Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: *finger quotes* Highly Active */finger quotes* WTH Does This Really Mean? page

astrummortis is offline Junior Member

*finger quotes* Highly Active */finger quotes* WTH Does This Really Mean?

I hate seeing terms like 'highly active.' It's so... ambiguous. What counts as highly active? Just running? Heavy cardio plus weight lifting? Light cardio plus weight lifting?

I walk ~ 7 miles four days a week. Probably 3 mph, through town, up hills, through trails... Then work on my feet wandering around a confined space for 7 hours or more the other three days.

Is that highly active? Moderately active? Low active? I do basic body weight exercises and that's the extent of my muscle-retaining activity.

I ask because I see things like 'you may eat 100-150g carbs if you're highly active' and I just want to know, what. Does. This. Mean?

Thank you for your patient answer, if you've got one.

Nivanthe is offline Senior Member
    My very unscientific definition: Highly active (on most of those calorie calculators) is doing some form of exercise 4-5 days a week, but you're also on your feet daily for work, or walking a lot.

It sounds like you are fairly highly active. There's some debate about the accuracy of the carb curve, but you're probably safe with that level of carbs Experiment and see what makes you feel the best.

Thanks for the reply, Nivanthe! (cool name, btw) I honestly, just want to eat my freaking apples, banana's, and sweet potatoes without feeling the guilt factor. Since posting this I've been eating about that much (~140 g) and I do feel *really* good. And I honestly feel like I'm losing fat faster... but maybe that's because I've started eating back my exercise calories. I have been on a really big deficit for a really long time.

Whoah, ramble. Anyway, THANK YOU. I felt like it was highly active, too, but who knows if we're only counting crazy things like HIIT or heavy lifting with that phrase.

aliphian is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by astrummortis View Post
    I honestly, just want to eat my freaking apples, banana's, and sweet potatoes without feeling the guilt factor.
    You should never feel guilty about eating nutritious, whole foods. Stress is bad for you; apples, bananas and sweet potatoes are not.
    The above should be viewed as complete and utter nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by aliphian View Post
    You should never feel guilty about eating nutritious, whole foods. Stress is bad for you; apples, bananas and sweet potatoes are not.
    I *know* I shouldn't. And that stress leads to overeating sugar anyway. *sigh* Thank you for reminding me!

maclrc is offline Senior Member
    The low-carb notion is often overplayed in the Primal community, although there are significant numbers shunning it now.

I think it came about because a lot of carb-rich sources are non-primal, those that are Primal friendly tend not to provide huge amounts of carbs (most fruit and vegetables, unless you eat vast amounts of them). What Alphian has said is correct, don't worry about eating nutritious foods even if they contain carbs.

Statements like "highly active people can eat more carbs" aren't helpful as they imply carbs are somehow bad for less active people, which, as I say above, isn't true. The key reason you hear phrases like this is because "highly active" people need a lot more calories - once they have eaten enough protein for adequate repair and grow, they then also require a large amount of fuel in the form of fats and carbs. A lot of us find there is only so much fat we can eat in a day, so add a chunk of energy rich, but hopefully nutritious, carbs too e.g. sweet potatoes and fruit, etc.

Although not ridiculously active, I cycle to work and back 3-5 days a week (15 miles round trip), do heavy weights 1-3 times a week, do crossfit 1-3 times a week, and also play rugby once a week during the season. I eat as much (primal) carbohydrate as I like, with no negative effects; in fact I find I have better energy levels. My job is sedentary.

maclrc is offline Senior Member
    Oh, one further point, do make sure you eat plenty of fats too. Being fat adapted (good at burning body fat for fuel) is very advantageous. Those of us that eat plenty of fats and carbs tend to find we are good at using both for fuel.

Eureka5280 is offline Senior Member
    You know when you're typing on a keyboard you can use actual quotes, right? :P

Nivanthe is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by astrummortis View Post
    Thanks for the reply, Nivanthe! (cool name, btw) I honestly, just want to eat my freaking apples, banana's, and sweet potatoes without feeling the guilt factor. Since posting this I've been eating about that much (~140 g) and I do feel *really* good. And I honestly feel like I'm losing fat faster...
    Thanks

Some people do better with higher carb. I'm one of those. I actually did one of those 23andme tests, and one of the results was that I don't do well on high fat diets, and can contribute to more obesity. Not sure how well that goes along with the Primal tenets, but it still reflects my n=1 that I lose more when I eat less fat.

(And technically the fat has to come from somewhere to meet daily needs, dietary or storage, i'd prefer it come from storage, y'know?) But I still put coconut oil on my carby potatoes.

Some of the feeling better is probably eating more, absolutely. Carbs do help with that as well. As long as you feel good and are losing fat (Take measurements!) then there should be no reason to change.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Practical Paleo has a good solid description. Highly active is basically participating in a competitive sport, and having the training commitment that equates that. This is a group of people who can go over 200-300 g carbs according to PP.

Any normal routine, i.e. lifting 3-4x a week with some dedicated cardio and any amount of moving slow is 50-75 g carbs iirc.

In between are folks who train with HIT like Cross-fit 5-7 days a week, to get to the >75 and <200 g.

When calculating my caloric range, I find that using 'Sedentary' lifestyle approximates the calories that are in my maintain/lose a little range more accurately if I try to go for the Active lifestyle (lifting, cardo).

Even though my activity level is not athletic-style, more normal lifting/cardio/moving slowly style I feel happier with higher carbs, pretty much over 100 g carbs but below 200 carbs daily.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast