Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Let's get back to Paleo/Primal training page 2

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    I do get it. known about it for years. probably longer than most of the people on this site. I follow erwan and movant on twitter and they follow me (god only knows why). but $360 for someone to teach me how to play on monkey bars, climb a rope, crawl on all 4s, and throw and catch is a sham. the dude will never get a dime of my money.
    Do you incorporate these movements in your training?

not on the rug is offline Senior Member
    I sprint, climb ropes, slackline, throw heavy medicine balls, hit my giant tractor tire with a sledge hammer, flip the tire, use rings, and box, as part of my training. yes. but I also lift heavy 2-3 times per week.
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

I sprint, climb ropes, slackline, throw heavy medicine balls, hit my giant tractor tire with a sledge hammer, flip the tire, use rings, and box, as part of my training. yes. but I also lift heavy 2-3 times per week.
    Sounds pretty MovNat like to me, I bet you would never pay anyone to teach you how to lift weights, run or do Crossfit either. I never have, just basically learned it from reading and watching videos. However the course is a way to develop a systemized way of incorporating these type of movements into a routine and is usually attended by personal trainers and teachers who are looking to add it to their programming.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck416 View Post
    Sounds pretty MovNat like to me, I bet you would never pay anyone to teach you how to lift weights, run or do Crossfit either. I never have, just basically learned it from reading and watching videos. However the course is a way to develop a systemized way of incorporating these type of movements into a routine and is usually attended by personal trainers and teachers who are looking to add it to their programming.
    what it sounds like is my workout. it isn't trademarked or overpriced. I've had someone show me things like proper squat and deadlift form. I've had people show me proper snatch form. you can get hurt when you are picking nearly 3x your bodyweight up off the ground.

you don't need to learn how to climb monkeybars and throw a sandbag from a professional trainer. and you certainly don't need a systemized way to do so. this is my problem with the world we live in today. everyone is so quick to jump in to telling all of their friend that they are "paleo" or they do "movnat" etc. its crap. the idea of natural human movement is just that. its natural. paying someone $400 to show you isn't natural. in fact, its the antithesis of natural. people that pay for that stuff are too dumb to survive. I just wish I would have though of it sooner and then i'd be wealthy and in the Spanish countryside teaching stupid people with too much disposable income how to crawl like a bear for $2000
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

Stacy15 is offline Senior Member
    I spent the last weekend on a canoe trip. Gear/canoe had to be carried to water access which was ~100 yards downhill through woods (uphill on return). Along the trip we had to portage also. There were downed trees that needed be crawled over, and generally some rough terrain in spots. It was great fun but hard work! Made me realize all the time I spend in gym is making me strong/healthy, but doesn't offer enough 'functional strength' for a weekend outing in nature. Movement required is totally different. So this makes sense to me, but I just plan on getting into the woods more.

Okay then not on the rug, you seem a bit high strung and angry. I guess we will just disagree on this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Stacy15 View Post
    I spent the last weekend on a canoe trip. Gear/canoe had to be carried to water access which was ~100 yards downhill through woods (uphill on return). Along the trip we had to portage also. There were downed trees that needed be crawled over, and generally some rough terrain in spots. It was great fun but hard work! Made me realize all the time I spend in gym is making me strong/healthy, but doesn't offer enough 'functional strength' for a weekend outing in nature. Movement required is totally different. So this makes sense to me, but I just plan on getting into the woods more.
    that's awesome! and I think your conclusion is a bit off. i'd argue that your time in the gym better prepared you for doing what you did all weekend. I think that true fitness lies somewhere in between spending tons of time in the gym and tons of time doing natural movements. a bit of both seems to be the best balance for overall fitness

Quote Originally Posted by canuck416 View Post
    Okay then not on the rug, you seem a bit high strung and angry. I guess we will just disagree on this issue.
    quite the opposite. i'm neither high strung nor angry about anything. you stated that you never paid anyone to teach you lifts, crossfit, etc. things that are completely unnatural. why would you then advocate paying someone to teach you movements that are natural?

I don't think we really disagree on anything. movnat is a great idea. but overpriced and trademarked are two things that shouldn't have anything to do with natural movement. do you disagree with that?

Quote Originally Posted by Stacy15 View Post
    I had the same type of experience Stacy15. I had been training hard with weights in the gym, adding in yoga, sprints and lots of long walks etc. but attended a MovNat workout at a park in San Francisco just for fun and was pretty stiff for the next couple of days. Kind of opened my eyes to the fact that it I probably need to expand my routines and build in this type of training a day or two each week.

Stacy15 is offline Senior Member
    that's awesome! and I think your conclusion is a bit off. i'd argue that your time in the gym better prepared you for doing what you did all weekend. I think that true fitness lies somewhere in between spending tons of time in the gym and tons of time doing natural movements. a bit of both seems to be the best balance for overall fitness
    I might have not worded that the best... I agree that my time in gym helped me on trip. I would have been dying had I not been in some sort of good shape! And no way I could have helped carry what I did without strength training. I just went in thinking I was in good shape, and it set me back a few notches seeing how difficult it was!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast