Thread: Primal Kitteh page

jibber is offline Junior Member

Primal Kitteh

Shop Now
    I know there's an older post on MDA about primal pets, but has anyone had any success specifically with their cat? My guy used to be diabetic and he's now off of insulin since feeding him grain-free wet food, but he's still on the heavy side and I want him to be the full on handsome feline that he is!!!

There are "Katkins diets" done by vets that you can find the recipes for, we put our 30LB cat on it, and mind you it is basically ground and cut up chicken with some fish oils and vitamins and we made it at home, you dont cook it, its all raw chicken legs ground up and then chicken breast or thigh cut up (No bones) , just like they eat in the wild sort of. Our cat lost 16 lbs and went back to acting like he was a kitten again. His skin never fully recovered because he was so fat and it was stretched, but he looked great and we could tell he felt great. He got that big on the "Diet food" which was full of corn. The pics are no joke, that really is before and after. AND I swear this is a boy, he isnt pregnant just has a very bad imbalance or something, I can prove he is a boy via picture too but really, I have no reason to make this up...

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink
    Last edited by tasteslikeburning; 05-18-2010 at 02:01 PM.

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    I've been feeding my kitty a raw (frozen) grain-free catfood called "Primal" for a number of years (she was Primal way before I was, LOL!)
    Anyway, she's very healthy and the perfect weight. Her fur is so soft. She's an indoor/outdoor cat, so she also kills and eats rabbits, chipmunks and birds, which is fine with me. I want her to be capable of taking care of herself.

jibber is offline Junior Member
    Tasteslikeburning, those pics are incredible!!! Yeah, my cat is a bit more like your cats before pic right now

Hazyjane, that's really cool, just saw that "Primal" brand at the pet store near me, good to hear you like it, might give it a try. Did you transition your cat to it by mixing it with old stuff or did you just feed it to her straight away?

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    my kitty is very primal....a fierce hunter. feeds himself mostly in the spring, summer, fall. when I'm lazy, he gets some kibble but not much as he developed FUS o_O That was a fun way to burn through $1300. *thud*

he gets some chicken necks, other parts, hearts, livers, raw sardines etc at first when he was very picky, i'd quickly sear just the outside of the food to give it that yummy cooked smell....then he got over it and transitioned into raw. Interestingly, when he eats truly wild, he leaves the stomach and intestines so I feel no need to replicate that part of the animal - ie with tripe.

K

DebFM is offline Senior Member
    Cillakat, what's FUS?

I have three kitties. One ancient female cat (18 yo) who can't keep weight on and two males who are a good size. One is old (13? yo), one very young (2 yo). The young one was a stray and likes raw food and meat from the table. We're quite happy to oblige him. The other two...well, I tried raw food a couple years ago and neither would go for it. I was surprised because one cat is inside/outside and like to hunt and eat stuff. Maybe he gets his fix there? Our vet is all for raw food and she said the one cat might just be too old. I keep trying, though!

I have two dogs, too. No problem with being primal for them!

Tasteslikeburning - wow! What a great "after" kitty picture!!! Excellent job with your feline! He looks awesome!

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jibber View Post
    Hazyjane, that's really cool, just saw that "Primal" brand at the pet store near me, good to hear you like it, might give it a try. Did you transition your cat to it by mixing it with old stuff or did you just feed it to her straight away?

I don't remember how I transitioned her- I think I just switched her and she liked it. She doesn't like all of the flavors, though.