Thread: Why do some people have it easier while consuming lots of carbs? page

goosebump is offline Junior Member

Question Why do some people have it easier while consuming lots of carbs?

Primal Fuel
    Hi guys, I've been a regular lurker on this forum and this is my first post.

So carbs raise insulin, and high level of insulin causes your body to store energy as fat. This causes one to feel sleepy after a high-carb meal and if they do it regularly, they will likely gain weights, as well as other diseases associated with it.

So why can some people eat a lot of carbs and not get lethargic, tired, or fat? Why don't they suffer from the effects of high carbs? Is it because they have higher insulin sensitivity (which basically means their body requires less insulin for the cells to absorb glucose) ? What factors determine how well a person effectively expend the energy they consume?

Thanks
    Last edited by goosebump; 06-03-2013 at 09:23 PM.

The Rebooted Body is offline Senior Member
    Why are some people 6 feet tall and others 5'5? Why can some people eat cake and ice cream all day and not gain weight?

Genetics, baby.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    The way I believe it works is that the bad seed oils combined with the flours and industrially-produced foods combined with a sedentary lifestyle destroy your insulin sensitivity. You can restore it with a combination of low carbohydrate, nutrient dense real foods and Primal-style exercise (lift heavy things, sprint once in a while, move slowly often and play). Once it is restored, you can eat all the carbohydrate-rich vegetables and fruits you want because the lifting heavy and the sprinting will pretty much demand it and you'll have gained the ability to use it. This might not be true for people who are diabetic and not able to reverse it with diet or for people with other reasons for consuming low carb indefinitely.

If you were never broken to begin with, then really the whole low carb step is probably not necessary unless you just like that food better or just feel happier eating that way.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

otzi Guest
    The Calorie Paradox: Did Four Rice Chex Make America Fat? (Part II of “There Is No Such Thing As A Calorie”) - GNOLLS.ORG

This is a pretty good article written by a guy who has a pretty good grasp of the paleo diet.

In this article, he describes a study done (on mice) that were fed carbs in different forms. The ones that ate powdered carbs (flour) gained more weight tham the ones eating whole carbs.

When you think about it, that's exactly what the Primal Blueprint tells us to do--not eat refined carbs. Eating 100-200g of carbs found in potatoes, rice, fruit, veggies, even beans and oatmeal, is nowhere near the same thing as eating 100-200g of refined white flour or sugar.

Yes, though, some people seem immune to the effects of carbs in any form. You see the uber-athlete that eats candy bars all day or the tall-skinny guy who eats 3 loaves of bread a week, but for the people that get fat easily, refined carbs seem to be the worst.

KimchiNinja is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by goosebump View Post
    So why can some people eat a lot of carbs and not get lethargic, tired, or fat? Why don't they suffer from the effects of high carbs?
    You mean "why haven't they suffered from the effects yet". Time is a moving thing. Because at one point in time they have not suffered the effects does not mean they are immune.

awok677 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KimchiNinja View Post
    You mean "why haven't they suffered from the effects yet". Time is a moving thing. Because at one point in time they have not suffered the effects does not mean they are immune.

This. Just because they haven't put on weight (yet) doesn't mean they're healthy or will remain so. My father never carried any real excess weight and always seemed fit, but suffered arthritis requiring a hip replacement and now Alzheimer's. I've just had a stinking cold for 4 days and he hasn't caught it, so his overall health and immune system is currently doing well at 93, but his brain is shot. Meanwhile I have friends who are seriously skinny but I wouldn't take their health problems - IBS, thyroid, liver etc.
    Me, My Father and The Alzheimer's - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread84213.html

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yeah, "yet".

I hiked the Pacific Crest Trail at age 43-44. I could hike 20 or 30 miles every day and eat all the crappy carbs and junk food I wanted. I thought I was invincible. But it was the final straw that broke me. When I returned to regular life I had poor insulin sensitivity and could not keep the weight I lost off no matter how hard I battled my insatiable hunger. Salad did not fix me but eggs and fatty meat did. I can eat primal carbs now without ill effects.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2