Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does coconut cream or ferm veggies cause bloating? page

aprimalmomma is offline Senior Member

Does coconut cream or ferm veggies cause bloating?

Primal Fuel
    I'm on day 3 of a W30 and i have been extremely bloated the past 2 days...the only changes I have made are using coconut cream from Aroy in my coffee/tea in stead of hc and eating some fermented cabbage or veggies before every meal...

Any ideas?

Sent from my PG06100 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    Many people experience bloating when consuming coconut product. I would say it's that, if anything.
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Fermented craut causes bloating for sure.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by kathleen View Post
    Many people experience bloating when consuming coconut product. I would say it's that, if anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Fermented craut causes bloating for sure.
    One vote for each. I think that kathleen is right that coconut can cause digestive distress but it is usually of the trotting to the loo frequently variety if you eat a bunch of it when not used to it. Doesn't usually cause bloat that I have ever heard of.
    Fermented cabbage is asking for bloat, IMO. Fermentation gives of gasses that puff you up like a puffer fish, IME.

Nstocks is offline Senior Member
    Yes! For me anything coconut other than oil causes bloat. Cream/milk especially. Fermented veggies can also cause bloat but I never really got that much bloat from Sauerkraut though I agree it can give off some horrible gasses. (I don't really eat vegetables anymore, I find fruit far easier to digest and it gives me sustained energy) I believe that Coconut milk is also a FODMAP.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Nstocks View Post
    Yes! For me anything coconut other than oil causes bloat. Cream/milk especially. Fermented veggies can also cause bloat but I never really got that much bloat from Sauerkraut though I agree it can give off some horrible gasses. (I don't really eat vegetables anymore, I find fruit far easier to digest and it gives me sustained energy) I believe that Coconut milk is also a FODMAP.

Hmm. This is Chris Kresser's post on FODMAPS. FODMAPs: Could common foods be harming your digestive health?

I didn't realize that coconut was on the list, not having an issue with them myself.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    I think it's a YMMV issue. They haven't caused me much trouble but I see how fermented veggies can cause bloating. The sodium content doesn't help, either.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Damn...these are 2 new "discoveries" I've made in the past week that I loved...the kraut helps with times when I want a little something and takes the edge off my hunger pre-meal...do you think it is the cabbage or the fermentation process that is causing the problem? (I have some fermented cauliflower that I got with the kraut from the health food store)...I thought the probiotics would help me

I just started the coconut cream to replace hc for my whole 30...

I guess I should take both out and then add one at a time to see which it is...or both : (

I have 2 1/2 cartons of Aroy left and just ordered a fermenting book : (...

Nstocks is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aprimalmomma View Post
    Damn...these are 2 new "discoveries" I've made in the past week that I loved...the kraut helps with times when I want a little something and takes the edge off my hunger pre-meal...do you think it is the cabbage or the fermentation process that is causing the problem? (I have some fermented cauliflower that I got with the kraut from the health food store)...I thought the probiotics would help me

I just started the coconut cream to replace hc for my whole 30...

I guess I should take both out and then add one at a time to see which it is...or both : (

I have 2 1/2 cartons of Aroy left and just ordered a fermenting book : (...
    Well cabbage is also a FODMAP which can cause issues for some people. Fermentation itself is the production (or by product) of bacteria growth, it is though that the bloating is 'good bacteria' flooding the gut, getting rid of the bad bacteria and causing 'expansion' AKA bloat. The best way to find out whether it's the fermentation or the cabbage itself would be to eat cabbage that isn't fermented, perhaps steam some and see how you feel after that.

I've tried carrots and ginger fermented together and I seem to do better with them, though I don't eat any fermented foods right now. Sauerkraut is the most powerful veggie probiotic and you don't really need to eat a vast amount, perhaps 1/4 cup a day will be better suited if you bloat. I also made Kombucha for a few months and found that bloated me too, as does yogurt. There are plenty of options to try if you really want fermented foods.

If you find that it is too much then I would definitely take it out for a period of time. You don't want to be eating that stuff and not been able to assimilate it - I did that for too long and it is not good!

How about pickled okra...got a jar today and it satisfied the sour/salt need tonight...just okra cider vinegar garlic...a little ghee on a spoon took place of coconut...hope it is only one of these not both items...hoping i can keep coconut cream...was a great dessert for me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast