Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Portions page

Screamer is offline Member

Portions

Primal Fuel
    So here it is, even though i've been almost completely paleo/primal since last November apart from the odd treat here and there, I haven't lost any weight which I think is partly to do with not being able to exercise due to injury for some of it but also because my portions are too big. I do cycle to work and back everyday but it's only a flat 20-25 min cycle.

I'm struggling to eat out of sync as in, i'm having to eat three meals a day really because of work during the week, weekends is slightly different. Here's an example of my intake yesterday, and i'd appreciate some feedback as I think i'm eating way too much. Also, is anyone else having problems not frying stuff? We seem to pan fry so much more these days, with coconut oil obviously but still.

Breakfast: 2 x boiled eggs, slice of pork belly, big avocado

Lunch: roasted butternut squash, cabbage and bolognese (not huge portions)

Dinner: Piece of fish and stir fried vegetables

Snacks - 85% dark chocolate (half a bar) and a slice of paleo banana bread.

go on... shoot me down...

F.Fellini is offline Member
    Exercise doesn't have much to do with weightloss, or at least it doesn't have to. It can, but it's certainly not necessary.

It's difficult to know if your portions are too big based on your descriptions ("piece of fish" and "stir fried vegetables" could be anything), but what is likely causing your problems are the snacks (probably 450+ calories right there, depending on the "slice of paleo banana bread") and the frying. If you're not getting the results you want, I would first try changing the snacks and baking/steaming/boiling/crock pot instead of frying or roasting with oil. You could try more protein and/or more carbs and less fat, as well.

I just never seem to get the balance right. I mean don't get me wrong, we eat really really well and stick to the paleo diet, but whenever I see pictures of other people's paleo food i'm like "wow i'm eating too big portions" because they seem to eat nothing, like tiny handfuls.

my vegetables were probably a cup of veggies and a hand sized piece of haddock just cooked in the oven with a bit of coconut oil. The paleo bread was more like a little square really but still. We usually do a lot of slow cooker or on the stove in a pot stews etc but as summer is comign we're trying to change it up a bit.

What else could we roast the veggies in to stop them being so fatty?

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Your foods are quality primal foods and you have the slow movement covered.

So you probably either need to add in sprints or weights and/or reduce your portion sizes if you want to lose weight.

Alot of things you haven't mentioned will have a bearing on this. Are you male or female? What is your height and current weight? Amount you want to lose?

You could try trimming a few calories from each meal. eg breakfast two eggs but replace the pork and avocado with green vegetable; lunch bolognaise on steamed cabbage (drop the pumpkin); dinner of fish and stirfry veges; snack just two pieces of chocolate and ditch the bread.
    Last edited by Annieh; 06-04-2013 at 01:32 AM.

Cool that's some really good tips thanks so much. I'm female and haven't weighed myself for a while but I imagine i'm about 10stone 4 again. Ideally, i want to get into the 9 stone mark again, or atleast 9 stone something. I have a massive appetite! Especially around time of the month time, also because I have PCOS, so i'm struggling with the portions because I seem to always feel hungry!

Will definitely try what you suggested. Thanks guys!

As far as veggies go, are any of these quite bad for keeping the weight on?

Kale
    Cabbage
    Butternut Squash
    Courgette (zuccini)
    Celery
    Carrots
    Peppers
    Cucumber
    Cauliflower
    Broccoli
    Peas
    Green beans

Thanks,
    Jodie

peril is offline Senior Member
    You haven't told us about you. The one insight I have from my obsession with health over the last four years is that you can't get healthy by losing weight - you have to get healthy to lose weight. This takes time. How long depends an several factors - how badly have you broken your metabolism and what are you doing to repair it being the main ones.

Your focus needs to be on understanding what ails you and adjusting your diet to fix it. At the same time, keep up the moving slowly and address any issues with sunshine, sleep, play and stress.
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Are you just guessing your portion sizes? Get a food scale. Start tracking on a website or an app.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Ok, you do have some weight to lose, but it's not humungous amounts so I would agree the health issues are more important to focus on first. It would be good to focus on making sure that what you eat is of high nutritional value and as varied as possible.

So far you seem to be doing pretty well but maybe it's time to go more intense, look into things like bone broth for example and broadening the range of foods you eat so that you are more likely to cover all your bases. It will also keep you from becoming bored.

You seem to have a reasonable variety of vegetables, some others I can think of offhand would be leeks, silverbeet, mushrooms, onions and garlic, beetroot, swede and parsnips. If you're not sure you like them they can be disguised in soups and casseroles, but you can also learn to love them for themselves, especially with butter. The beans and peas are not strictly primal, being legumes, I do include them sometimes but not at expense of the others.

Berries are very good for you, try some with a dollop of greek yoghurt and a sprinkling of toasted sunflower seeds - yum.

Fruit is definitely primal so maybe a small serving of a different choice each day of the week - eg. pineapple, plum, kiwifruit, orange, nectarine, apple, grapes. Think of it as eating a rainbow of colours. Maybe you are missing some important factor which is keeping you hungry, by branching out you might be able to satisfy that need.

Although having said that, I don't think your appetite is all that massive, especially considering you cycle every day. I'm always hungrier on days I exercise. Have you ever tried lifting weights? I do a class once a week or so and have found it very beneficial in building strength and shaping my body and I can eat heaps without gaining fat.

Another aspect is organ meats eg liver, but I am not there myself yet so can't offer much advice about it.

For those extra cravings at your hungry time of the month, it is very hard to fight them but I would suggest you do try to make sure that what you have is primal then you know it will be doing you good rather than harm. Bananas, cheese, nuts and dried fruit are very high in calories but still miles better for you than packaged chips and biscuits or whatever. Or make up some primal truffle balls and keep them in the freezer.

Best wishes.

Goldensparrow is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Screamer View Post
    As far as veggies go, are any of these quite bad for keeping the weight on?

Kale
    Cabbage
    Butternut Squash
    Courgette (zuccini)
    Celery
    Carrots
    Peppers
    Cucumber
    Cauliflower
    Broccoli
    Peas
    Green beans

Thanks,
    Jodie
    Butternut squash is starchy...like a sweet potato. You can have a little fruit perhaps instead of the banana bread, which is another high sugar starch fruit. Stick with low glycemic like berries and probably not more than a 1/2 cup.

Take a look at her list....

Sugar Free Sheila.com: Finally, my own Atkins Induction Foods List!

She does Atkins, but her veggies and meat are spot on for what you should be doing to lose weight. Just ignore the dairy advice, which makes people retain weight a lot of times and ignore all those unhealthy oils and such obviously.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast