Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Portions page 2

Goldensparrow is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Oh yeah and that avocado needs to be a smaller portion too...lot of carbs in it plus too much fat on top of all that other. You have to have room to burn your own fat. If I gorge on fat, I don't burn my own fat. I maintain my weight.

Castle is offline Senior Member
    If you feel like you're having issues with portions, weighing and/or some form of tracking might not be a bad idea.

As for food, you could possibly cut down on the squash a bit until you're more active, but I'm not convinced it's an issue. Are there carbs in things like squash? Yes, but carbs aren't evil, despite Mark's carb curve that makes it appear that less is always more. Some people do well on high fat, very low carb. Some people do well on the opposite. This is one of those things where you need to experiment and see what works for you.

The banana bread could be an issue, especially if it's baked with almond flower. Not going into the effects of heating nuts, almond flour baked goods are calorie overloads. I would much rather eat a loaf of banana bread made with white flour than I would almond flour. Personally, I would ditch the banana bread and chocolate and see how that goes.

Screamer is offline Member
    Thanks guys, all good tips. I just find ita ll so overwhelming.

We are really good with the variety we eat, those veggies certainly aren't what we only eat but do make upa bit of it. We eat all types of meat, but sometimes i worry i'm eating too much, then we bulk up on the veggies which isn't always good.

We do eat berries, and bananas and grapes occasionally, but I thought eating too much fruit was bad for you too? I think the calorie counter might help to keep things down a bit and ditching some of the fattier things like avocado etc

We tend to buy bananas etc to make smoothies with coconut milk and eat nuts in moderation, we're doing all the right things but maybe it's just my portions and eating too much of the fats? hmmmmm will take it all on board though.

I'm 5ft 2.5, female, 31 years old, about 10stone 4, but quite muscly which has always made up for some of that weight, healthy apart from a healing sprained ankle and love being active outdoors so now the weather has started picking up over here i hope to get out in it a bit more.

I was doing the Jillian Michaels videos but then hurt my leg, about to get back into them as i found them fantastic. mixture of core, weights and fitness which was wicked. Can't recommend them enough!

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I agree that carbs from squash and sweet potatoes are not the devil. But for someone with PCOS, it might be worthwhile to do Primal Atkins style because the low carb may just help restore some insulin sensitivity. Note that you do not live on sub-20g carbohydrates forever. You just do that for just a while to get adapted, then eat more within the Primal "effortless weight loss" carb zone to lose the weight.

That is how I did it. I'm not the picture of waiflike beauty, though, so take my advice with a grain of salt. I went low carb (~75g) for about a year (super low carb for a few months at first) and was able to restore my insulin sensitivity and appetite to normal. I now eat as many sweet potatoes, carrots, and other supposedly "high carb" veggies as I like, plus about 12-16oz of lean meat every day to support my efforts in weight lifting. Other than for cooking, I do not add fats to my food often, but I do sometimes. I'm now working on staying away from daily treats, being more mindful of eating when I'm hungry and eating appropriate portion sizes. Precision Nutrition has a nice chart for calculating portion sizes. It has been helpful for me for estimating my protein requirements to support strength training.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 210 x 3

Castle is offline Senior Member
    If you're having a few servings of fruit per day, it's not anything to be worried about. There's such a thing as being too concerned about eating real food.

If you're trying to lose fat, ditch the smoothie. You don't gain anything by the food being in liquid form, and that's a lot of fat/carb/cal in one package that may not make you feel full. Also, you say nuts in moderation - be careful with them. They're one of the most nutrient dense foods out there, and are real easy to overeat. That goes double for nut butters.

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    I would start by cutting out the snacks. They are healthy, but eating 2 snacks a day in addition to 3 meals a day is overeating, at least in my book.
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Screamer View Post
    What else could we roast the veggies in to stop them being so fatty?
    Why on earth would you want to do that??? Keep the fat in your meals and ditch the evening snacks and paleo-fied desserts. If you're hungry in the evening, you didn't eat a big enough dinner.

Without seeing actual portions its hard to say if you're eating too much. A cup of veggies and a palm sized piece of fish seems like NOT ENOUGH FOOD.

If you think you're eating too much then pay close attention to your body when you eat. Stop eating when you're no longer hungry. Serve yourself smaller portions. Were you even hungry to begin with when you started eating? Eat for hunger, not by the clock. Skip a meal now and then and experience what true hunger feels like.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Even though it's hard to tell if you are eating "too much" per se, IMO lots of carbs combined with lots of fat is not likely to lead to weight loss, however 'whole' and natural your diet is. At least that's the impression I'm getting from your sample menu. Just my 2.

ETA: Sorry, I had only skimmed the other replies. Seems like someone else already suggested that.
    Last edited by Graycat; 06-04-2013 at 11:03 AM.

Goldensparrow is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandra in BC View Post
    Why on earth would you want to do that??? Keep the fat in your meals and ditch the evening snacks and paleo-fied desserts. If you're hungry in the evening, you didn't eat a big enough dinner.

Without seeing actual portions its hard to say if you're eating too much. A cup of veggies and a palm sized piece of fish seems like NOT ENOUGH FOOD.

If you think you're eating too much then pay close attention to your body when you eat. Stop eating when you're no longer hungry. Serve yourself smaller portions. Were you even hungry to begin with when you started eating? Eat for hunger, not by the clock. Skip a meal now and then and experience what true hunger feels like.
    She's 5'2....probably not enough food if you're a gentleman, but definitely enough food for a lady. I had a meal today that I thought was going to be way too small, but part of feeling full is the satisfaction you receive from enjoying the meal. I thoroughly enjoyed my meal and found that I was pleasantly satisfied satiety-wise. The portions were about what was recommended on Precision Nutrition, and I'm happy to say I will be using them from now on to further my weight-loss goals.

F.Fellini is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Screamer View Post
    Thanks guys, all good tips. I just find ita ll so overwhelming.

We are really good with the variety we eat, those veggies certainly aren't what we only eat but do make upa bit of it. We eat all types of meat, but sometimes i worry i'm eating too much, then we bulk up on the veggies which isn't always good.

We do eat berries, and bananas and grapes occasionally, but I thought eating too much fruit was bad for you too? I think the calorie counter might help to keep things down a bit and ditching some of the fattier things like avocado etc
    It sounds like you're doing great; no need to sweat it at all, and if you are finding it overwhelming----which can be easy to do----just relax and remember that you are already eating a nutritious diet and now just working out the kinks. We are all works in progress.

Generally there's no need to worry about eating too much fruit in terms of some arbitrary guidelines. Fruit only becomes an issue if you are eating lots of fat or if you are eating ONLY fruit and no meat/eggs/fish/tubers/vegetables. If you want to eat more fruit, cut some of the fats and you should be just fine. You can even adjust on a day-by-day basis; no need to eat the same macro ratios everyday.

When you say "we bulk up on the veggies, which isn't always good," I'm not sure what you mean. Unless you feel bad doing it (e.g., bloating or heartburn or something), there's no reason eating large amounts of vegetables is bad. In fact, it's great to eat vegetables and meat to satiety.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast