Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Strength training with low back pain while trying to gain weight page 3

Nivanthe is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfi56 View Post
    I also want to avoid bulking up with the deadlight, and just want to tone up.
    Agreed with the above. It's one of those myths that I hope dies soon ... you won't get bulky unless you're purposefully trying. I mean REALLY trying. I browse the female section of bodybuilding.com, and it takes years of lifting and dedicated eating at a surplus for women to gain significant muscle. We gain it at a rate of .5lbs a month, roughly.

+2 to death of the word 'tone'. There's fat, and there's muscle. "Toning" is simply losing 'the jiggle', which is losing fat but in a more buzzwordy marketing way.

10 Bears is offline Member
    Arnie had the 'fat test' which he described as; 'flex everything as hard as you can, jump, then if it jiggles its fat'.

Unfortunately, Im more jiggle then I want, but less than I was!

Diechipmunk is offline Junior Member
    The best way to overcome back pain is to strengthen your back. Pay attention to form at all times.

I wish it were as easy to "bulk up" as so many people fear.

True - if only it were that easy to increase mass, but...

Repeated inclusion of deadlifting in worksouts, particularly heavy deadlifts, does increase mass in the Obliquus abdominis externus region which gives for a fuller look around the waist. Most people would prefer a tapered look from the Latissimus dorsi down to the waist - so I guess that is what they are thinking of.

I do deadlift reasonably regularly (I used to rep 8 x 160 kg in my Mass is Everything days!) but once I noticed the mid section thickening, I have pulled right back on the deadlifts, so now I may only do 8 x 40kg mixed in with other training 2 or 3 days a week. Sometimes, I dont do them at all in a week, and perhaps clean and jerk instead.

I have slipped my disc twice doing bent over rows, and have come back from that to being able to do the 160kg deadlifts, so I would support them as a good way to generally improve back strength and performance. Just take it very slow in recovery, and listen to your body. If you get a twinge, drop it there and then and allow yourself some time off to recover. Otherwise, you just hold the recovery back and you will take longer to heal.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 10 Bears View Post
    True - if only it were that easy to increase mass, but...

Repeated inclusion of deadlifting in worksouts, particularly heavy deadlifts, does increase mass in the Obliquus abdominis externus region which gives for a fuller look around the waist. Most people would prefer a tapered look from the Latissimus dorsi down to the waist - so I guess that is what they are thinking of.

I do deadlift reasonably regularly (I used to rep 8 x 160 kg in my Mass is Everything days!) but once I noticed the mid section thickening, I have pulled right back on the deadlifts, so now I may only do 8 x 40kg mixed in with other training 2 or 3 days a week. Sometimes, I dont do them at all in a week, and perhaps clean and jerk instead.

I have slipped my disc twice doing bent over rows, and have come back from that to being able to do the 160kg deadlifts, so I would support them as a good way to generally improve back strength and performance. Just take it very slow in recovery, and listen to your body. If you get a twinge, drop it there and then and allow yourself some time off to recover. Otherwise, you just hold the recovery back and you will take longer to heal.
    You heard it here, ladies. Once your deadlifts get up to 352 lbs for sets of 8, you are crossing the line into dangerous "getting bulky" territory. Until then, don't sweat it.

Alfi56 is offline Senior Member
    Is there any way to strength train/do deadlifts without going to the gym, as I don't have access to one...

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Is there any way to strength train/do deadlifts without going to the gym, as I don't have access to one...
    No gym is necessary. Just need barbells, a squat rack, and a bench.

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    You heard it here, ladies. Once your deadlifts get up to 352 lbs for sets of 8, you are crossing the line into dangerous "getting bulky" territory. Until then, don't sweat it.
    Well it might be a bit different for the ladies - I found this video: 160kg Deadlift - YouTube of a lass doing a single 160Kg DL. At the end she walks towards the camera and you can see a pair of thick Obliquus abdominis externus either side of her belly - it looks like she has love handles, but that is solid muscle.

To be fair though, most of the 'big' blokes at the gym couldn't do that lift and she has clearly trained for a long time. Very unlikely for someone doing the occasional set of DL as part of their training to get any development like that.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 10 Bears View Post
    To be fair though, most of the 'big' blokes at the gym couldn't do that lift and she has clearly trained for a long time. Very unlikely for someone doing the occasional set of DL as part of their training to get any development like that.
    Yes, that was my point. You aren't going to start doing deadlifts with 60 kg (135 lbs-ish) and all of a sudden be a female professional wrestler. Bulking up is hard work and most men have to put in serious time and effort to do it, albeit with a superior hormone profile for the task than women possess. STOP BEING AFRAID OF BULKING UP. That's the take-away.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Bodyweight training is still resistance training just as weights are. In fact if you put a lot of effort into some BW exercises, you can work yourself harder than if you were in the gym on the iron.

For example, I often see chaps strapped in to the Lat pull-down grunting and groaning at pulling 50kg, and yet they never see development. Why? Well, if they bothered to do some wide grip pull ups under their bodyweight at for example 80kg, they would get better growth and faster.

Often people forget the effort required to complete BW exercises and write them off as they dont include a weight or a machine - but if done right it can be an intense workout.

One arm pull-ups anyone?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast