Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Let's get back to Paleo/Primal training page

  1. #1
    canuck416's Avatar
    canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Sebastopol, CA
    Posts
    1,210

    Let's get back to Paleo/Primal training

    Shop Now
    It seems that perhaps we have lost focus on what it means to embrace a Paleo or Primal blueprint when it comes to our fitness routines. Our Paleo ancestors were survivors whose day to day existence required strength, flexibility, power, speed and endurance. How many of you combine all of these in your programming?

    Here an exciting new approach that I am going to incorporate:

    MoveNat Course video

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUo5RwR-pLg

    Get primal: Work out like a cave man (or woman) - TODAY.com

    And a video to inspire you:

    True To My Nature | By MovNat - YouTube
    Last edited by canuck416; 06-04-2013 at 06:35 AM.

  2. #2
    upupandaway's Avatar
    upupandaway is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    317
    I challenged myself to try some new forms of exercise in April and a MovNat-type session in my garden (based on their youtube channel - balancing on planks, jumping, squatting, sometimes while carrying a large piece of concrete) was both the most absorbing and made me the most sore. I'm now considering buying Daryll Edwards' new book.
    Last edited by upupandaway; 06-04-2013 at 07:17 AM.

  3. #3
    Neckhammer's Avatar
    Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,606
    Unfortunately I think getting really primal for fitness is higher risk with lower reward when compared to a solid strength approach with loads of walking and a few sprints. MOVNAT really intrigues me, but there are simply safer means to that end IMO. But that's me. I'm sure other will love it. Check out DeVany for some additional primal workout.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 06-04-2013 at 06:10 AM.

  4. #4
    PrimalMonkRocker's Avatar
    PrimalMonkRocker is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    4
    I didn't realize our ancestors had such hairless bodies to conveniently emphasize their sculpted physique

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

  5. #5
    canuck416's Avatar
    canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Sebastopol, CA
    Posts
    1,210
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Unfortunately I think getting really primal for fitness is higher risk with lower reward when compared to a solid strength approach with loads of walking and a few sprints. MOVNAT really intrigues me, but there are simply safer means to that end IMO. But that's me. I'm sure other will love it. Check out DeVany for some additional primal workout.
    I understand your concerns. However the MovNat training is very progressive, starting with simple movements and then building the intensity as you gain competency and confidence. You can check this out here in this short video of their 1 & 2 Day workshops -

    MovNat is for everyone! - YouTube

  6. #6
    upupandaway's Avatar
    upupandaway is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    317
    Yeah - I have limited interest in getting really primal. The biggest risk in my back garden is treading in fox ****.

  7. #7
    canuck416's Avatar
    canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Sebastopol, CA
    Posts
    1,210
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck416 View Post
    I understand your concerns. However the MovNat training is very progressive, starting with simple movements and then building the intensity as you gain competency and confidence. You can check this out here in this short video of their 1 & 2 Day workshops -

    MovNat is for everyone! - YouTube
    I think to truly embrace a Paleo lifestyle we need to step outside of our comfort zones and play with some truly ancestral movements. Personally, I will still maintain a solid strength approach, with walking and sprints but I will slowly begin introducing MovNat into my weekly routines.

  8. #8
    not on the rug's Avatar
    not on the rug is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    nj
    Posts
    3,858
    you know what isn't "primal" (god I hate saying things like that) about movant? spending a gazillion dollars for someone to teach you how to jump over a log. I think its a good idea, and a fun form of play. I certainly wouldn't describe it as any sort of training. and for what you get (return on the dollar), its a total sham.
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

    Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

  9. #9
    canuck416's Avatar
    canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Sebastopol, CA
    Posts
    1,210
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    you know what isn't "primal" (god I hate saying things like that) about movant? spending a gazillion dollars for someone to teach you how to jump over a log. I think its a good idea, and a fun form of play. I certainly wouldn't describe it as any sort of training. and for what you get (return on the dollar), its a total sham.
    Hmm, your statement "I wouldn't describe it as any sort of training" leads me to believe you don't get it. Did you watch the video describing the 1 & 2 day courses. Several friends of mine have taken the 2 Day course and absolutely loved it. Both are serious personal trainers and said it was the best course they've ever taken and plan on adding it to their training options for clients.

  10. #10
    not on the rug's Avatar
    not on the rug is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    nj
    Posts
    3,858
    I do get it. known about it for years. probably longer than most of the people on this site. I follow erwan and movant on twitter and they follow me (god only knows why). but $360 for someone to teach me how to play on monkey bars, climb a rope, crawl on all 4s, and throw and catch is a sham. the dude will never get a dime of my money.
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

    Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •