Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Sanity and weight loss page 7

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Saying that, the difference between me restricting very severely / often going hungry, versus eating to satiation at every meal, with no focus on macros etc, is 14 lbs. On paper, it's not enough to warrant all this agony. In reality, I'm never thin enough anyway
    Is being thin worth it? I keep seeing very thin women and THEY DON'T LOOK GOOD. Why in god's name do you want people looking at you thinking to themselves "she needs a sammich". Yes, I know we all want to be the willowy girl with thin, tight legs and arms. But guess what, if that is not your natural body type, you will NEVER look like that. You will look like a toothpick, a stick or someone starving themself. I know a woman, holy hell, she is thin and restricts and works out and looks thin, she's also a bitch, can't find a man and has no friends. The only thing remotely flattering to say is that well, she lacks much excess fat. She isn't even pretty.... just wow, she sure doesn't have much fat. Which is awesome because, well.... she can wear a Size 0!!111!11!!!!!1 So all that restricting, suffering and whatnot to say you are a "0". And yes, she still thinks she is fat.

Why not stop worrying about the weight, go buy really nice clothes that look great on you, get a haircut, workout, eat healthy and look better than pretty much everyone else? Find your self esteem in something other than a number on a scale.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    It is 12-15 lbs/2 sizes for me, depending on what I think my 'keep it down by all means' weight is. I actually reached the too thin stage once for a day or two, when I dropped to 113 lbs. That was the first time I saw my skin actively sag on my stomach. Still had ridiculous thighs and still was not quite 25", let alone the coveted 24" at the waist line.
    How tall are you Ledia? I don't think I could physically have a waist that size... I'm 5'8 and when I was borderline anorexic my hips were still 35"s, which was a major sore point for me. I'm guessing that even at my thinnest (when people were literally pushing mochas and bars of chocolate on me) my waist was prob 26.5". Right now I'm 37" hips and 29" waist. And like I said, that's eating what I want.

Just wondering as well - have you had your thyroid and hormones checked out?
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by CarbDodger View Post
    That's an issue a lot of us will have to put up with I guess, even 70lb women
    I was being facetious I should have put "thin enough" in quotes.

Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    Is being thin worth it? I keep seeing very thin women and THEY DON'T LOOK GOOD. Why in god's name do you want people looking at you thinking to themselves "she needs a sammich". Yes, I know we all want to be the willowy girl with thin, tight legs and arms. But guess what, if that is not your natural body type, you will NEVER look like that. You will look like a toothpick, a stick or someone starving themself. I know a woman, holy hell, she is thin and restricts and works out and looks thin, she's also a bitch, can't find a man and has no friends. The only thing remotely flattering to say is that well, she lacks much excess fat. She isn't even pretty.... just wow, she sure doesn't have much fat. Which is awesome because, well.... she can wear a Size 0!!111!11!!!!!1 So all that restricting, suffering and whatnot to say you are a "0". And yes, she still thinks she is fat.

Why not stop worrying about the weight, go buy really nice clothes that look great on you, get a haircut, workout, eat healthy and look better than pretty much everyone else? Find your self esteem in something other than a number on a scale.
    I do feel happier when I'm skinny, but it's a fleeting ecstacy, bordered by agonies. Now I feel content, and it's just from not binging, and not being on a diet. Like I said, I was never "thin enough" anyway. So no, it's not worth it.

I think the key is to find your natural body weight. I just don't believe I'm at mine yet, but maybe I have to let go of that.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    A philosophical question: Do you guys believe that one loses fat when one stops caring about losing fat? That's a common statement, but I always noticed that I always gain weight when I do not care.
    JMO, but I think there is a difference between not caring, and not stressing it. Stress is bad for weight loss. Not caring is bad for weight loss, if it causes you to eat things like fast food, processed, etc on a regular I-dont-give-a-shit basis.

But if not caring means you don't care to count calories, or macros etc, but do care about the quality and just making sure you eat all good food, then that would decrease the stress factor, I think that is different & a good thing.

For me though, just eating good foods was just not good enough to see weight (fat) loss. Or should I say the kind of fat loss I wanted to see. 15lbs is significant I guess, but in 15 months of primal? That is 1 pound per month. It will take me 70 more months to get to a decent weight - which is okay I guess, I will get there, but I just think I can do a few things to speed that up - or try anyways. May not be any more successful, and if not, then I guess that is the way it is.

So while I do believe in don't stress it, I am not completely carefree about it. Or careless might be the better word. I need to eat with some kind of strategy to see fat loss. Just eating good foods, I was only maintaining.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    How tall are you Ledia? I don't think I could physically have a waist that size... I'm 5'8 and when I was borderline anorexic my hips were still 35"s, which was a major sore point for me. I'm guessing that even at my thinnest (when people were literally pushing mochas and bars of chocolate on me) my waist was prob 26.5". Right now I'm 37" hips and 29" waist. And like I said, that's eating what I want.

Just wondering as well - have you had your thyroid and hormones checked out?
    I'm 5'6" and the thinnest I have ever measured my waist at was 29". Any thinner would not really be possible for me. It's probably larger now because I'm dealing with some bloating (gut issues I'm sorting out), but I'm 135 lbs. I don't know where a "coveted 24-inch" waistline comes from, but that's utter crap. And "ridiculous thighs" is how a lot of women look when they get underweight. Women tend to carry muscle and fat there, so sometimes they don't really shrink. From all that I've read and seen, working it into muscle is the best way to make them look amazing.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Yogabear, your hips and waist measurements for your height seem pretty good to me. I'm 5'2" and weigh 120, my waist is 28 and my hips are 37.5. I've been eating the autoimmune protocol for Hashimotos for almost 3 weeks, not focusing on weight or measurements, today was the first time I checked in on those things and it turns out I've gained weight and inches. Ugh! I've also had a cold for the last 2 weeks. I'm not sure the protocol is working for me; I'm not feeling an improvement in any of my hypothyroid symptoms. I'm, often hungry and the food is unsatisfying.

So what's my point..... (brain fog hasn't lifted) maybe you are not seeing your figure accurately. How are you feeling? Do you have energy? Are you getting stronger?

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I am 5'6 and 1/2" (170 cm tall), and at about 115 lbs I get 25"-25.5" in the waist. I have no idea what I have now, as by whatever reason, I am fine getting on the scale, but frightened to see the damage on the measuring tape. Guessing 28-29" and 37-38" in the hip/thigh. I doubt that 24" is possible for me anatomically, but 25". is. But weird though, if Size 4 is 24" in the waist that means most women can't be Size 4?

Anyways, I do not want thin, I want firm, and no amount of lifting firms up my body if the fat bulges are still there. I am not into make up and hair-dos, don't have occasions to go about in gowns. I want to look athletic and healthful in utilitarian clothes and a bathing suit. My clothes I already have, and my bathing suits.... And, yeah, I feel happier when I don't have to get up with the thought that I can only fit into my 'carbed-up' pants I just don't get it what the problem is. I used to be 118-120 lbs, and just fine. Why the heck that body wants to be over 130 lbs now?
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    But weird though, if Size 4 is 24" in the waist that means most women can't be Size 4?
    Under what label/measurement system/brand/country? I wore a size 4 when I was 120 lbs and my waist can definitely not get any smaller. My hips are probably around 34" now, maybe more, would have been similar then, but not 24".

I just don't get it what the problem is. I used to be 118-120 lbs, and just fine. Why the heck that body wants to be over 130 lbs now?
    Hormonal imbalance? How old were you when you were that small?
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    Yogabear, your hips and waist measurements for your height seem pretty good to me. I'm 5'2" and weigh 120, my waist is 28 and my hips are 37.5. I've been eating the autoimmune protocol for Hashimotos for almost 3 weeks, not focusing on weight or measurements, today was the first time I checked in on those things and it turns out I've gained weight and inches. Ugh! I've also had a cold for the last 2 weeks. I'm not sure the protocol is working for me; I'm not feeling an improvement in any of my hypothyroid symptoms. I'm, often hungry and the food is unsatisfying.

So what's my point..... (brain fog hasn't lifted) maybe you are not seeing your figure accurately. How are you feeling? Do you have energy? Are you getting stronger?
    EEk - sounds like you need to get off that diet! What does it involve?

Thanks for asking - I'm feeling so much better than before - in every regard. Still lingering depression and fatigue, but it's nothing like what it used to be for the majority of my life. It's kind of a dream how good I'm feeling.

You know what? Your questions have made me realise that my weight plateaus probably coincide with loss of energy. In general my energy crashes have stabilised a lot: they still happen but are not debilitating to the point where I can't exercise / get out of bed etc. And the last two weeks I've been really tired and can't seem to shake it. Which is when I stopped losing! I was losing slowly, but pretty consistently before then.

I am 5'6 and 1/2" (170 cm tall), and at about 115 lbs I get 25"-25.5" in the waist. I have no idea what I have now, as by whatever reason, I am fine getting on the scale, but frightened to see the damage on the measuring tape. Guessing 28-29" and 37-38" in the hip/thigh. I doubt that 24" is possible for me anatomically, but 25". is. But weird though, if Size 4 is 24" in the waist that means most women can't be Size 4?

Anyways, I do not want thin, I want firm, and no amount of lifting firms up my body if the fat bulges are still there. I am not into make up and hair-dos, don't have occasions to go about in gowns. I want to look athletic and healthful in utilitarian clothes and a bathing suit. My clothes I already have, and my bathing suits.... And, yeah, I feel happier when I don't have to get up with the thought that I can only fit into my 'carbed-up' pants I just don't get it what the problem is. I used to be 118-120 lbs, and just fine. Why the heck that body wants to be over 130 lbs now?
    I realised this week that most of the "fat" I thought I was carrying was actually water retention. I always thought I had a fat stomach, but now I can see that it's bloat. could it be something similar with you?

Alsoooo, I feel your pain about having a new "set point". Before Primal I maintained 125 (19 - 20 % bf) for a year. I wash't really restricting, but I was veggie and mostly eating oatmeal, lentils and vegetables. I would binge maybe once a week but would fast after it. My mental health and sleep weren't the worst either, but I had just come from weighing 117 lbs (which is when people were force feeding me junk food). Anyway, I don't get why I'm stuck at this weight (133lbs? not sure) now. I thought once I stopped binging the weight would fly off.

I know this isn't the most important thing - it pales in comparison with feeling better, but it feels good to get it off the chest!

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Under what label/measurement system/brand/country? I wore a size 4 when I was 120 lbs and my waist can definitely not get any smaller. My hips are probably around 34" now, maybe more, would have been similar then, but not 24".
    I'm jealous of you I totally envy women with smaller hips. I'm quite petite on top so when I get thin I look scrawny really easily, but my hips don't change much.

Btw, the 24" is referring to waist, not hips. 24" hips are reserved for pixies and Thai women...

- Ray Peat

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Body shape and firmness is kind of the hand you were dealt past a certain point. You can't diet your skin firmer. You can't really change your bodies proportions. I have a 27" waist at 172 lbs, 5'6. I also have 25" thighs. If I just diet, whoopie, I get maybe a 24" waist with 23" thighs.

If you don't like the numbers, maybe just forget about them. No one can tell if you have a 24" waist or a 25" waist. If I was dieting my ass off *literally* to get a smaller waist, I might consider building a bigger ass and shoulders to create the illusion of a smaller waist. We can, with some effort, build muscle in areas. I've put a ton on my shoulders. The seams of my shirts used to droop off the shoulder, now they fall short of the edge of the shoulder.

I'm not at vanity weight yet and I know more loss will help slim up arms and thighs. But for the vanity weight people, why not try adding on in places?

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast