Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vegetarian diet on days when you can't afford quality meat? page

miniGrokette is offline Member

Vegetarian diet on days when you can't afford quality meat?

Primal Fuel
    I'm a full-time student without the means to finance a yummy, perfect diet. I eat meat nearly every day. Trader Joe's has some affordable organic meats, but even that I can't do all the time. Would it be better to spend a few days a week eating a vegetarian diet than to eat lower quality meat from, say, Publix? If so, are there any suggestions for foods to eat on those days? How do vegetarians stay full? I can't see just veggies doing the trick!

Thanks for all the great responses. I don't meat every day because I have to. I just really love all varieties of meat and seafood and find them very filling. I love eggs, sweet potatoes, bananas, and cottage cheese... maybe those things will be sufficient enough! Also, canned, wild fish was an great suggestion. You guys are awesome.
    Last edited by miniGrokette; 06-03-2013 at 06:35 PM.

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    Part-time vegetarian works fine. Eat good eggs (try and get 50g of protein a day, but bear in mind your personal minimum may be higher [*even], mine is 90g). Tubers and butter for main energy. Fruit for breakfast, leafy greens to fill-up.
    Last edited by Kochin; 06-04-2013 at 02:50 AM.
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    I recently ate at a vegetarian restaurant. I was more full than I have been since I ate pasta. How do they stay full? They simply eat huge portions. I was served an entire yam as appetizer, and and a huge plate for an entree.

Vegetarian food will not fill you up unless you eat tons. If you can't afford the meat, buy a dozen high quality eggs and throw some eggs in with your vege meals. Even if you buy the best quality eggs at like $5/carton, it's still way cheaper than high quality steaks.
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    Yes, its best not to eat poor quality meats in my opinion. You might consider a can of wild salmon or sardines which are reasonably inexpensive and free range eggs would be good alternatives.

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    I believe the proteins in gelatin are complementary to meat, so having some bone soup/stew, pork rinds, or dessert made with plain gelatin might work well alongside dishes that use smaller meat portions like salad/stirfry/curry. "Meat" doesn't always need to be a 8~16 oz. slab.

Eggs, canned seafood, strained yogurt, and cottage cheese are decent too.

I would not pursue typical vegetarian proteins (i.e. seeds).
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    Most paleo "gurus" say don't let perfect be the enemy of food. I agree and feel that it's more important to eat meat than worry about quality. I can't afford organic or pastured meats hardly ever, so I just eat the regular stuff.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

rcav8r is offline Senior Member
    I'm with Namelesswonder. I still consider myself new at this, but grass fed isn't always in the budget, so better cuts of grocery store/butcher shop meat is a good alternative, IMHO.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I eat the regular meats. I just get leaner meats. I've never felt better in my life. Liver is pretty cheap. They had sole at the ethnic market yesterday for $3 a pound.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    There are days when I only feel like eating vegetarian type food. Simply because every once in a while I get burned out on meat. It is okay not to eat meat every day.
    I also see nothing wrong with cafo meat, nutritionally speaking if most of the fat is avoided.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Also, white potatoes and bananas keep me full like nothing else ever before.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast