Page 3 of 46 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Depression Support page 3

Kimchiqueen is offline Member
    I went on the GAPS diet to try to treat my depression/anxiety/bipolar. It definitely worked!!! It incorporates a lot of stuff you're talking about, plus digestion, detoxification, and altering gut microbes. The GAPS diet is how I found this site since primal is almost exactly the same as GAPS, except GAPS also removes sugars like maple syrup and all starches. So I learned how to cook yummier food by coming to MDA and modifying a few things!

It worked so well I decided to go to school so I could help other people (NTA). I think primal is helpful to alter the digestive system, and that affects the brain. Inflammation starts in the gut and inflammation affects every part of the body, including the brain. A couple of posts I've written:

What Does My Belly Have to Do with My Brain? | The Sour Path is the Sweetest
    What’s the Big Deal?- Food Allergies and Sensitivities | The Sour Path is the Sweetest

I'm also planning to write a post on issues with fat digestion. A lot of people start paleo/primal and don't feel as good as they should. (Then they think the diet doesn't "work") Their gallbladders get out of whack from low fat/bad fat eating and their gallbladders are congested (or missing!). This affects a lot of things in the body including hormones. So you could be eating this awesome primal diet and not getting the benefits because your digestion isn't allowing your body to utilize what you're eating!

Thanks, Owen, for helping get the word out that diet is HUGE in treating depression . A lot of people are completely disabled by mental stuff, and they just keep trying different meds.
    Last edited by Kimchiqueen; 09-07-2013 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Forgot something
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough.

http://thesourpathisthesweetest.com/

I do eat fruit. I went low carb for a while to try to become fat adapted. After a while I started eating more carbs and I feel fine.

Owen is offline Senior Member
    I've also been hearing about the importance of the gut bacteria and how little we know about it, other than that apprently antibiotics can kill them off. I definitely find a correlation between how well my digestion is working and my overall sense of well being. I've also read recently about the amount of neurons in the gut - yes part of our brain is technically in our gut (or at least, our neural network if you don't want to call it the brain). Makes you think about the phrase 'a gut feeling'.

I'd be interested to hear more about fat digestion - since becoming more acquainted with fats and eating them has been one of the big areas of change for me, and understanding the role of fats in reversing depression.

You have some interesting blogs - good to see this type of information out there. Do you now provide Nutrition Therapy to people?

Looking at the GAPS diet, it seems to be similar to PB as you say. I've recently started to forage for wild foods and particularly wild fruits and you definitely begin to get a taste for more bitter flavours - interesting that it does specific good things for the digestive system, even more of a reason for me to do it!
    Last edited by Owen; 09-07-2013 at 01:51 PM.

I'll be done with the course in November, then I can take clients. I've seen some "practice" clients.

Oh, and the "sour" is for fermented foods, one of my favorite things.

The foraging sounds fun! Ancestral at its best.

I'm documenting my foraging on here :-)

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread91318-2.html

Its amazing actually. I can't drive down a country lane without stopping to collect something edible - I am learning that we're surrounded by food, and very few of us know it.

I think of that sometimes, when I'm BROKE . But I need to think about it more. Will go check it out.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    I found a way to quickly make me feel blissful and happy that may or may not work for you. It's only temporary relief, but frankly, anything that can make you feel better, even temporarily, is great when you need it.

What you need:

Coffee machine
    Coffee filter
    Yerba Mate
    Raw cacao powder
    400 mgs suntheanine version of l-theanine

Here's what you do:

1) 3 tbs of any brand of yerba mate you like (yes, different brands taste different so play around at first) into coffee filter
    2) 2 cups of water into coffee machine
    3) Brew as if coffee
    4) Take the suntheanine (pill or powder doesn't matter - suntheanine is like l-theanine on crack - you might play around woth the exact amount as well )
    5) Pour mate into drinking vessel - let cool for a few
    6) Either consume 1 tbls cocao powder straight or add it to the cooled mate
    7) Drink mate

How it works:

Theanine calms and relaxes the body. Suntheanine, being more powerful, relaxes you even further. Mate has caffeine which speeds along the delivery of the suntheanine and mate also has several chemicals in it that break the blood/brain barrier that have been shown to effect mood. RAW cacao (not cooked or chocolate bars or that stuff), has phenylethylamine (PEA or the "love molecule") which stimulates dopamine production in the brain, good for mood and contains direct serotonin precursors, also good for mood since many drugs that are made for depression treatment try to correct serotonin imbalances anyway.

Verdict? 100% natural and it works for me!

Your milage may vary however.
    Last edited by Drumroll; 09-07-2013 at 06:52 PM.

I discovered the pleasures of Mate whilst in Argentina and have struggled to find it in the uk - but I might have to order some online, I agree its pretty darn good stuff - better than tea IMO. I never thought that it would combine well with cacao though. I have some raw cacao that I add to my filter coffee which makes a very pleasant drink. The raw cacao I use comes in a solid block and looks like normal chocolate but is nothing like it. I may have to try this concoction, thanks.

PS, I believe that general dietary integrity -clean eating - is the best way to ensure good levels of energy and avoidance of depression, but everyone needs a pick me up occasionally!

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owen View Post
    I discovered the pleasures of Mate whilst in Argentina and have struggled to find it in the uk - but I might have to order some online, I agree its pretty darn good stuff - better than tea IMO. I never thought that it would combine well with cacao though. I have some raw cacao that I add to my filter coffee which makes a very pleasant drink. The raw cacao I use comes in a solid block and looks like normal chocolate but is nothing like it. I may have to try this concoction, thanks.

PS, I believe that general dietary integrity -clean eating - is the best way to ensure good levels of energy and avoidance of depression, but everyone needs a pick me up occasionally!
    It's not a magical cure, no way, no how. You still have to work through a lot of things. But if you find yourself in a particularly bad slump, the little "cocktail" I posted can be a good way to provide a moment of temporary relief!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm definitely going to get some Yerba Mate, but looks like I'll have to order it online..

Page 3 of 46 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast