Page 23 of 30 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Sanity and weight loss page 23

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Wow, I had lots of catching up to do!

Kudos to all those that have overcome negativity/abuse as a child. I never really suffered from body image, not until later in life but when I did, I realized it stemmed back to certain events from childhood. I did always try to instill in my kids, especially my daughters, their self-worth and beauty as a person and shelter them from bad things happening to them. Lord knows there are enough other things to worry about.

And it helps that they are beautiful but as far as I can tell, they have never lacked in confidence. They arent vain or conceited about their looks either, but they just ooze confidence, enthusiasm, and love of life, and love of family & friends, w/o dwelling on physical appearance. They do always eat right and stay active. I tried to teach them the things that I had to learn the hard way, since my mother died when I was 13, therefore there wasn't much time to teach me much of anything. And after she died, our diet and WOE went to sh*t. So I am hoping they have learned from my mistakes.

My youngest daughter, (27 today) has been with her husband for 10 years (not all married years) and they have 2 children and she just had a boudoir session done for him. OMGosh the pictures were beautiful and tastefully done, at least the ones she showed me haha. I can't share those, but I can take this opportunity to shamelessly brag on 2 of my 4 greatest accomplishments

65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    You have a beautiful daughter.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Thanks, that is both of them actually. They are 19 months apart in age. The one in the blue, is normally a blonde but a few years ago, she went dark.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    Thanks, that is both of them actually. They are 19 months apart in age. The one in the blue, is normally a blonde but a few years ago, she went dark.
    Gorgeous girls - congrads!

Quote Originally Posted by walkeith25 View Post
    When is your book coming out

The spammers seem to be getting political...
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Wow, all grown up & a credit to mom!

Leida, I was wondering about whether you have tried to eat sort of like PHD style and how you feel about starches. I think I saw you mention that someone else in your family does.
    IME they [starches] really help me feel satisfied for a long time. Much better compared to high fat or even high protein.
    I know you are avoiding nightshades for the time being, but perhaps this is something you want to look into sometime in the near future.
    I sort of do. It wrecks my facial skin, but my digestion is picture-perfect. It might be better if I did not eat fruit, but I have traveled down that road and it's a dead-end for me. Everything really is, except for eating what I feel like when I feel like. In the end, I think it is unfortunately true, I was born to be plump, and plump I will remain no matter what I eat, if I do eat. Starvation is the only thing that helps, and it is hard to live starving when food is available.

YB, daily sprints means for me basically committing to this one form of exercise, and I am not gonna do that. I like lifting and my hapkido class. So, once a week is probably the best I can do in order to ensure that I am able to move every day of the week. Basically, even with one day of just walking, I now feel thoroughly worked/sore every night. I also find that I end up with pressure in my knees, borderline pain after sprinting + my favorite bunions. Really, I should swim, rather than run, but our pool only have 2 lanes for lane swim and you have to be there when I normally should be at work to get a reasonable swim. Sprints or running I can do at lunch, and you are the only person on the treadmill/elliptical whatever. Once gym renos are done, I am going to be doing more boxing in addition to hapkido, wrist permitting.

I know, I sound like a wreck, but that's why anti-inflammatory. I am thinking dropping nuts in July (gradually eliminating all inflammatory foods)

This week I was 134.6 Saturday morning, climbing up to 137 this morning. I think a lot of it is water retention, because Saturday and Sunday is lifting, hapkido + lots of yard work (hours and hours, lol). So dehydration+ muscle swelling... well, at least I hope so! Consuming 1/2 can of coconut milk was not exactly weight-loss friendly lol.

But you should see my yard! I am in year 3, and it is finally coming together & starting to mature. Haskaps made some berries, and they are turning purple, and I see fruit forming on plums (after all the nerve-wrecking literature on cross-pollination) ans strawberries had heavy blooms despite rains... though rains wiped out all the spinach and wrecked LaFrance's peony bloom (BUGGER!)
    Last edited by Leida; 06-17-2013 at 07:19 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

diene is offline Senior Member
    gopintos: Your daughters are beautiful!

Leida: I bet you're not actually plump at all. You're 5'6" or 5'7", right? No way that you're "plump" at that height and weight!

Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    But you should see my yard! I am in year 3, and it is finally coming together & starting to mature.
    You should show us some pictures!! Now that the weather is nice, I spend alot of time outside with flowers, yard, garden...

Inflammation. I noticed a distinct weight gain last week when my tooth flared up. (6+ lbs) I wonder how many times I have blamed it on something else, racking my brain trying to figure out what in the world was going on...... Got it pulled, taking some amox. and weight went down 5lbs over the weekend. I just never made the connection before. You just live with aches and pains for so long, that it becomes normal.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    My body went BLOOP with fat like overnight and after a week of eating so so clean. This is why I don't really try to understand anymore. Trying to figure anything out is a path to insanity. It's so much easier to just stay focused on the quality of my foods and the progress I'm making on exercise and forget all the rest because it's just too insane.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

TinaJefferson is offline Senior Member
    Hi all,

This is a great thread, and it's been genuinely illuminating to read about the struggle others have with this same issue. It's so crazy, but I was under the impression that overwhelming body panic was only my problem. I have nothing really constructive to contribute, other than seconding the motion that trying to focus on good habits alone, separate from outcomes or consequences, breeds some sort of happiness and satisfaction.

I'll check in, and pipe up if anything seems like it could be helpful.

TJ

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Thank you, diene. That's what I try to think, just like YB!

You should show us some pictures!! Now that the weather is nice, I spend alot of time outside with flowers, yard, garden...
    Yep, I would very much like to, but every time I have this gardener's moment and pull weeds or mow the grass, or fertilize that clematis, or replant the sage instead of taking picture. I swore this year that I will keep taking pictures every couple of weeks, to judge the continuation of bloom and the color combinations, but, yeah, I end up just doing something else instead! I keep hoping every year I will enjoy the garden more, and work on it less, but so far it's not been the case My daughter actually took more pictures than I did in the garden this year, lol. I should try to open a thread in the Odds and Ends forum. Gotta be some gardeners here.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Page 23 of 30 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast