Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vegetarians live longer? page

kathleen is offline Senior Member

Vegetarians live longer?

Are vegetarian diets secret to long life? People who avoid meat have better health due to lower blood pressure | Mail Online

I wonder if the studies of vegetarians vs. 'meat eaters' and the effects on health, are that the average meat eater will have it between buns and with fried stuff on the side? And the average vegetarian will be more aware of healthy decisions?

Discuss.
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    The other factor is the 'blue zones', which show that small close knit communities that don't overeat live longer.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    subcaloric diets might also play a role, but IDK.

rcav8r is offline Senior Member
    This story is misleading. They simply found that of 5 types of eaters (veggies, semi-vegies, meat eaters with seafood, meat eaters including dairy, and vegans), the veggies were 12% less likely to die of some cause or another, and listed some common traits, such as less likely to smoke and drink, more likely to be more educated and married.

The short article doesn't really say much about how the other groups fared, and I'm sure that most of the meat eaters in the study included those that had a SAD type diet-I say type, since the study was in Britian.

awok677 is offline Senior Member
    Ah, wonder if that's linked to why I was hearing some guff on the radio this morning that we should all be eating less meat. I was about to get angry about it and then realised it must be a slow news day and it'll blow over in a day or two.
    Me, My Father and The Alzheimer's - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread84213.html

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    people who don't eat any meat at all live longer

so do those who eat nothing but meat

and people who eat no fat? live longer

people who eat all fat too
    beautiful
    yeah you are

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

zebonaut is offline Senior Member
    Obviously there is a big difference betweeen eating grass fed beef only; and a McDonalds Big Mac; bun and all; with super sized fries and a coke.

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    From an article with more references to the study (confounding factors in bold):
    The study included 73,308 Seventh-Day Adventist men and women, who were recruited sometime between 2002 and 2007, and were followed for a mean time of 5.79 years. Over that time period, 2,570 people died.
    Seventh-Day Adventists are typically vegetarian, I'd like to see how many actually made-up the meat-eating proportion (I doubt it was 50/50). If the meat-eaters were not 7DAs, then I'd like to point out that 7DAs tend to live far healthier lives than the average person anyway. Comparing the average person to a 7DA is like comparing a cancer-survivor to someone who's never had cancer.
    They followed them for a very short amount of time.

Researchers found that compared with nonvegetarians, all vegetarians had a 12 percent lower risk of dying over this time period. Specifically, vegans had a 15 percent lower risk of death, lacto-ovo-vegetarians had a 9 percent lower risk of death, pesco-vegetarians had a 19 percent lower risk of death and semi-vegetarians had an 8 percent lower risk of death.
    Apparently fish isn't meat.

However, it's important to note that people who are vegetarians tended to be more likely to be married, have higher education levels and be older and thinner. They were also more likely to exercise, to not smoke and to not drink. Researchers noted that all of these are also factors could play a role in their lower risk of death.
    Ya think?

Do Vegetarians Live Longer?
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I've read that married people live longer also. I don't think that's the case. Like with vegetarians, I think it just feels longer. heh
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    I've read that married people live longer also. I don't think that's the case. Like with vegetarians, I think it just feels longer. heh
    I LOL'd.

Really, I think its because people who choose to make a lifestyle change in their diet (vegetarians) also choose to make other healthy choices, such as home cooked meals, whole foods, not smoking, exercising...

They should do a comparison between Primal 7DAs and regular 7DAs, too
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast