionally opening it to let out heat.

JonnyH is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by picklepete View Post
    Fruit: The glucose content is not enough for high BG so no real need for a fat buffer when eaten in normal amounts. I don't expect any satiety from fruit though.

Nuts: After soaking they are very mushy and unappetizing--dehydration takes ~24 hours before they regain any texture. If you don't care about preserving the raw enzymes you can do a moderate toast instead (~250F for 1 hour).
    Hi, yes I guess your right about not enough glucose, I'm only talking about a small apple, pear, few berries etc. here and there. So maybe I'll have them as a snack away from meals, I seem to enjoy fruit more that way.

So I soaked so macadamia nuts overnight in some slightly salty water. I patted them dry with a paper towel and ate them, they were really nice actually. A little softer then unsoaked, but tasty.
    Cheers