Page 19 of 30 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Sanity and weight loss page 19

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Sorry I'm late to your thread, but I really think I can help you and the other folks in this thread, to lose some weight. I'll just come straight out with the protocol, then go into a little bit of info to back up the protocol:
    Thank you for the thought, but by now I am not able to tolerate anything that is deliberately unnatural, macros, feeding windows or calories restrictions. Numbers eventually lead to failure.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Leida.... are you saying Scarlett O'Hara was "robust" or somehow a "larger" woman? She ended up damn near starving at one point in the movie, but was petite to begin with. So you look at those photos of Vivian Leigh and would feel large if you looked like her?
    Not the movie, the book.

Nivanthe is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    Yeah, I am so forum crushing on you right now. <3
    Me too. Magnolia has some great posts in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
    I exercise 5 mornings a week, I walk at least 30 minutes a day, blah, blah, blah. I'm so desperate that I want to go back on phentermine so I can starve the weight off again even though I know it's only a temporary solution. Being 195 pounds and 5'6" SUCKS.

Sorry for the rant... I guess I'm just having a bad weight day. Sadly, most of my days are bad weight days.
    I know the feeling, I'm 5'5' and 195 atm, mostly the same story -- I remember starting junior high in a size 12. But, I did manage to losing most of it 2 years ago and got down to 150. Gained 90% back. However, I am in a size 8 currently, even if they're the Express stretchy 8s. Do you strength train? I guess there's a muscle mass difference between us.

Good luck on your fat loss!

nikitakolata is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nivanthe View Post
    Me too. Magnolia has some great posts in this thread.

I know the feeling, I'm 5'5' and 195 atm, mostly the same story -- I remember starting junior high in a size 12. But, I did manage to losing most of it 2 years ago and got down to 150. Gained 90% back. However, I am in a size 8 currently, even if they're the Express stretchy 8s. Do you strength train? I guess there's a muscle mass difference between us.

Good luck on your fat loss!
    I do strength training, some in the form of free weights and bodyweight exercises and some in the form of random work (I move furniture A LOT). According to my scale I'm 36% body fat. Sigh... I'm quite strong, but still have way too much excess fat. A size 8 is just a pipe dream for me.

Have you ever tried one of the food restriction protocols to see if it can helps a suspected issue, like thyroid?

Every natural doctor I have met just stares into my eyes and diagnoses me with adrenal fatigue in 2 minutes so I don't really care for that diagnosis (yeah, I am almost 40, I get it. I am tired.). I did acupuncture 3 times, but I don't think it did anything. But I am trying an anti-inflammatory protocol + Whole 30, and to be honest that actually seem to make a difference in well-being and addressing problems. Not weight loss to start with, and it takes a few weeks for noticeable improvements, but it's simple and sensible. I think a lot of problems come from the lowered ability to digest the nutrients properly, and W30 or specific protocol can help it. Practical Paleo book has a few condition-specific protocols. Granted, it is self-diagnosed, but sometimes gut feeling >>> what doctors say.

Primal is less strict, but I am wondering if it is why it doesn't work wonders for everyone, and why some folks have to be stricter than that.
    Last edited by Leida; 06-13-2013 at 09:26 AM.

nikitakolata is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Have you ever tried one of the food restriction protocols to see if it can helps a suspected issue, like thyroid?

Every natural doctor I have met just stares into my eyes and diagnoses me with adrenal fatigue in 2 minutes so I don't really care for that diagnosis (yeah, I am almost 40, I get it. I am tired.). I did acupuncture 3 times, but I don't think it did anything. But I am trying an anti-inflammatory protocol + Whole 30, and to be honest that actually seem to make a difference in well-being and addressing problems. Not weight loss to start with, and it takes a few weeks for noticeable improvements, but it's simple and sensible. I think a lot of problems come from the lowered ability to digest the nutrients properly, and W30 or specific protocol can help it. Practical Paleo book has a few condition-specific protocols. Granted, it is self-diagnosed, but sometimes gut feeling >>> what doctors say.

Primal is less strict, but I am wondering if it is why it doesn't work wonders for everyone, and why some folks have to be stricter than that.
    I haven't tried Whole 30 yet. To be honest, primal is about all the restriction I can handle right now. As it is I spend what seems like an insane amount of time planning what I'm going to eat. It is exhausting! I've started a "routine" of shopping for dinner every day and that's helped me to have fresher food. Of course, in order to do that I've been leaving work early. It isn't a huge issue because I despise my job and if someone catches me, oh well. But, it will be a problem when I get a new job which I am definitely planning on doing within the next year. I hate this place so much that being here for 7 hours leaves me feeling awful.

Maybe if I have a job I hate less I will see some movement on the scale. I doubt it though since most likely any job I change to will mean driving to work and will as a result eliminate the 35 mintues of walking I do everyday just getting to this place now.

That adrenal fatigue thing ticked me off. I did a cortisol test and did have somewhat high cortisol at night but I can tell that has changed in the last 6 months or so; I'm back to waking up before my alarm everyday and easily falling asleep at night. I'm a little tired during the day but I know a large part of that is the fact that I am trapped in this office and incredibly bored. I never feel tired on my days off, even though I don't sleep in any later or anything else on those days... I'm just able to move around more and think about things that interest me instead of the boring nonsense that makes up my job.

What would a person eat to help their thyroid, anyway? I've gathered that VLC is not good for thyroid function. I have about 100 to 120 grams of net carbohydrates a day (150 if you don't subtract fiber). 80 to 100 grams of protein and about the same range for fat. I'm pretty evenly split over the three macros. I have dairy in the form of kefir, cheese, and on occasion I'll have greek yogurt. Everything else is as primal as I can make it (grass fed when possible, organic, etc.).

Nivanthe is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
    I do strength training, some in the form of free weights and bodyweight exercises and some in the form of random work (I move furniture A LOT). According to my scale I'm 36% body fat. Sigh... I'm quite strong, but still have way too much excess fat. A size 8 is just a pipe dream for me.
    Not sure by the numbers what I am, but visually it looks like 30-35%. I hope you find something that works, because it shouldn't be just a pipe dream!

I've learned primal for weight loss (for me!) just doesn't work; I need higher carb + protein macros, and some restriction, decent cardio/HIIT in addition to heavy weights. For health, primal is wonderful -- so I'm trying to combine the two worlds. The "scale weight" is slowgoing, but I like the changes i'm seeing in the mirror.

Also echoing good choices in clothing; makes a huge difference in look and confidence!

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    I vote for flip-flops, sbhikes. The rubber ones from Old Navy that are always "on sale" for $2.
    My sister got married in Las Vegas (probably by Elvis) wearing a tight mini-skirt and platform, psychedelic flip-flops. I think it can work with the right flip-flops.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

Heya, if you send me an e-mail I can e-mail you a couple of pages I pdf'd from the Practical Paleo for Thyroid protocol, you can take a look.

Sorry it takes you a lot of time to manage the food supplies & job situation - I can relate to literally all of it! In fact I finally broke down and started sending out resumes yesterday after confronting the next wave of woe at work. I find the eating relatively simple - I cook meat simply (either roast or slow-cook) and in bulk, I keep fresh veggies in the work fridge, a stack of sardines 'just in case' & buy a few avocados and sweet potatoes for easy office meals (chop and much or microwave and mush). I use fruit a lot lately, and steam or roast bulk trays of veggies for nightly sides. I make my own bacon, lard and dehydrated sweet potato chips + coconut oil for cooking fats and olive & sesame oils/balsamic vinegar for dressings.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    My sister got married in Las Vegas (probably by Elvis) wearing a tight mini-skirt and platform, psychedelic flip-flops. I think it can work with the right flip-flops.
    On an unrelated note, I attended my mother's wedding (3rd) in a tuxedo t-shirt.

Page 19 of 30 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast