Page 8 of 30 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Sanity and weight loss page 8

diene is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by lemontwisst View Post

Nothing conclusive about anything yet. The thyroid labs all came back 'mid-range', so no cause for any concern from my GP (despite a jump in TSH from 1.95 to 3.33 from Dec 2012 to Apr 2013). There were a few weeks in early April where I nearly hit bottom...to the point where I was so braindead I couldn't deal with work and the house could have been burning down around me but I couldn't get my dead arse off the couch. I remembered BestBetter's recommend in the EAT thread about a Raw Thyroid supplement and I got some shipped. Within two days of taking it, my energy had come back (still low, but it always is), my mind is still getting less fuzzy each day. That said a lot to me.
    Hey lemontwist, a TSH level of 3.0 is the threshold for a hypo diagnosis. It used to be 5.0, but they lowered it. It's all arbitrary. (It's obviously a continuum.) But your TSH going from 1.95 to 3.33 is definitely not no cause for concern. Your GP sucks, I'm sorry. I have very low opinions of most GPs. Definitely get a second opinion.

I'm going to look in the eat a ton thread, but if you see this, could you let me know which thyroid supp you're taking? I'm more and more convinced that I have thyroid issues. I have these weird energy crashes now that I never had before. On Saturday, for example, after sleeping more than 9 hours, I went to a pilates class and a yoga class. Then I was supposed to run but could not for the life of me find the energy. The pilates and yoga classes weren't very challenging, and I'm pretty fit so I wasn't tired out by the classes. So I ended up going home. I wasn't just being lazy or imagining being tired because I promptly fell asleep on the couch for 2.5 hours. None of this seems normal to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Can't speak for YB, but for me it is a life of a black, never-ending misery, lethargy and tears. Oh, and a weight gain, of course, after an initial loss of a couple of pounds. I know people for whom it works just can't believe that for others it do not, but yeah, LC is not a miracle that suits absolutely everyone and fixes absolutely everything.
    +1 Low carb definitely doesn't work for everyone. It can be counter-productive for some. I think it only really works for people who experience appetite suppression on it. All low carb ever did for me was cause me to binge. Sure, I lost water weight, but that's pretty pointless, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post

Alsoooo, I feel your pain about having a new "set point". Before Primal I maintained 125 (19 - 20 % bf) for a year. I wash't really restricting, but I was veggie and mostly eating oatmeal, lentils and vegetables. I would binge maybe once a week but would fast after it. My mental health and sleep weren't the worst either, but I had just come from weighing 117 lbs (which is when people were force feeding me junk food). Anyway, I don't get why I'm stuck at this weight (133lbs? not sure) now. I thought once I stopped binging the weight would fly off.
    My set point has gone up as well. But in my experience, sometimes, it'll suddenly go down for no reason too. That just hasn't happened for a loooong time for me...

I'm jealous of you I totally envy women with smaller hips. I'm quite petite on top so when I get thin I look scrawny really easily, but my hips don't change much.

Btw, the 24" is referring to waist, not hips. 24" hips are reserved for pixies and Thai women...
    I think the size of one's hips is partially dictated by bone structure. Some women have wider hip bones; others have narrower ones.

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    I'm jealous of you I totally envy women with smaller hips. I'm quite petite on top so when I get thin I look scrawny really easily, but my hips don't change much.

Btw, the 24" is referring to waist, not hips. 24" hips are reserved for pixies and Thai women...
    My hips are small? I never thought they were. The widest point of my hips is probably more like 37", towards the top of the thigh. I haven't taken measurements in a while. I wear a size 6 now (US).

You're right, I screwed up the measurements. Point being, 24" waist is impossible for me and I wore a size 4 at 120 lbs and I don't know Leida's body type, but we are the same height. 24" may not be possible for her without being SERIOUSLY unhealthy (low body fat & muscle mass).
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Here's the autoimmune protocol, strict paleo as opposed to primal:

Eggs (especially the whites)
    Nuts
    Seeds (including cocoa, coffee and seed-based spices)
    Nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, eggplants, sweet and hot peppers, cayenne, red pepper, tomatillos, goji berries etc. and spices derived from peppers, including paprika)
    Potential Gluten Cross-Reactive Foods
    Fructose consumption in excess of 20g per day
    Alcohol
    NSAIDS (like aspirin or ibuprofen)
    Non-nutritive sweeteners (yes, all of them, even stevia)
    Emulsifiers, thickeners, and other food additives

And for hypothyroid avoid goitrogenic foods. Paleobird linked to an article that goes into the foods to avoid for hypothyroid and though it was informative I just found it too limiting, seemed like the only thing left to eat was meat.

I'm tempted to give it up but everything I've read is that eating this way is supposed to be very beneficial. Maybe once i'm completely over my cold I'll start seeing some results and stop being so hungry. I don't know why but I get really hungry when I have a cold.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    Here's the autoimmune protocol, strict paleo as opposed to primal:

Eggs (especially the whites)
    Nuts
    Seeds (including cocoa, coffee and seed-based spices)
    Nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, eggplants, sweet and hot peppers, cayenne, red pepper, tomatillos, goji berries etc. and spices derived from peppers, including paprika)
    Potential Gluten Cross-Reactive Foods
    Fructose consumption in excess of 20g per day
    Alcohol
    NSAIDS (like aspirin or ibuprofen)
    Non-nutritive sweeteners (yes, all of them, even stevia)
    Emulsifiers, thickeners, and other food additives

And for hypothyroid avoid goitrogenic foods. Paleobird linked to an article that goes into the foods to avoid for hypothyroid and though it was informative I just found it too limiting, seemed like the only thing left to eat was meat.

I'm tempted to give it up but everything I've read is that eating this way is supposed to be very beneficial. Maybe once i'm completely over my cold I'll start seeing some results and stop being so hungry. I don't know why but I get really hungry when I have a cold.
    Okay, this is looking like a very low carb protocol? And you're feeling worse?

Urban Forager, I don't know much, but from everything I've read from a year on the forum tells me that people's experiences are:

Low carb + thyroid problems =

Please, please get off that diet. Don't listen to the "experts" - listen to your body. If you're gaining weight your metabolism is obviously cranking down, which indicates lowered thyroid function.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Please, please get off that diet. Don't listen to the "experts" - listen to your body. If you're gaining weight your metabolism is obviously cranking down, which indicates lowered thyroid function.
    Also, pay close attention to your hair. If you notice excessive shedding, then something wrong is obviously going on.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by diene View Post
    I'm going to look in the eat a ton thread, but if you see this, could you let me know which thyroid supp you're taking? I'm more and more convinced that I have thyroid issues. I have these weird energy crashes now that I never had before. On Saturday, for example, after sleeping more than 9 hours, I went to a pilates class and a yoga class. Then I was supposed to run but could not for the life of me find the energy. The pilates and yoga classes weren't very challenging, and I'm pretty fit so I wasn't tired out by the classes. So I ended up going home. I wasn't just being lazy or imagining being tired because I promptly fell asleep on the couch for 2.5 hours. None of this seems normal to me.
    Diene, I know you're not asking me, but personally I'm not a fan of people self-medicating with thyroid sups. I've heard anecdotally from people using it who say it makes them feel great, but a few months later I seeing them back at square one.

Im concerned about the effect JUDD might have on the thyroid too. That kind of calorie cycling seems extreme, and the the thyroid seems to take the hit when the body's being jerked around.

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    My hips are small? I never thought they were. The widest point of my hips is probably more like 37", towards the top of the thigh. I haven't taken measurements in a while. I wear a size 6 now (US).

You're right, I screwed up the measurements. Point being, 24" waist is impossible for me and I wore a size 4 at 120 lbs and I don't know Leida's body type, but we are the same height. 24" may not be possible for her without being SERIOUSLY unhealthy (low body fat & muscle mass).
    Well you're right that it all depends on the brand of clothes. Some brands intentionally make their sizes bigger to make us feel good, and thus more inclined to make a purchase

Btw, if you don't mind me asking, what are you doing to sort out your digestive issues? I'm becoming acutely aware that a lot of my "fat" is bloat. Which is actually worse imo - it's less controllable.

And, just in case this thread is getting too serious...

Last edited by YogaBare; 06-04-2013 at 12:56 PM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

brooke.S. is offline Senior Member
    Okay, this is looking like a very low carb protocol? And you're feeling worse?

Urban Forager, I don't know much, but from everything I've read from a year on the forum tells me that people's experiences are:

Low carb + thyroid problems =

Yes... This exactly.

Even after I had the proper hormone prescription I would do worse not eating enough carbs. Despite what some on this forum think, eating plenty of fruit works wonders for me and how I feel.
    I agree with avoiding goitergens but mainly bc it's so important for T4 to T3 conversion to have enough carbs. I don't have enough room for goitergenic veggies if I'm eating enough fruit for my thyroid.

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    It is 12-15 lbs/2 sizes for me, depending on what I think my 'keep it down by all means' weight is. I actually reached the too thin stage once for a day or two, when I dropped to 113 lbs. That was the first time I saw my skin actively sag on my stomach. Still had ridiculous thighs and still was not quite 25", let alone the coveted 24" at the waist line.
    Leida, I see you as being too hung up on can be seen as minute details. Things that tend to be outside the realm of control--keep it down at all cost weight, ridiculous thighs, coveted 24" waist.

If I focused on those details, never embracing the success I have over things I can control, I would go crazy and go down/ get stuck in the never ending black hole of "failure" .

I have had to embrace things I can control--my choices, in what I eat and how I move. I find success in small accomplishments, meeting goals, and getting back up when(not if) I slip.

I don't weigh anywhere near what I did before I had kids and I don't want to be that weight. I don't think I've ever had a 25" inch waist. I am fine with who I am, and refuse to allow the dysmorphic woman, that sometimes appears in my mirror, to rule/have power over my life.

Adopting this mindset, while not a success only journey, has allowed me to achieve overall success (as I see it) for the last 4+ years.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Btw, if you don't mind me asking, what are you doing to sort out your digestive issues? I'm becoming acutely aware that a lot of my "fat" is bloat. Which is actually worse imo - it's less controllable.
    Something else I have been doing for a few weeks now, month maybe even, I have added resistance starch in the form of potato starch for the benefit of things like gut health, to lower cholesterol which has gone up since primal. I am anxious to see what my next doctor's visit will bring.

You need to drop down into the comments to read about PS.
    Everything You Might Want to Know About the Potato - Perfect Health Diet | Perfect Health Diet

Prepare for the "Resistant Starch" Assimilation; Resistance is Futile | Free The Animal
    Resistant Starch: 4-Letter Word? Nope. Goal: Create Mashed Potatoes A Diabetic Can Eat Every Day | Free The Animal
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

diene is offline Senior Member
    Diene, I know you're not asking me, but personally I'm not a fan of people self-medicating with thyroid sups. I've heard anecdotally from people using it who say it makes them feel great, but a few months later I seeing them back at square one.

Im concerned about the effect JUDD might have on the thyroid too. That kind of calorie cycling seems extreme, and the the thyroid seems to take the hit when the body's being jerked around.
    Yeah, you're right. Self-supplementing with dessicated thyroid glands seems pretty extreme to me too. I'm only *thinking* about it.

I hope the JUDDD thing isn't destroying my thyroid. I'm eating plenty of carbs and calories overall that it should be okay, I hope. It might not be good though. But...oh, but I like it so much! It's working so much better for me than more moderate restriction. For some reason, psychologically, I'm responding well to it. I guess I just don't like to have to restrict, even moderate restriction. It just wears me down when I have to do it constantly, you know. And then I snap and binge. Rinse. Repeat. On JUDDD, the restriction is short--one day and then I get to eat tons for one day. That way I don't get worn down and don't snap.

Well you're right that it all depends on the brand of clothes. Some brands intentionally make their sizes bigger to make us feel good, and thus more inclined to make a purchase
    You know, I hate it when they do that. I've worn the same sized pants for most of my life--ever since I turned 13 or 14, I've been a size 6 or 7. I've never been able to fit into size 4 pants. And I know my size has stayed the same because I still have jeans I bought in the 9th grade, and they still fit fine. But some brands keep making their sizes bigger. So a couple years ago, I was a size 4 at the Gap; now I'm a size 2. It's ridiculous, really. Makes it hard to buy clothes online.

Page 8 of 30 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast