Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Sanity and weight loss page

YogaBare is offline Senior Member

Sanity and weight loss

Primal Fuel
    You know, I envy people for whom weight loss is as simple as: go on a restrictive diet => lose weight. I'm currently at a point where I want to lose weight, but I'm recovering from an ED and I have no idea how to progress from here.

I gained a lot of weight since going primal a year ago. The gain was partly cos' I went VLC initially and it triggered the worst case of BED I've ever had, and partially because my recovery involved allowing myself to eat as much as I needed. I've lost some of that weight now: mostly from my face, waist and arms. I'm probably 23% bf but I look like a 5'8 pear.

So I want to lose weight, but I don't know how. I'm afraid to restrict my cals cos' it always ends in disaster for me. I've considered doing a mono food diet, or trying to restrict fat, but again, any kind of restriction sends me into crazy town. I'm also not the healthiest metabolically: was diagnosed with oestrogen dominance and am borderline hypothyroid, so I'm conscious that messing with my food intake too much can exasperate these conditions.

Right now I'm eating about 2K cals a day: reasonably balanced macros (don't count anymore): fruit, meat, rice are my main foods. Don't eat nuts or much dairy. I have a treat maybe once or twice a week: sometimes non-primal.

I'm physically active: walk, sprint, do yoga and advanced body weight exercises. I've just started taking Progesterone for the Oestrogen Dom. I feel happier, more energetic, and haven't binged or restricted in 4 months (longest I've gone without doing it in 13 years). I've lost weight just doing this, and I might still losing weight, but it's at a glacial pace.

Is there anything I can do to help the weight loss that won't make my insanity erupt, or do I just have to keep plodding along and be patient?

Thanks in advance!

PS. Please don't advice me to go low carb.
    Last edited by YogaBare; 06-02-2013 at 10:41 AM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

shonieb33 is offline Junior Member
    Maybe just trust the process and let go of outcomes----

Peace Yogabare.

Just a reminder; for someone that has a ED and to not have binged in 4 months AND feel good... that is HUGE.

S.

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    why not hold fire until you've given the hormones a chance to stabilise a bit more, things might get less stressful and everything feels a bit easier when your 'wellness factor' increases, and yes I know I'm losing weight fast now but sometimes you do have to be patient.
    I suppose the only advice I have right now is to try to leave a bit of food on your plate when you can, at least that way its there if you need it and you get to choose what you need. Its not worth triggering less beneficial behaviours when you are doing pretty well.
    treat yourself to those trainers too
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    I had to let go of the idea of weight loss. Being hypothyroid, as well as perpetually perimenopausal, has taught me that I have little to no control over what the number will be on the scale.

I chose, instead, to give myself permission to stay obese if I got and stayed healthy. I focused on things I could control-- what I ate and how I move. I don't track my food. I do watch BGLs as diabetes runs rampant in my family.I walk at least 5 days a week and set goals I work toward.

Focusing on health and choices helps keep me sane when things in the thyroid arena go south and I gain. This has happened more than once in the last 4 years.

BTW, I haven't been obese for over 3 years.

So, given all that, I vote for plodding along and being patient.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    If messing with food messes with your mind, can you make time for a one hour walk every day? Don't be competitive, don't track how far or fast you go, just go out and enjoy the scenery. You mentioned pear shape, and walking will certainly firm up your legs and ass. I also find it very calming, especially an early morning walk. I love to walk, and when I have a male friend about, I'll even take midnight walks. If I could leave my lady parts at home, I'd probably do midnight walks every day.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    If messing with food messes with your mind, can you make time for a one hour walk every day? Don't be competitive, don't track how far or fast you go, just go out and enjoy the scenery. You mentioned pear shape, and walking will certainly firm up your legs and ass. I also find it very calming, especially an early morning walk. I love to walk, and when I have a male friend about, I'll even take midnight walks. If I could leave my lady parts at home, I'd probably do midnight walks every day.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shonieb33 View Post
    Maybe just trust the process and let go of outcomes----

Peace Yogabare.

Just a reminder; for someone that has a ED and to not have binged in 4 months AND feel good... that is HUGE.

S.
    Thanks so much for the kind words Shonie: I appreciate them <3

Quote Originally Posted by CarbDodger View Post
    why not hold fire until you've given the hormones a chance to stabilise a bit more, things might get less stressful and everything feels a bit easier when your 'wellness factor' increases, and yes I know I'm losing weight fast now but sometimes you do have to be patient.
    I suppose the only advice I have right now is to try to leave a bit of food on your plate when you can, at least that way its there if you need it and you get to choose what you need. Its not worth triggering less beneficial behaviours when you are doing pretty well.
    treat yourself to those trainers too
    Lol - you know, just as I read this response I had opened an amazon page to buy those trainers! Thanks for the encouragement and advice Carbdodger: I'm actually leaving food on my plate these days, which is a huge sign of progress for me, as it indicates my eating is driven by satiety, not compulsion. Congrads on your weight loss btw!

Quote Originally Posted by marcadav View Post
    I had to let go of the idea of weight loss. Being hypothyroid, as well as perpetually perimenopausal, has taught me that I have little to no control over what the number will be on the scale.

I chose, instead, to give myself permission to stay obese if I got and stayed healthy. I focused on things I could control-- what I ate and how I move. I don't track my food. I do watch BGLs as diabetes runs rampant in my family.I walk at least 5 days a week and set goals I work toward.

Focusing on health and choices helps keep me sane when things in the thyroid arena go south and I gain. This has happened more than once in the last 4 years.

BTW, I haven't been obese for over 3 years.

So, given all that, I vote for plodding along and being patient.
    Thanks Marcadav, you always give such helpful advice. I guess my thyroid could be slowing down the weight loss, but I have no idea what it's like to lose weight at a normal speed, as I've always starved myself to get skinny. My mum has hashis, and she is still v.lean, though to be fair she doesn't eat as much as me. You're right that it's better to focus on health... Do you eat to support your thyroid btw?

Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Cheers Joanie I actually do take hour long walks a few days a week! I've been doing it for about a month now, unless I'm really tired. I agree, it's amazing. I usually play in playgrounds while I'm at it too
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

brooke.S. is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post

Is there anything I can do to help the weight loss that won't make my insanity erupt, or do I just have to keep plodding along and be patient?

Thanks in advance!

PS. Please don't advice me to go low carb.
    YogaBare, I can relate to you on so many levels. I've gained 8lbs since going primal myself. Partly related to very low T3 levels.

I think it is awesome that it's been 4 months since you last binged! I was reading the "eat a ton" thread and followed your progress. It was very encouraging and helped me to stop stressing about every little thing I put in my mouth. I was always somewhere between being stressed because I was starving myself (very low calorie) or stressed because I wasn't starving myself!

Like some of the others have said, I think you should wait it out a while longer. Once the progesterone starts to take effective you will probably start losing with ease. Btw... I've always thought that pear and hourglass shaped women look very feminine. I'm more hourglass but have thicker arms and I've envied women with slimmer arms.

You mentioned advanced body weight exercises. Have you tried pistol squats and lunges? Single leg deadlifts are good too. I usually do them holding dumb bells but you can do them with body weight only.

PS. LOL to your PS statement!

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Back when I was 20, I was emotionally eating all kinds of bad-for-me foods that lead to some major hormonal problems. I gained a lot of weight (going from a size 4/6 to a size 14).

I was diagnosed with a pituitary tumor, and there was no real treatment or cure, only that I would be overweight for the rest of my life and likely also have fertility issues down the track.

Accepting this diagnosis was actually helpful. I was just going to have to accept that this was the case, and go about my life anyway. I decided to focus on "health" which was mostly about how I felt all around.

I decided to eat whole foods and went vegan at the time. I decided to take up swimming again, something that i really enjoyed. I was still doing my yoga, and enjoying it. So, i just did that.

About 4 months after starting, i was putting on my clothes one day and they fell off. I'd hardly noticed how much smaller i was. I found a draw-string skirt and a less baggy sweater and went to the pool as I did every day. I got there and decided to weigh myself: 130 lbs. I was lower than my "start weight" at 135! I was completely gobsmacked.

I went and got new clothes -- size 4/6. I was back to normal. And I've been there ever-since (except pregnancy and post).

So lets talk about post pregnancy. Because I was exclusively breast feeding (hormones!) and doing baby-lead weaning, my weight came off *way* more slowly than I liked. I was eating a healthy amount of calories, whole foods, etc. I was hiking (while wearing the baby), and of course, breastfeeding which supposedly helps you loose the babyweight.

Well, not so much for me. It wasn't until my DS took food in for nutrition (around age 14 months -- before then it was "just for fun" and nursing was his primary nutrition), that my body decided to drop the weight. He was 14 months in November, and by end-of-January I was back to normal. I literally went from a size 12 to a size 4 again.

While I agree that going slowly in your weight loss is fine, I suggest just focusing on something else entirely and not worrying about weight or body fat percentage at all. Just focus on how you define "health" and don't worry about anything else.

You might discover that you lose weight, or you might just descover that you are great just as you are.

To this day, I don't even measure my waist anymore. I just focus on my postural alignment and overall how i'm feeling. I feel amazing -- and I think I look great, too. I have no idea what I weigh, what my body fat percentage is, or what my measurements are at this point. I doubt they've changed much because all of my clothes still fit. But still. Its not a concern, you know?

You can change your mind. That's probably the first place to do the work.

Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast