Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Strength training with low back pain while trying to gain weight page 5

Alfi56 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Here's a guide to coaching the deadlift. If you're coaching yourself, it might help.
    AC Discusses the Deadlift | 70's Big

What can you do with your arms? Are bench and overhead pressing out of the question?
    I unfortunately dont have the equipment to do bench or overheads, and I think even if I did it would be bad for my arms.

Quote Originally Posted by dilberryhoundog View Post
    Does the back pain show up from prolonged excercise. Can you do at least one excercise without it hurting?

Sent from my iPhone
    Yes, it does occur whenever I exercise. It eases after a couple days, but its frustrating when it hurts again when I exert it.

dilberryhoundog is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfi56 View Post
    Yes, it does occur whenever I exercise. It eases after a couple days, but its frustrating when it hurts again when I exert it.
    Yeah I was just trying to gauge whether it was more of chronic overuse style injury. Or an acute physical damage style injury.

If it was a chronic type injury I was going to suggest getting under the bar for as heavy as you could handle for only 1-2 lifts, once or twice a week.It takes alot of rest, but would still give you significant muscle adaptation, this removes the repetitive time stress overload.

If it was an acute injury (like a torn back muscle) I was going to suggest a "grease the groove" type protocol. Where you do many small light lifts. Do them a few times a day every day of the week. This requires very little rest and recovery with only a very small amount of adaptation each time. But because the amount times per week you do them it builds into a significant amount of muscle adaptation. This removes acute stress overload. (Your back's damage threshold is very reduced in this scenario).

Sent from my iPhone
    A little primal gem - My Success Story
    Weight lost in 4 months - 29kg (64 lbs)

[QUOTE=dilberryhoundog;1249600]Yeah I was just trying to gauge whether it was more of chronic overuse style injury. Or an acute physical damage style injury.

If it was a chronic type injury I was going to suggest getting under the bar for as heavy as you could handle for only 1-2 lifts, once or twice a week.It takes alot of rest, but would still give you significant muscle adaptation, this removes the repetitive time stress overload.

If it was an acute injury (like a torn back muscle) I was going to suggest a "grease the groove" type protocol. Where you do many small light lifts. Do them a few times a day every day of the week. This requires very little rest and recovery with only a very small amount of adaptation each time. But because the amount times per week you do them it builds into a significant amount of muscle adaptation. This removes acute stress overload. (Your back's damage threshold is very reduced in this scenario).

Hmm thats interesting. I'm not sure whether it's acute or chronic though. It might be acute; if so would you recommend deadlifts or some other exercise with light weights, about 3-5 lbs?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    yup i stretch every day

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345