Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1927282930 LastLast

Thread: Sanity and weight loss page 29

diene is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I was one of those wish I was dead kids too. I still kinda wish that sometimes. The outward actions of self-destruction and incremental suicide have mostly disappeared, however. The fact that death is always an option remains a source of comfort for me.

Wow, I'm just a ray of sunshine today.

excursivey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by diene View Post
    Wow, I'm just a ray of sunshine today.
    Me too I guess.

Sincerely, I wish everyone good health and self acceptance.
    Breathe. Move forward.

I just eat what I want...

Leida is offline Senior Member
    As someone who had to deal with a suicide in an immediate family not even 2 months ago, I sincerely hope nobody considers it as a real option. It's a horrid experience for the survivors.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Happy Paleo Girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I don't weigh myself. I don't want to know the number since I am lifting weights. It might discourage me. I'd rather be discouraged by how puny weak I am and how sadly I powerclean.
    This is me right now too, and I was a daily weigher for years (sometimes more than once a day!). But when I started weight lifting again a few weeks ago, I put the scale in the of the guest closet and haven't thought about it. I took my measurements, and will probably take them on a monthly basis from here on out. I have a doctor's appt. coming up and I'm actually going to request to NOT be weighed!

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Everybody seemed to hate me when I was a kid. So I just stayed away from people for the most part. Rather than hate myself, I just hated everybody else. I like myself just fine. I walked from Mexico to Canada and one thing I never was was lonely.

I mostly go around feeling pretty good about my body. It's usually when I see myself in a mirror or photograph, that the reality hits me. Wow, I'm big. Then I have moments of feeling really bad about it.

I honestly don't know what to think about my body. I can feel my body and I know that it's mostly quite hard. But visually it looks very wide and fat, especially if you put me next to another person. I can feel the fat if I poke myself, but there isn't nearly as much of a layer of it as it appears when you look at me as a whole. This is why I think that I'm just a big-boned, built-like-a-truck, made-to-last kind of person. I do not think no matter how much weight loss I had that I could ever achieve what is considered ideal today. I would first shrink but be the same general proportions, then I would lose all my muscle before suddenly becoming emaciated. There would be no middle stage where I looked like the current standard of fit and beautiful. Rather than moan and groan about it, I just try to accept it.

It helps to hang around with people who have similar interests as you. People judge me by my hiking ability, or seem to, and rank themselves based on whether they measure up to me. That can be annoying sometimes because some people never stop whining about how they aren't as good as me (wtf does that even mean anyway), but at least it's better than being the worst person in the room anywhere I go because I only have ONE FREAKING METRIC--MY STUPID DRESS SIZE--to measure myself with. (Sheesh!) And with enough work, people can get better than me at hiking but by then they're not racing me anymore, they're just enjoying themselves.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 210 x 3

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    There would be no middle stage where I looked like the current standard of fit and beautiful.
    Do you seriously give a shit about a standard of physical beauty set by gay men and women with eating disorders?

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    It's sad how many women hate their bodies. I once overheard the neighbor girl looking at herself in the mirror at our house say "I hate my body", she couldn't have been more than 7 at the time. I couldn't believe my ears, makes you wonder when this type of thinking starts.
    I think it starts when a child is told something negative about their bodies/themselves. I think too many parents, and people in general, think it's acceptable to tell children things, that while they think they are enlightening/helpful/true, leave the child with a poor self image that can last a lifetime.

I can not remember one nice thing my parents said about me to me. I know they told other people because those people relayed those comments. I can, however, list a ton of negatives they felt I should know.

All of this is compounded by the unrealistic societal view of what is and isn't normal/acceptable. And how children are bombarded by that view everywhere.

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    I get it... Beauty and physical attractiveness may be subjective, but subjectively I find fit bodies with low body fat to be attractive, and not "normal" weight bodies with chubby bits. Alas, I'm of the chubby variety (even though I'm now as fit and strong as I've ever been) and thus consider myself unattractive.

And the thing is, I can't help what I find attractive! I'm not going to see chubby as attractive no matter what.

So yeah I get where Leida and others are coming from. Maybe it is wrong to make such negative comments about yourself, but it IS hard to be accepting of the way you are when your aesthetic ideal is so far off!

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I always find it surprising when people make "definitive" statements about what they find attractive.

Perhaps I'm just nuts, but I find *lots* of things attractive, and the thing that I like the most is the "x factor" that most people have. It's not about their weight or this or that so much as it is about how they carry themselves and their overall sense of themselves and how they 'project' into the environment.

Perhaps because I'm attracted to "that" I'm attracted to a lot of different bodies. I find a lot of women sexy/beautiful -- of all different shapes and sizes and what not. THat includes "very fat!!!!!" women. In terms of men, I like all kinds, too. My kind-du-jour is tall/skinny (tendon-y) like herons and also strong men with their big bellies and big muscles.

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    Maybe in part it's because I find so few people attractive? (Not saying I don't find attractive qualities in people, I'm talking purely aesthetics here).

I've discussed this with my husband as he found it hard to believe I found so few people attractive while he finds a much larger range attractive.

Stuff like hair and skin colour are irrelevant to me and I'm just as likely to find a dark person as attractive as a light one, but I've never been attracted to someone overweight.

It might sound horrible, but really it is what it is. I can't explain attraction or why I feel the way I do. My biggest issue is that as I don't meet my ideal I can't understand why someone would find me attractive and this impacts on my relationship with my husband.

Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1927282930 LastLast