Thread: Can I use different machines in a fat burning cardio session? page

inter is offline Junior Member

Can I use different machines in a fat burning cardio session?

I usually do 60 min of cardio at 65% of my maximum heart rate. I do this first thing in the morning on an empty stomach.

What I want to know is can I use different machines to make up that 60 min? So, for example, 30 min on incline treadmill and then 30 on the elliptical. Or do I have to do 60 continuous min on one machine to burn the most fat? If I jump off one machine after 30 min my heart rate drops below 65% so then I have to start a new 30 min session on another machine. My watch starts when I'm at 65% MHR. I've heard some people say you don't start burning fat until after 30 min, but does that apply to empty stomach cardio too? The reason I ask this question is because it's easier to use multiple machines, both mentally and physically (my toes don't appreciate 60 min on an elliptical).

Lockstock is offline Senior Member
    you could...
    But the question is, why are you doing an hour of cardio a morning for fat loss?

Allenete is offline Senior Member
    What is your height, age, sex and weight? If you don't mind revealing... Just so I can get an idea of things

Quote Originally Posted by Lockstock View Post
    you could...
    But the question is, why are you doing an hour of cardio a morning for fat loss?
    My diet isn't the best right now. I am trying to put on weight and eating easy foods that will help me do that. I've gained 7 lbs this year.

Quote Originally Posted by allenete View Post
    what is your height, age, sex and weight? If you don't mind revealing... Just so i can get an idea of things
    5'10", 27, m, 147

aliphian is offline Senior Member
    60 minutes of fasted cardio daily to "put on weight".

The above should be viewed as complete and utter nonsense.

Allenete is offline Senior Member
    OK, so you're not overweight or anything and you're a young male. Why are you only working at 65%? And why an hour of cardio at such a steady, low heart rate? I can carry a full conversation at 65%. You may as well go for a walk and get some sun and fresh air and not worry about your toes on elliptical machines.

And why did you say you're trying to lose weight in your original post, and then in a following post you say you're trying to put on weight? I'm very confused right now.

TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member
    With all due respect, the ultimate oxymoron in fitness is a "fat burning cardio session".

I would look at your fitness and physique as 3 largely unrelated categories, and to approach each with an understanding that each requires its own stimulus to improve.

1) Muscle strength and size: Improved by lifting very heavy, usually through old-school compound movements (Big 3, anyone?). Only need 3 or so sessions a week, takes no longer than 30-40 min.
    2) Cardiovascular health: Improved by cardio training. Best methods are usually LISS (advocated heavily my Mr. Sisson) and HIIT. Do long and slow or short and very fast. Most in between is inefficient and counterproductive to #1 and #3.
    3) Fat reduction: Improved almost entirely by diet, macro intake. This is the dirty little secret that every glossy "how to lose ten pounds with this exercise" magazine covers don't want people to know. Abs, or low body fat, is made in the kitchen or on the fasting clock. You cannot "spot lose" fat, and all research (or the use of a calculator) shows that the idea of using exercise as a fat loss tool is sketchy at best. (I recommend Taubes as having the most mathematical, overwhelming evidence to this fact). No amount of jogging or slaving away on an eliptical is going to LOSE fat. It may help #1 or #3 (if you are decrepit or very weak), but it will not tone you up.

I hope that this helps. There are far too many people that do cardio thinking it will lose body fat, only to blow through their glycogen and make them go crush as 150g sugar "smoothie". Don't fall into that.

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Yeah "fat burning cardio session" and "artery clogging saturated fats" are the innocent things people say, from hearing it that way for decades.

We should change these to "bulking cardio session" and "artery clogging sugar".

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    To answer your question, yes you can use different machines in your workout.

I don't think the little bit of heart rate drop is going to affect your workout. If anything, compelling your heart to ramp up and down is more natural than keeping it steady.

If you really want to lose some fat, though, I think you are better off pushing a prowler, dragging a tire with a harness, doing tabata sprints and complexes, or other similar things.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs