Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sunscreens... and other fairy tales page

primal_alex is offline Senior Member

Sunscreens... and other fairy tales

Primal Fuel
    I started reading an article and ended up reading the usual propaganda about sunscreens.

Is sunscreen safe? | aad.org

Have fun

ilovesteak is offline Senior Member
    Sometimes, when I get too hot, I go and sit under a tree. The best sunscreen evah.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    I do the hat with a brim/long-sleeved cotton shirt thing. Second best sunscreen evah.

Waterlily is offline Senior Member
    What? Sunscreen is not safe?
    Please educate me.
    I'm new, not sarcastic.

The common stuff has some ingredients that may be bad for you and don't appear to block some of the more carcinogenic of the UV-spectrum rays from the sun. Micronized zinc oxide is supposedly safe and full-spectrum.

Paraben?

oxybenzone, retinyl palmitate, all kinds of petroleum derivatives, not to mention fragrances and other chemical junk.

I will use coconut oil (very weak sunscreen) and then put on my long-sleeved shirt and hat (or put up the beach umbrella) after I've had enough exposure. Works just fine.

primal_alex is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterlily View Post
    What? Sunscreen is not safe?
    Please educate me.
    I'm new, not sarcastic.
    There are several researches suggesting that melanoma is caused by lack of vitamin D. In other words, vitamin D protects from cancer. These researches of course are the best kept secret of the pharma industry.

To make things more interesting, vitamin D is the one your skin naturally produces when exposed to the sun. Using a SPF of only 10 almost completely stops this process, imagine a SPF of 50! In short: less sun -> less vitamin -> more cancer. To confirm it, just consider the following fact: since when sunscreens exist and are used, there have been more and more cases of melanoma.

Also, a lot of questions have been raised about the safety of those chemicals contained in sunscreens. Many are toxic alone, but companies keep using it. Many others are not toxic in vitro, but may become once exposed to UV light, which is going to happen anyway

Ehm... this does not mean that you should roast 10 hours per day, but not even avoid any ray of light as if you were going to evaporate like a vampire. The healthy tan is a moderate one. Take it gradually according to your skin type and how tanned you already are. The only thing I agree on is that sunburns are unhealthy and should be avoided at all cost.

Thanks RichMahogany and primal_alex!

Very helpful information. I'm learning so much here. Used to be a vegan wearing spf 60... I am now enjoying meat and going outside for small periods of time with no sunscreen and got a tan, woohoo! It's an achievement for a redhead (well auburn...) with light skin. I will look up micronized zinc. May use that if needed.

miniGrokette is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    The sun is just too strong where I live to not use sunscreen. I wear a hat and sunnies, but there is no way I could make it through the day in a long sleeved shirt or pants during the summer. A walk to class and back could give me a sunburn. Not worth it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast