Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Worried About Cravings! page

Kj94 is offline Junior Member

Worried About Cravings!

Primal Fuel
    Okay so first and foremost, I have not started going primal yet... more of just toying with the idea. The reason why is because I seem to have an addiction to sweets and I am afraid going primal will end up making me binge on all of the things I'm not supposed to have. I honestly feel like I won't be able to enjoy food anymore and that scares me a little. If anyone has any advice on how I should go about starting this life style that would be great . Oh, I think I forgot to mention that I'm also a semi-broke college student that's not that great of a cook hah.. but anyways, I would really appreciate anyone's suggestions. Thanks

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Primal is not about deprivation, rather the opposite. I have never enjoyed my food so much and it makes me feel fantastic.

If you believe that eating real food is what humans are supposed to do, then stop just toying with the idea and dive in. Buy some meat, eggs and veges, and learn to cook them.

Allenete is offline Senior Member
    Your cravings are caused my sugar in the first place. The trick is to break that cycle.
    You may get "carb flu" and find it tough to start with... and no one should tell you it will just happen or be easy. You need to expect that, if you really are addicted, that it may be tough. Ditch the sugar and load up on proteins and fats. You cannot give up sugar and the cravings without the fats and proteins to keep you full, satiated, and to get your insulin/sugar leveled out.

PrimalStudent is offline Senior Member
    Hey there... let me start off by staying, I understand where you're coming from 100%. I'm not only a college student working with limited cooking facilities/money, but I have a major sweet tooth (even after about a year of being primal). I maintain a mostly-primal diet without giving into crappy food by not depriving myself of the tastes that appeal to me... I do that by getting experimental in the kitchen, coming up with things that hit the sweet button without breaking any primal "laws". If you want, I can share some really simple recipes for things like maple pumpkin custard, chocolate mousse, chocolate bars, etc that are all essentially sugar-free, fully primal, high in protein, and take 5-10 mins to prepare. I eat one of these things every day (usually in place of a meal) and it keeps the cravings at bay while still filling me up with nutrition.

Allenete is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalStudent View Post
    If you want, I can share some really simple recipes for things like maple pumpkin custard, chocolate mousse, chocolate bars, etc .
    Oo oo! Me! I would love those recipes too, especially the maple pumkin custard!

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Before Primal, I drank 5 or 6 sodas a day, had gummi bears at hand 24/7 and ate pasta for lunch and dinner, and cereal for breakfast. Also, I would randomly buy and eat and entire box of ho-hos or other snack cakes. Now I eat almost nothing but meat, eggs, fruit and less of nuts, chocolate, greens from my yard, bone broth or gelatin, kombucha, etc. I feel spoiled now, and the old addiction actually tastes and feels terrible. I am offered soda from time to time, take a sip, and it's a flashback to obesity and misery. I don't even want it anymore. It helps to know that at any moment, I'm allowed to eat a pound of bacon and as many eggs as I can handle, and while that still isn't perfect, it's better junk food than junk food. I lost 50 pounds eating amazing food, and crap tons of it. I always eat past satiety. Always. And nanabooboo to the food rule makers! :P

You don't have to quit cold turkey. Just start replacing your junk foods (grains?) with better food such as limitless nuts and fruit. That's what I used, almonds specifically. First I gained a couple of pounds, then it rolled off me like a landslide when the snack monster died. Took me around a month to stop snacking (happened naturally, no will power required), and around six weeks before I could skip meals and feel fine. Do this change over time if you think that could help you avoid binges. Or just binge and call it eating a lot instead.

Anyway, welcome, and I hope you can sort the voices of reason from the howler monkeys around here!

P.S. Secret weapon = liver. Chicken or beef, either way. About a pound a week, a little less if you can't eat much. Your body won't crave things when your body is already topped off on B vitamins, metals and vitamin A. Chicken liver is milder, you can hide it in ground meat and stew just fine.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

The Rebooted Body is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kj94 View Post
    Okay so first and foremost, I have not started going primal yet... more of just toying with the idea. The reason why is because I seem to have an addiction to sweets and I am afraid going primal will end up making me binge on all of the things I'm not supposed to have. I honestly feel like I won't be able to enjoy food anymore and that scares me a little. If anyone has any advice on how I should go about starting this life style that would be great . Oh, I think I forgot to mention that I'm also a semi-broke college student that's not that great of a cook hah.. but anyways, I would really appreciate anyone's suggestions. Thanks
    In my coaching, I've found the best way to deal with this type of thing is to go cold turkey and commit 100%.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I found that going without treats is the recipe for unhappiness. I could not break a habit of a prolonged session of 'tea with something' after supper. I could not drop fruit. So, I found things that are primal and feel like treats, nut butter with cocoa nibs; fruit, creamed coconut - plenty of things that taste good I also make my own sweet potato and other veggies dehydrated chips for crunchy things and the blow commercial chips out of the water. Fresh tasting food is seriously yummier than all that stale, artificially flavored crap. All my old favorites taste worse than fresh fruit, even stuff from my childhood my folks send me from the overseas sometimes. In a few years of this diet, it now looks as related to food as cardboard. No, it did not happen overnight... but over years.

The longest non-defeated craving is fruit. I think I am too old and too set in my ways to stop wanting fruit.
    Honey - almost went away, surfaces up when I have sore throat (milk or tea with honey)
    Sometimes I still feel like cheese and buy only super-expensive raw one (all other tastes like erasers)
    Caramel flavor/jello: for a while I was fooling myself I can uck some sugar-free Wothers and eat sugar-free jello. Then i got such a bad reaction to artificial sweeteners after I overdid it.... still have tons in the pantry, don't touch it (remind me need to bring to the office for the folks).
    Pastry with fruit - I love lots of sour fruit in my crunchy pastry, like turnovers have not had then in forever, but recently have a plan for rhubarb-banana-strawberry cobbler with Primal topping
    Yogurt - the artificial Source yogurt went very fast, because frankly it tastes like vomit. But the plain Greek one - suddenly went away when I was told dairy is what they feed mice in the lab to cause cataracts. Don't feel like yogurt no more. And learned to make my own kimchi for fermented stuff!
    Buckwheat and millet with fruit or milk - very long-standing craving, an equivalent of cold cereal craving for those who were raised here, on dry crunches and granola's. Just slowly disappeared. I used to eat it for breakfast once every week or two. Mug cakes finished it off (banana, berries and egg whites, microwaved)
    Breads, muffins - I dropped those super-easily. Sweet potato or banana pancakes are MILES better.
    Ice-cream, chocolate - never liked it that much, so don't miss it, make ice-cream for my folks all the time, prefer smoothies myself. Eat some cocoa nibs for health benefits, believe it or not, or a larabar coconut-chocolate one, tastes nice.
    Last edited by Leida; 06-04-2013 at 08:29 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I had a major sweet tooth. I would eat pastries every day, almond croissants, candy, cookies, chocolate, bread, ice cream. Couldn't get enough. Now that stuff tastes too sweet to me most of the time, especially if it's commercially-made crap. If a nice lady at work bakes a cheesecake or I have some ice cream, I can eat just a small amount and I'm fine, no desire to pig out on it. I can turn it down, too, and not feel deprived. Meanwhile, stuff like liver and onions or mangos or home-grown tomatoes give me mouthgasms. This way of eating tends to be self-reinforcing.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    What everyone else said, plus:

Talking yourself out of doing something because you "might fail" is no way to live life.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast