Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Sanity and weight loss page 3

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Is there anything I can do to help the weight loss that won't make my insanity erupt, or do I just have to keep plodding along and be patient?
    I'm just plodding along myself, letting go of the outcome, focusing on the numbers in my weight lifting log book rather than the numbers on my tape measure or scale. It has done wonders for my sanity and self-esteem but not a whole lot for getting into size 2s or anything like that.

Meanwhile, I'm trying to just be really present and conscious of eating more than I really need or eating when I'm not really hungry. Can't say I have that mastered but I do notice that I am not very good in either of these two areas.

At the very least I truly believe I'm well on my way to being an awesome old lady. Maybe when I truly look old I will dye my hair magenta and get some really awesome tattoos all down my arms so I look like a walking flower and bird garden. Fuck being skinny. I want to be awesome and unique.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    At the very least I truly believe I'm well on my way to being an awesome old lady. Maybe when I truly look old I will dye my hair magenta and get some really awesome tattoos all down my arms so I look like a walking flower and bird garden. Fuck being skinny. I want to be awesome and unique.
    This makes me happy.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    This makes me happy.
    It would, you with your purple hair and awesome tattoos.

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    I find that if I don't have my sanity, weight loss just ain't happening. I don't have an ED, but I have my own issues that packed on 70# that haven't budged. So now I'm trying to get things in place to make me a happier person. Gardening, just being outside, recently hooked up with horses (they're really good for me), dancing. Because when I have good things going on in my life, I don't need to lean on crap food to make me feel better- or justify why I feel like crap.

So, instead of thinking about food, consider making sure that your house is stocked with nutrient-dense food and then move your focus to what makes you happy. Make food ahead for busy days so you can nuke soup instead of stopping at the drive-through, but that's really so that you can fuel . . . whatever it is that really floats your boat. Focus on happy, and support it with nutrients, and, in the end, it'll be a better life than focusing on being a size 2- or whatever you're after.

BTW- I tend to forget/ignore my wins- but the more I remember them, the easier it is to go for the mixed-green salad instead of the fries. 4 months without a binge is a WIN! Celebrate! With kale
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    It would, you with your purple hair and awesome tattoos.
    Hehe, thanks. I actually buzzed my head a few weeks ago, but it'll probably be purple or pink for my wedding in July.

Quote Originally Posted by drssgchic View Post
    So, instead of thinking about food, consider making sure that your house is stocked with nutrient-dense food and then move your focus to what makes you happy. Make food ahead for busy days so you can nuke soup instead of stopping at the drive-through, but that's really so that you can fuel . . . whatever it is that really floats your boat. Focus on happy, and support it with nutrients, and, in the end, it'll be a better life than focusing on being a size 2- or whatever you're after.
    This, definitely. Sweet potatoes were my solution food for a while. Nuke it, add some cinnamon, and voila. It's like a treat, but it's very good for me instead of probably-mostly not. It's hard for me to feel guilty about sweet potatoes, so they were very effective. I could eat as many as I wanted and I'd just feel good. Hard to feel emotionally bad when your body is content!

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    This, definitely. Sweet potatoes were my solution food for a while. Nuke it, add some cinnamon, and voila. It's like a treat, but it's very good for me instead of probably-mostly not. It's hard for me to feel guilty about sweet potatoes, so they were very effective. I could eat as many as I wanted and I'd just feel good. Hard to feel emotionally bad when your body is content!
    I read that first as "add some cinnamon and vodka." Now Wonder, that's not the direction we were headed . . .
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

Quote Originally Posted by drssgchic View Post
    I read that first as "add some cinnamon and vodka." Now Wonder, that's not the direction we were headed . . .
    But apparently you were. Are you extending the tequila-fest?

The buzz cut is very nice on you.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brookesam View Post
    YogaBare, I can relate to you on so many levels. I've gained 8lbs since going primal myself. Partly related to very low T3 levels.

I think it is awesome that it's been 4 months since you last binged! I was reading the "eat a ton" thread and followed your progress. It was very encouraging and helped me to stop stressing about every little thing I put in my mouth. I was always somewhere between being stressed because I was starving myself (very low calorie) or stressed because I wasn't starving myself!

Like some of the others have said, I think you should wait it out a while longer. Once the progesterone starts to take effective you will probably start losing with ease.

You mentioned advanced body weight exercises. Have you tried pistol squats and lunges? Single leg deadlifts are good too. I usually do them holding dumb bells but you can do them with body weight only.

PS. LOL to your PS statement!
    Thanks for the encouragement Brooke, and you're probably right about waiting it out a bit longer. I think I'm going to try sprinting every day for the next few days: I did this a few months ago and I shed a load of weight off my legs somehow...? I'm doing pistols already. Correction: trying to do pistols...

Really glad you got something out of the "Eating a ton" (with the ironic acronym EAT) thread! I think it was an amazing n=1 for a lot of women.

Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    Back when I was 20, I was emotionally eating all kinds of bad-for-me foods that lead to some major hormonal problems. I gained a lot of weight (going from a size 4/6 to a size 14).

I was diagnosed with a pituitary tumor, and there was no real treatment or cure, only that I would be overweight for the rest of my life and likely also have fertility issues down the track.

Accepting this diagnosis was actually helpful. I was just going to have to accept that this was the case, and go about my life anyway. I decided to focus on "health" which was mostly about how I felt all around.

You can change your mind. That's probably the first place to do the work.
    Thanks for sharing Zoe! I'm really sorry to hear that you went through that. You're right about changing mindset. I think I need to make "play" my focus.

Quote Originally Posted by marcadav View Post
    I have definitely learned that I can not do VLC. When I do my free T3 tanks and symptoms return. It happened again the last half of last year. My FT3 was barely in range when tested in October. I made a concerted effort to increase carbs--mostly in the form of white and sweet potatoes. When I retested in January my FT3 had rebounded back up, symptoms abated, without an increase in meds.

I make sure to get enough selenium, vitamin D, and watch my ferritin as it tends to be low. I do my best to avoid soy, but it's in almost everything. I don't seem to have an issue with cruciferous veggies but I don't eat a ton and tend to steam them.
    SOunds like what go pintos is suggesting below: eating to support the metabolism!

Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    Then I tried the just eating and not stressing, just go with the flow. That resulted in gaining about 10lbs, but clothes fit the same - I think anyways.

Then I started doing Fast Metabolism Diet, which the foods are fairly primal or could be, and they are foods I was pretty much eating before, but now I eat them with strategy. 2 days of certain foods, 2 days of certain other foods, 3 days of other foods.

The idea behind it is to re-ignite your metabolism by feeding your thyroid so it can produce the hormones T3 and T4. It also uses foods to calm adrenals, nourish the iver, stimulate endorphins, and stabilize blood sugar thereby supporting pituitary.

So I don't know, but I do know that I am losing about 3lbs per week on average now. Finally.
    Wow, good for you! I read what you wrote about that diet on another thread... I think I'll look into it. Right now I basically just eat what I crave, and it results in really random food choices and combinations, which I felt was in line with what you're talking about, but I guess I'd be seeing more of an effect if it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Graycat View Post
    YB, maybe falling in love could help I remember it used to make me not wanting to eat much.
    In all seriousness though, not binging anymore is huge. You know I know what I'm talking about. Maybe as others suggested keep the weight loss mode on hold for just a little while longer. And after that I think eating when hungry and stopping at the right time, meaning before you are full could be a good place to start.
    HA - yeah, love or travelling = skinny yogabare! Oh fortuitous event - I'm going on hols next week... Nah, I'm kidding. As I said: any prolonged restriction ends in disaster for me. I'm getting increasingly stable, so I think you're right that I should focus on other things...

Quote Originally Posted by lucy1984 View Post
    Hey, I have trouble with binging - nowhere near as bad as it sounds like you had, but enough to make me uncomfortable and for it to affect my self esteem etc. I had a bad episode on the weekend, and then, coincidently, I saw someone on another forum post about a book they'd been reading which was really helping them with their overeating. I can't vouch for it, as I haven't read it yet, but I've ordered myself a copy. This is the author's website www.eatingless.com . Someone was saying it's a bit like cognifitive behaviour therapy. Not sure if this would help you?
    Thanks Lucy! Sorry to hear you're gone through this too. I know what a nightmare it is.

I've already gone for a lot of therapy, and while it helped me mature, it didn't do anything for my depression, energy crashes, or binging. I'm convinced now that these were all symptoms of metabolic dysfunction, and that CBT would just be papering over the cracks. Not saying it wouldn't work for other people, but I know it wouldn't work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by ombat View Post
    Maybe you discontinue consuming caloric beverages. I.e. stop putting coconut milk and sugar in your tea. That would probably not feel restrictive to you and it would be a way to lower cals. Liquids are tricky and for all you know you really aren't needing those calories. Or if you do it will be easier to gauge how much you need by eating... food. I dunno, just a thought. What do you think?
    You're so right. "Don't drink calories" - DUH. Most of the time I drink cos I'm cold or thirsty, but I can switch to raspberry leaf tea. Thanks, guru Ombat!

Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    Not sure if you have tried it, but I find the easiest way to establish a deficit in though a combination of IF and moderate exercise. This way I can eat what I like and good amounts of it, but postponing my (break)fast creates a near effortless deficit over the week. I don't do IF every singe day, as I think it's good to take breaks and switch things up, but if you could eat the same amount you're eating now, but give yourself a window to do it in, it might be the easiest way to go about it. Just take days off from it as needed and take extra walks. I know this sounds simplistic, but it kind of is, IMO. If this triggers BE for you just ignore this.
    Actually, this week I ended up skipping breakfast most days cos' I didn't feel well... Don't know if it had any effect on the weight. Fasting in general just makes me overeat at the next meal - unless it comes from a genuine feeling of not being hungry. Which rarely happens, in my case, lol You're a fan of calorie cycling too, right? I'd be more inclined to do this, but then I usually go overboard on restriction... and we know how that ends
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast