Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Strength training with low back pain while trying to gain weight page 2

dwkdnvr is offline Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Good book to start with here Foundation: Redefine Your Core, Conquer Back Pain, and Move with Confidence: Eric Goodman, Peter Park, Lance Armstrong: 9781609611002: Amazon.com: Books

The book is a good set of 4-8 exercises to re-engage the posterior chain. Once you got that working for you add in the deadlift.

If that isn't doing the trick you better find a chiropractor.
    I'll second this recommendation. I recently got blindsided by a horrible episode of back spasms - paralyzing pain, 911/ambulance etc. The main underlying causes seem to be related to pelvic alignment and stability - probably initially caused by running but badly exacerbated by a worn-out mattress. The initial spasms were then followed up by secondary problems - over-rotated pelvis, SI joint etc. I'm at 8 weeks and am finally getting on some solid recovery footing.

After a bunch of reading, I came across the Foundation exercises (there is also a set of videos available - I picked up the downloadable version which works fine on my Android tablet). I'm not sure how much is really 'new' here vs re-emphasizing best practices, but I'm finding that it's a great routine to both re-learn proper activation as well as strengthen the muscles, build endurance where needed and also some degree of flexibility. It doesn't ignore the traditional 'core', but re-focuses the perspective on the posterior chain.

There's a good albeit long-ish interview between Goodman and Mercloa on Mercola's site if you want to check out the basic perspective/philosophy.

Once you have the biomechanics in order, then adding load-bearing exercises is a good plan - a *properly executed* deadlift is still my vote for the best single exercise you can do. You have to make sure you really understand the mechanics though, since 'don't bend your spine' doesn't really capture it.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Diechipmunk View Post
    Definitely deadlift. I've got lower back issues as well, deadlifts and stretching relieve the pain completely.

Trunk rotation, grok squat, hanging from a pull up bar and various hamstring stretches are my stretch routine. Don't underestimate the effect tight hams have on your lower back.
    Agree.

I have been doing "scorpion" stretches and hamstring stretches. Deadlifts build a strong back. I also have a wooden thing called a ma-roller that works wonders when my back feels a little sore. It's like giving yourself a shiatsu massage and is way more targeted on the back than a foam roller.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

Nivanthe is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfi56 View Post
    I don't have the strength for vigorous exercise or heavy lifting.
    Heavy lifting is relative to how heavy you can actually lift. Just cause you can't lift as much as the next guy (or girl), it's how heavy it is for YOU that is key... a weight you can only do 3-5 reps of.

I third (or whatever we're on now) deadlifts. Also pay attention to pelvic/anterior tilt. I found I was way overextending my lower back during movements, and standing in general, which was causing frequent lower back pain. I haven't hurt myself at the gym since. *knock on wood*

Anterior Pelvic Tilt and Lumbosacral Pain as it Relates to the Hip Thrust and Glute Bridge | Bret Contreras

Alfi56 is offline Senior Member
    The pelvic tilt link seems really helpful, and I think I do have that problem-thanks!
    However, I don't have access to a gym to do the deadlift; I only have weights. I also want to avoid bulking up with the deadlight, and just want to tone up.
    Also, should I be consuming ecess calories even on rest days? My main worry is gaining fat on my midsection, which I know is inevitable but I want to minimize it.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    The pelvic tilt link seems really helpful, and I think I do have that problem-thanks!
    However, I don't have access to a gym to do the deadlift; I only have weights. I also want to avoid bulking up with the deadlight, and just want to tone up.
    Also, should I be consuming ecess calories even on rest days? My main worry is gaining fat on my midsection, which I know is inevitable but I want to minimize it.
    Goodness gracious.... I don't even know where to start with this.

In order of misconceptions:

A. Deadlift wont make you bulk up. You don't accidentally get HOOOUGE with a couple of deadlift workouts.
    B. There is either more or less muscle. Try to forget you ever learned the word "tone".
    C. You don't need a ton of weight to start learning the maneuver.
    D. Don't worry about increasing your calories. You are so untrained that just doing the work will induce muscle gain.

As to D. I just reread and saw that you want to gain weight (i.e. muscle but not fat). Well in that case lift and eat. No you don't have to gain fat with muscle, but you do have to pick a form of strenuous resistance exercise and stick with it so that the excess calories are used to produce muscle rather than fat.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 06-06-2013 at 01:58 PM.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Goodness gracious.... I don't even know where to start with this.

In order of misconceptions:

A. Deadlift wont make you bulk up. You don't accidentally get HOOOUGE with a couple of deadlift workouts.
    B. There is either more or less muscle. Try to forget you ever learned the word "tone".
    C. You don't need a ton of weight to start learning the maneuver.
    QFT * eleventy.

Lots of young, testosterone-laden dudes devote serious time to lifting serious weight, eating big, and even taking supplements yet have a hard time putting on a few pounds of muscle. Don't kid yourself about this bulking crap. And on a side note A Lion in Iron: Women

I just got done pressing and deadlifting in my college gym. I had to wait a half hour to use the rack and while I did I watched this college guy deadlifting with three 45lb plates on each side plus a few more smaller ones as if it was nothing. He deadlifted set after set after set for god only knows how many reps. I haven't seen any other college guys deadlifting as much weight. He was thin, muscular, had rippled abs you could see through his shirt. Not huge, not fat, not even extra super ripped. Just very pleasing to the eye and deceptively ordinary-looking.

In other words, just go lift already and forget about all these worries you have. Eat a lot of protein and don't go hungry. You'll be fine.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I just got done pressing and deadlifting in my college gym. I had to wait a half hour for my muscles to deflate so I could fit back out the door!
    Hehehe

quikky is offline Senior Member
    My main worry is gaining fat on my midsection, which I know is inevitable but I want to minimize it.
    Unfortunately, I think you will never gain any significant strength because of this issue. I've seen it many times:

- Dude starts lifting and eating properly
    - Starts gaining globs of muscle and strength, with it gains some fat
    - Decides the fat is too much to bear and that he won't see his abz
    - Does one or more of: stop lifting, massive cut, tons of cardio
    - Dude is frustrated he is not getting much stronger, goes on a forum like Starting Strength and posts a thread which goes like this:
    "Mr. Rippletoad, I've done SS for 16 months but have recently been stalling. I'm 6'2", 165lb, I squat 200lb and 205lb seems impossible. What should I do?"
    Rippetoe: "YNDTFP"
    "Wow, I'm just trying to get some help, thanks for nothing"
    - Dude decides he will try bodybuilding max flex super bicep split with 27 exercises 5 times a week
    - Dude sees his curl go up 5lb, and squat go up 10lb. Decides he is happy that he's getting stronger and that his goals are just different from before.

Hehehe
    It's true. Because bulky.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast