Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Sanity and weight loss page 9

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    Yogabear, your hips and waist measurements for your height seem pretty good to me. I'm 5'2" and weigh 120, my waist is 28 and my hips are 37.5. I've been eating the autoimmune protocol for Hashimotos for almost 3 weeks, not focusing on weight or measurements, today was the first time I checked in on those things and it turns out I've gained weight and inches. Ugh! I've also had a cold for the last 2 weeks. I'm not sure the protocol is working for me; I'm not feeling an improvement in any of my hypothyroid symptoms. I'm, often hungry and the food is unsatisfying.

So what's my point..... (brain fog hasn't lifted) maybe you are not seeing your figure accurately. How are you feeling? Do you have energy? Are you getting stronger?
    My understanding in regards to Hashimotos and eating an autoimmune protocol is that eating good/the right foods can calm the autoimmune attack and lessen the destruction of the thyroid gland.

However, IF the destruction of the gland is well under way, diet MAY not be enough to insure optimal function of the gland. Thyroid hormone replacement may be needed to restore optimal hormone levels and alleviate symptoms.

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Yogabear, thanks for your concern. It's hard to tell if I'm feeling worse due to the diet or because the cold is blocking my sinus, making me sleep with my mouth open which wakes me up! Then I am so thirsty and often hungry in the middle of the night. Not very restful. I've increased my fruit intake and have been eating sweet potatoes too. Prior to starting the AI protocol I rarely ate fruit.

I'm on levothyroxine and next week I have my TSH checked again. I'm looking for some sort of health practitioner to help me figure this whole thing out. My current doctor is next to useless, I'm just using her for the meds and to order blood tests. I'm waiting to hear from an "alternative" doc everyone says is the go to person for thyroid, but I have my doubts about him; I spoke with his nurse the other day and she had no idea what the paleo diet was.

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    I'm on levothyroxine and next week I have my TSH checked again. I'm looking for some sort of health practitioner to help me figure this whole thing out. My current doctor is next to useless, I'm just using her for the meds and to order blood tests. I'm waiting to hear from an "alternative" doc everyone says is the go to person for thyroid, but I have my doubts about him; I spoke with his nurse the other day and she had no idea what the paleo diet was.
    Please make sure to get freeT4 and freeT3 tested. TSH is a pituitary hormone. The brain can be happy (good TSH) while body is not getting enough actual thyroid hormones.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by diene View Post
    Yeah, you're right. Self-supplementing with dessicated thyroid glands seems pretty extreme to me too. I'm only *thinking* about it.

I hope the JUDDD thing isn't destroying my thyroid. I'm eating plenty of carbs and calories overall that it should be okay, I hope. It might not be good though. But...oh, but I like it so much! It's working so much better for me than more moderate restriction. For some reason, psychologically, I'm responding well to it. I guess I just don't like to have to restrict, even moderate restriction. It just wears me down when I have to do it constantly, you know. And then I snap and binge. Rinse. Repeat. On JUDDD, the restriction is short--one day and then I get to eat tons for one day. That way I don't get worn down and don't snap.
    Sorry, I didn't mean to fear monger! If it's working for you then great! Just when you said you were feeling so tired warning bells went off. If it's just started since JUDD you need to consider whether it might be connected. If it's been going on for a while that's different. Either way, you should monitor it. How long have you been feeling tired for?

Yogabear, thanks for your concern. It's hard to tell if I'm feeling worse due to the diet or because the cold is blocking my sinus, making me sleep with my mouth open which wakes me up! Then I am so thirsty and often hungry in the middle of the night. Not very restful. I've increased my fruit intake and have been eating sweet potatoes too. Prior to starting the AI protocol I rarely ate fruit.

Did you get sick when you started the diet? That also may be a sign that it's not right for you and is further suppressing your immune system.

Sorry if you already said: but is it Hashis you have? Have you considered going to an Endo instead of a regular / holistic doctors? I'm all about the blood

Agree you should get your T4 and T3 tested if you already haven't. Different docs believe different things are important, so maybe that's why your doc isn't pointing you in that direction.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Back on topic: out of interest I googled "Sanity and weight loss" to see what came up. First hit was this free ebook. Haven't read it but here's the blurb:

This book will be utterly different from anything you have read before. It is an alternative to trying harder. After all, if trying hard didn't work (and you have tried very hard indeed), then trying harder is doing more of what doesn't work. This is not a new diet. It is a new way to see food. There is no self-denial or restriction. It is a revolution in common sense, and the results are magical.
    Sounds similar to how I overcame my ED.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I thought 24" for Size 4 was on Banana Republic/GAP charts, but that was a couple of years back. Either that subtly changed, or I was looking at Size 2 back then as a goal. I vaguely remember that. I think, yeah, 25" is realistic, 24" is not.

I was 118-120 from age 16-18 to age 28 with 2 or 3 periods of weight gain into high 120's-low 130s whenever other things took priority. Then I had a deliberate weight gain to 135 lbs to help me get pg around age 30... I did not have my baby till I was 32 and after childbirth I was 155-165 lbs for a couple of years (truly did not care). Lost back to 118, but it has been a struggle from high carb hypoglycemia to low carb endless lethargy to hold it down for the past 4 years, until I gave up last November, and now sit in the low 130s.

Hunger, I got used to dealing with it (chewing stick, worry beads, meditation etc), but the disturbed sleep I could not take. It is starting to return to 8 hours now for me and mono-phasal instead of 5-6 hours bi-phasal, which is good. I have no bloating whatsoever and my digestion is like picture perfect. I do take a herbal supplement my acupuncturist gave me, but I am pretty sure that will be unnecessary after this bottle is done since I increased the carbs. I had bad one when I cycled calories and carbs, lol. I am not cold anymore ever.

But not fitting into my clothes sucks. Having heavy breath with small cardio exertion sucks. Not being able to do a pull-up with 15 extra pounds sucks. And sweating, OMG, I have almost forgotten what sweating is and now... ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww
    Last edited by Leida; 06-04-2013 at 02:52 PM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

lemontwisst is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by diene View Post
    Hey lemontwist, a TSH level of 3.0 is the threshold for a hypo diagnosis. It used to be 5.0, but they lowered it. It's all arbitrary. (It's obviously a continuum.) But your TSH going from 1.95 to 3.33 is definitely not no cause for concern. Your GP sucks, I'm sorry. I have very low opinions of most GPs. Definitely get a second opinion.

I'm going to look in the eat a ton thread, but if you see this, could you let me know which thyroid supp you're taking? I'm more and more convinced that I have thyroid issues. I have these weird energy crashes now that I never had before. On Saturday, for example, after sleeping more than 9 hours, I went to a pilates class and a yoga class. Then I was supposed to run but could not for the life of me find the energy. The pilates and yoga classes weren't very challenging, and I'm pretty fit so I wasn't tired out by the classes. So I ended up going home. I wasn't just being lazy or imagining being tired because I promptly fell asleep on the couch for 2.5 hours. None of this seems normal to me.
    Because the lab paperwork came back showing a range of 0.3 to 6.0 for TSH, she was unconcerned. I know it's an issue. My second opinion will be coming by way of naturopath, an appt with which I have booked for next Tuesday.

The supplement is called Raw Thyroid, distributed by a company called Natural Sources. I got it from iherb.com, but went to the site yesterday to order some more and they're out of stock at the moment. Perhaps you can find another source.

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Yogabare yes it's Hashi's. I had free T4 & T3 checked as well as antibodies when I was diagnosed a little over a month ago. I got sick after being on the diet for 1 week, husband and son got it too.

Back to the topic; for me dietary restrictions make me a little crazy. That's why I liked primal; I never felt restricted. In my case probably the reason why I stopped losing weight was my thyroid. I'm hoping once I get things under control I can return to eating all the yummy primal foods. I've never binged or had an ED, my body was pretty reliable in telling me when I was hungry and when I was full. So I'm a little confused as to what's going on now, as I said I'm often hungry in a way I wasn't when eating regular primal foods.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    How tall are you Ledia? I don't think I could physically have a waist that size... I'm 5'8 and when I was borderline anorexic my hips were still 35"s, which was a major sore point for me. I'm guessing that even at my thinnest (when people were literally pushing mochas and bars of chocolate on me) my waist was prob 26.5". Right now I'm 37" hips and 29" waist. And like I said, that's eating what I want.
    So, your waist-hip ratio is 0.78. And *ideally* you want 0.7.

With your current waist, If you gained 3 inches on your hips you would hit the 'ideal' Waist-Hip ratio. Maybe you can do lots of squats?
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

lucy1984 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Thanks Lucy! Sorry to hear you're gone through this too. I know what a nightmare it is.

I've already gone for a lot of therapy, and while it helped me mature, it didn't do anything for my depression, energy crashes, or binging. I'm convinced now that these were all symptoms of metabolic dysfunction, and that CBT would just be papering over the cracks. Not saying it wouldn't work for other people, but I know it wouldn't work for me.

Hey sorry for the late response. Fair enough, i also had metabolic issues which I have now sorted out, so it's very possible that if I had tried the approach in this book before I had sorted them out, then nothing would have happened. Quite likely, given that nothing else worked for me. However, even once my thyroid issues were cleared up, I was still binging, probably a direct result of years of 'dieting' and restricting - so now I am working on changing my attitude towards food and being OK with not dieting. Hope you get your metabolic issues fixed! I know from experience that if your hormones are out, NOTHING you do will help you lose weight. In fact you will probably end up exacerbating any weight or metabolic issues you do have Good luck sorting it all out xxx

Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast