Page 24 of 30 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Sanity and weight loss page 24

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    My body went BLOOP with fat like overnight and after a week of eating so so clean. This is why I don't really try to understand anymore. Trying to figure anything out is a path to insanity. It's so much easier to just stay focused on the quality of my foods and the progress I'm making on exercise and forget all the rest because it's just too insane.
    I think both weight gain and loss are inherently irregular in nature.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    This week I was 134.6 Saturday morning, climbing up to 137 this morning. I think a lot of it is water retention, because Saturday and Sunday is lifting, hapkido + lots of yard work (hours and hours, lol). So dehydration+ muscle swelling... well, at least I hope so!
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    Inflammation. I noticed a distinct weight gain last week when my tooth flared up. (6+ lbs) I wonder how many times I have blamed it on something else, racking my brain trying to figure out what in the world was going on...... Got it pulled, taking some amox. and weight went down 5lbs over the weekend. I just never made the connection before. You just live with aches and pains for so long, that it becomes normal.
    My body went BLOOP with fat like overnight and after a week of eating so so clean. This is why I don't really try to understand anymore. Trying to figure anything out is a path to insanity. It's so much easier to just stay focused on the quality of my foods and the progress I'm making on exercise and forget all the rest because it's just too insane.
    Sorry to hear about your gains, but at the same time I'm kind of relieved to read all these accounts...

Part of the reason I started this thread was cos' at the time I had an unusual degree of bloating that wasn't subsiding and it was disheartening me. It's two weeks later and the bloat hasn't gone away... in fact it's increased, and spread to my face, and hands. Yes... weight gain. I weighed myself two weeks ago and I was 133lbs. I stepped on the scales today... and I am 143lbs. This is the highest weight I've ever been To be fair, I haven't had a BM in about five days (travelling always screws me up) so I'm hoping this is part of the problem. Or maybe it's bloating, or maybe I've had a oestrogen surge / thyroid downregulation.

Whatever it is, I realise now that I have to let go. I can't control this anymore. I am more than a number on a scale, or a flat tummy. But 80% of the time, I'm thinking about my weight. While I've distanced myself from ED behaviours, I still have an ED mindset. It's obsessive, and on a practical level, it's a waste of head space.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

YB, daily sprints means for me basically committing to this one form of exercise, and I am not gonna do that. I like lifting and my hapkido class. So, once a week is probably the best I can do in order to ensure that I am able to move every day of the week. Basically, even with one day of just walking, I now feel thoroughly worked/sore every night. I also find that I end up with pressure in my knees, borderline pain after sprinting + my favorite bunions. Really, I should swim, rather than run, but our pool only have 2 lanes for lane swim and you have to be there when I normally should be at work to get a reasonable swim. Sprints or running I can do at lunch, and you are the only person on the treadmill/elliptical whatever. Once gym renos are done, I am going to be doing more boxing in addition to hapkido, wrist permitting.

I know, I sound like a wreck, but that's why anti-inflammatory. I am thinking dropping nuts in July (gradually eliminating all inflammatory foods)
    I'm coming to the conclusion that to see results from exercise, I need to work out every day... which I can do for about two weeks, and then I get burnt out. But for a few days after those two weeks, my body looks better So yeah, daily sprints wouldn't be realistic for me either.

When did all this inflammatory pain start? Have you had your CRP checked?

Quote Originally Posted by TinaJefferson View Post
    Hi all,

This is a great thread, and it's been genuinely illuminating to read about the struggle others have with this same issue. It's so crazy, but I was under the impression that overwhelming body panic was only my problem. I have nothing really constructive to contribute, other than seconding the motion that trying to focus on good habits alone, separate from outcomes or consequences, breeds some sort of happiness and satisfaction.
    Tina, you are definitely not alone Here's to all of us generating more self acceptance for ourselves. The only thing that works for me, is to remind myself that who I am extends far beyond the limitations of my body, and is far more beautiful than what the eye can see. <3
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Good luck YB, and sorry to hear about the stupid bloat that came upon you. The travelling is pretty hard on the system.

I am Canadian, so there is no such thing as popping in to a doctor to get CPR checked. The endless inflammation started in the end of April, when I went to deal with a family emergency and OD'd on artificial sweeteners in addition to stress and some peanut butter. Anyway, it seems to be getting under control, but my wrist will always bug me (capral), and I will always have the old knee injury to contend with. I worked with the PT yesterday btw, and got him to work on some wrist strengthening with me. I will see if I can do it daily and if it improves the wrist or contributes to the RSI.

Yep, I do dedicated work out 6 days a week: 3 x lifting (~ 1 hr), 1 hapkido class (1.5 hrs), 1 sprint (~ 30 min with warm-up cool down) and 1 HIT run (30 min) - ideally should be a swim, but was not able to work that in so far, but I am hoping to replace with boxing starting next week (hopefully the room is ready). I dunno, if it is a successful schedule, but at least I am alive, lol.

@Tina: Welcome, and yes, I think it is super-important to know that you are not alone. I often feel hopeless, when I read success stories & ponder the crazy questions like: Why can others not eat fruit? or Why can others fast for a whole day or more? or Why can others live off liver and cream?
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Oh god I must have peed 5 times in the night last night. And sweated up a storm, too. Maybe I've lost some water weight. Who knows what causes all this. I've been eating the same meat and veggies as always, although we did have t-bone steak last night. We don't have steak often.

I don't weigh myself. I don't want to know the number since I am lifting weights. It might discourage me. I'd rather be discouraged by how puny weak I am and how sadly I powerclean.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

ombat is offline Senior Member
    Sorry for bringing up an old topic, but re: dresses vs. pants, I am small but hourglass shaped - I have rail thin arms and legs (from mid thigh down), but I have a definite waste, hips, and a round ass. Because of my body type, dresses look fabulous on me. But I hate how I look in skinny pants (I say, as I sit here wearing skinny pants) and I wear a size 2 (26). So... it's not just you all. We've been made to think that women should be rail thin everywhere but we aren't (and sexier that way, I might add).

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ombat View Post
    Sorry for bringing up an old topic, but re: dresses vs. pants, I am small but hourglass shaped - I have rail thin arms and legs (from mid thigh down), but I have a definite waste, hips, and a round ass. Because of my body type, dresses look fabulous on me. But I hate how I look in skinny pants (I say, as I sit here wearing skinny pants) and I wear a size 2 (26). So... it's not just you all. We've been made to think that women should be rail thin everywhere but we aren't (and sexier that way, I might add).
    I have very similar body type except that I'm size 4 and 27 - 28 in jeans. I look like an ice cream cone in skinny pants.

I believe we should accentuate what we consider our good features and downplay what we think are flaws. Altho many times our "flaws" are noticeable only to us.

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Graycat View Post
    I have very similar body type except that I'm size 4 and 27 - 28 in jeans. I look like an ice cream cone in skinny pants.
    I am rather thick waisted, by measurement and by appearance, and yet pants are always either too big at the waist or too tight in the hips and legs. What kind of freaks can wear what's sold in the stores?
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Quote Originally Posted by ombat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Graycat View Post
    LOL - that's it exactly! I'm the same. But I love skinny jeans so I wear them anyway...

Oh god I must have peed 5 times in the night last night. And sweated up a storm, too. Maybe I've lost some water weight. Who knows what causes all this. I've been eating the same meat and veggies as always, although we did have t-bone steak last night. We don't have steak often.
    I actually have the same experience and don't sleep well if I have a particularly heavy meat meal late at night. Some say it's due to cortisol spikes...

And god help me if I eat something that had MSG snuck into it. No sleep for me.

Good luck YB, and sorry to hear about the stupid bloat that came upon you. The travelling is pretty hard on the system.

I am Canadian, so there is no such thing as popping in to a doctor to get CPR checked. The endless inflammation started in the end of April, when I went to deal with a family emergency and OD'd on artificial sweeteners in addition to stress and some peanut butter. Anyway, it seems to be getting under control, but my wrist will always bug me (capral), and I will always have the old knee injury to contend with. I worked with the PT yesterday btw, and got him to work on some wrist strengthening with me. I will see if I can do it daily and if it improves the wrist or contributes to the RSI.

Yep, I do dedicated work out 6 days a week: 3 x lifting (~ 1 hr), 1 hapkido class (1.5 hrs), 1 sprint (~ 30 min with warm-up cool down) and 1 HIT run (30 min) - ideally should be a swim, but was not able to work that in so far, but I am hoping to replace with boxing starting next week (hopefully the room is ready). I dunno, if it is a successful schedule, but at least I am alive, lol.

@Tina: Welcome, and yes, I think it is super-important to know that you are not alone. I often feel hopeless, when I read success stories & ponder the crazy questions like: Why can others not eat fruit? or Why can others fast for a whole day or more? or Why can others live off liver and cream?
    Thanks <3

I'm sorry that you're in pain like that... I'm curious why you want to give up nuts though - I thought they were anti inflammatory, particularly macadamias? Also, I'm sure you've already tried this but I'll suggest it to you anyway: have you taken breaks from exercise? Working out six days a week is a lot. Maybe you're overexerting yourself, and your body is responding to the stress by burning muscle instead of fat.

And yeah... totally get that. I used to look at skinny friends who didn't eat much and bemoan the fact that they could eat one meal a day and not die of hunger whilst if I did that I would eventually end up binging. No benefits in comparing ourselves to others.

- Ray Peat

Also, I had a bit of a revelation today / yesterday about this topic, which I thought I would share here.

I'm in Las Vegas and am hitting the pool every day. So many of the women here are beautiful and skinny, and you know what? This has just caused me to dig deeper, and remind myself that I am more than my body. I have an inner beauty that is worth more than what the eye can see. Nothing is worth more than that, yet that's what I keep forgetting.

Getting a perfect body requires so much head space and what does it give you? Nothing, actually. I don't become more confident, and I don't love myself more. When I've been gaunt and skinny, I still fold my arms to cover my "belly". The only thing I get from increased thinness is the ability to dress the way I want. Is that really worth all this anxiety and pain?

Looking at all the people at the poolside I realised that every single one of them wants to be beautiful. We all try on clothes, look in the mirror, step on the scales. We are all the same.

- Ray Peat

Page 24 of 30 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast