Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Bigger Arms Contest page 6

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Chin-ups. Do them now. Yes, 6 weeks into SS.

StupidFatHobbit is offline Senior Member
    I do them (assisted pull-ups) but I do 3 sets of 5 and then increase weight next workout. Maybe I should do an increased # of reps on those?

Quote Originally Posted by StupidFatHobbit View Post
    I do them (assisted pull-ups) but I do 3 sets of 5 and then increase weight next workout. Maybe I should do an increased # of reps on those?
    Three sets of five reps is just fine. However, for the purposes of guns, do chin-ups (palms of your hand facing you, i.e. more bicep recruitment) instead of pull-ups. Increasing the weight is good too.

OK Thanks. The main reason I haven't done chin ups is that the pull-up / chin up machine at my gym has the hand grips canted at a slightly downward angle. This makes positioning palms towards the face very uncomfortable. There is an alternate grip at 90 degrees though (held like a hammer curl, thumbs toward face). Would that be better for biceps?

OK Thanks. The main reason I haven't done chin ups is that the pull-up / chin up machine at my gym has the hand grips canted at a slightly downward angle. This makes positioning palms towards the face very uncomfortable. There is an alternate grip at 90 degrees though (held like a hammer curl, thumbs toward face). Would that be better for biceps?
    Do you have a Smith machine, or a flat bar at your gym? If so, you can get some rubber bands for assistance, or do jumping chin-ups and/or negatives.

Yes there are flat bars (unassisted). I don't know if I'm even at 1RM = bodyweight yet, though (prob not, especially with all this eating...)

Yes there are flat bars (unassisted). I don't know if I'm even at 1RM = bodyweight yet, though (prob not, especially with all this eating...)
    You can do jumping chin-ups. Then jumping chin-ups into negatives (lower yourself slowly). You'll get there.

By the way, can you do at least 10 push-ups?

Yes, but I think I may have done them wrong all my life. I always did them with elbows pointing out and only discovered recently that apparently you're supposed to have your elbows pointing back (towards feet), which makes them harder.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    I also always did push-ups "elbows out" until somebody told me it was wrong. Glad to know I'm not the only one! These days I keep inching my hands lower and lower and put less weight on my feet so I'm raising most of my body weight with my arms alone. I actually find "elbows in" to be easier, like I can recruit my lats toward the bottom.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Wow I find it way harder.

OK I just checked using a nearby roof truss... It turns out I can actually do 1 chin up and almost 1 pull-up (got up to about eye height then tired out). Maybe I would have been able to do the pull-up if I tried that first. Who knew!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast