Page 17 of 30 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Sanity and weight loss page 17

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I think part of the 'no clothes for the curvy gals' is that dresses are not made to fit individually the way they used to (even if a woman made her own), but now are mass produced. No two women's curves are alike, so the things are tight here and lose there...bad fit. Stretch fabrics might seem like a solution, but to fit well, the clothes needs a give. Very few women will look good in Star-Treck Style snake-skin overalls. Even worse in the normal coveralls (yeah, those ones make men look fitter and cooler, but women, yikes, I wore the blues for a couple of years, and it was terrible).

The actress in your first set of pictures has a tailored wardrobe. When she puts on the Mass-produced jeans and sweat-shirt, she looks bad. She will probably look bad in a proverbial bikini as well compared to the tall, limby, low-fat wonder women (I so much wish I was one!)

I do not look bad in baggy T-shirts as long as they are LONG baggy T-shirts and go to half-hip. Now, the tighter tops are out until the happy day my gut is less pronounced. That's why I am Okay in my gym 'finery'.

In defence of Walmart, the only pair of jeans that was ever wearable by me came from there. Happy accident.
    Last edited by Leida; 06-12-2013 at 12:42 PM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    Huh, you learn something new every day.

Thanks!
    I learned something as well.

P.S. Those fashions are not something I would ever wear myself. I'd really rather wear baggy t-shirts and jeans no matter how awful I look. I've always felt like a transvestite in anything like a ruching or bandage dress. Hell, I feel queer just saying these words.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I have never found jeans to be comfort clothes. Sweat pants, yes, jeans - never. Always stiff, rub the wrong way in the wrong places, stick in crevases, and far too cold in the winter, far too hot in the summer.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Lord.... That actress would look fabulous in a bikini.

I will READILY admit that I have many figure flaws and much weight to lose. I can point out every flaw in these photos. But here:
    http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3806/9...c808e88351.jpg

The red dress. Now granted, that dress has limited usefulness. But it makes the most of what I like about myself.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3808/9...9688358d9a.jpg

What I say way too many women wearing. The best part? You can see my gut flab despite wearing huge pants and a huge shirt. But I see women SMALLER than me wearing shit like that because they are "fat" or worse yet "look fat". Or, they claim it is comfortable.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5454/9...81554fc48c.jpg
    Now this is very comfortable, cost $10 and actually HIDES my stomach fat.

So.... I got shit to hide. More than most of you. But "hidey" clothes don't do shit to "hide" your flaws.
    Attached Images Attached Images

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

nikitakolata is online now Senior Member
    Magnolia, I agree. I see thousands of people every day on my commute to work (walking through the Chicago Loop) and far too many women are dressed in horribly unflattering clothes.

That said, I have a horrible time finding dresses. I've gotten to be a pro at hiding stomach fat (I think), but I have a very hard time finding dresses that hide saddlebags. I have one dress that does, but it's way too fancy for work. I've seen others, but they're exactly like the one I already have, so if I get tons of dresses like it it'll look like I have a uniform or something. I definitely feel best in jeans and my trusty cardigans.

As for sanity and weight loss, that's something I've never achieved. I'm either sane or I could be insane and losing weight (often I'm insane and not losing weight anyway). I've been forced to go back to counting calories and chronic cardio to see any movement on the scale (I measure too, but nothing there). Nothing I've done as far as PB goes has worked to help me lose weight. I've gained weight since I discovered PB.

I go back and read that Self article a lot to try and give myself a reality check, but it usually makes me feel more obsessed and determined to doing whatever it takes to lose weight. Depressing stuff, to be sure.

canio6 is online now Senior Member
    Wow, fashion lessons with Magnolia. Looking great by the way. Feel free to post as many more fashion lessons as you like. I'm sure all the clueless guys will thank you.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    YogaBare, my friend wants to look attractive. Breasts are fucking very attractive if you have the right bra. Her legs are attractive. She thinks they are fat because they are thicker. But they are cellulite free, smooth, shapely. But a boxy saggy t-shirt and saggy cropped pants are like a self fulfilling prophecy of looking in the mirror and hating yourself.
    I hear you. Unfortunately (and this is going to sound presumptuous) but, sometimes people say they want to look attractive, but they have phobias about different parts of their bodies. Maybe your friend had her breasts checked out once too often by her creepy uncle. Maybe she was inappropriately touched. A lot of women dress in unflattering clothes cos' they have been learned to be ashamed of their bodies - the good, and bad parts.

I also have a theory that this is why some women have EDs - they fear the womanly curves or fear the attention they would get if they were at their ideal weight.

Quote Originally Posted by rcav8r View Post
    To be honest, I like the way men dressed, post WWII to the 60's, suits and ties, looking sharp (if you were fit). I sometimes follow a "vintage clothing" thread on another forum. The guy who started that thread has the build to wear those kind of clothes.
    The don't really look good on guys with a belly (like I do at present).

Not that I have much use for a suit, being a blue collar guy, but they look sharp.
    I agree - I love the trench coat and suit look on men! I really like the twenties as an era, style-wise.

And YogaBare, post a pic of you in the cocktail dress. Our resident men would probably enjoy additional education regarding fashion.

I will READILY admit that I have many figure flaws and much weight to lose. I can point out every flaw in these photos. But here:
    http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3806/9...c808e88351.jpg

The red dress. Now granted, that dress has limited usefulness. But it makes the most of what I like about myself.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3808/9...9688358d9a.jpg

What I say way too many women wearing. The best part? You can see my gut flab despite wearing huge pants and a huge shirt. But I see women SMALLER than me wearing shit like that because they are "fat" or worse yet "look fat". Or, they claim it is comfortable.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5454/9...81554fc48c.jpg
    Now this is very comfortable, cost $10 and actually HIDES my stomach fat.

So.... I got shit to hide. More than most of you. But "hidey" clothes don't do shit to "hide" your flaws.
    That was a good illustration of the point. And you look amazing in the red dress! Major props to you for posting. I don't know if I'm so brave...

Quote Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
    As for sanity and weight loss, that's something I've never achieved. I'm either sane or I could be insane and losing weight (often I'm insane and not losing weight anyway). I've been forced to go back to counting calories and chronic cardio to see any movement on the scale (I measure too, but nothing there). Nothing I've done as far as PB goes has worked to help me lose weight. I've gained weight since I discovered PB.

I go back and read that Self article a lot to try and give myself a reality check, but it usually makes me feel more obsessed and determined to doing whatever it takes to lose weight. Depressing stuff, to be sure.
    Hey Nikita, sorry to hear you feel like that While I am cat-woman crazy, one thing that's helped me is putting my weight in perspective: I know women who are heavier than me, and who literally don't give two shits. I think of them and it reminds me 1) how much happier the people who don't care are, and 2) THere's always going to be someone thinner or bigger than you. What's the point in hiding away?

And of course, there's more to life than weight... (*whatever* )
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

dilberryhoundog is offline Senior Member
    Hi Yogabear,
    Sorry I'm late to your thread, but I really think I can help you and the other folks in this thread, to lose some weight. I'll just come straight out with the protocol, then go into a little bit of info to back up the protocol:

dilberryhoundog's whole thirty:

Try this for a month:
    Eat the food you normally would (primal fare) and at the amount you normally would (don't restrict or force, eat when hungry until full) unless otherwise instructed.

Week 1
    Choose a day to:
    *Do a 12hr - 18hr fast, also reducing your calories on this day by somewhere around half
    *Do a binge/feast eating above average calories in only 2 meals
    *Have a meat day, eat predominantly meat for the whole day
    *Have a greens & yellows day, eat predominately Vege's and fruit for the day
    *Have a carb day, eating a somewhat higher level of primal carbs for the day, eg potatoes, sweet potatoes, rice.
    *Eat normally for the other 2 days

Week 2
    Choose a day to:
    *Do a fast where you skip breakfast (if you normally skip breakfast, skip lunch then also), this day should have a reduced calorie level.
    *Do a fast where you skip dinner, this day should have a reduced calorie level.
    *Do a binge/feast eating above average calories in 4 - 6 small meals and/or snacks.
    *Have a dairy day, eat more than normal dairy on this day (If your lactose intolerant, do a vegge + carb day)
    *Have a meat day, eat predominantly meat on this day

Week 3
    Follow the same protocol as week 1
    *If you feel adventurous you could add to a meal something that doesn't agree with you, eg, wheat or legumes or dairy or sugar.

Week 4
    Follow the same protocol as week 2
    *Treat yourself to a block of 80% chocky if you wish, if you've made it this far and done well

A few notes
    *If you drink coffee or tea daily, skip them for a few days in the week.
    *If you normally eat all your food in a couple of big meals try grazing for a few days a week.
    *If you skip a meal daily (usually breakfast) then reverse that a few times a week.

Ok now for the Info,
    I had an eating disorder (binge eating) before my primal journey kicked off (still do to an extent), anyway this protocol worked extremely well for me as I lost 70 pounds in four months, was adding muscle in the last few months too, so probably lost like 80lbs of fat (thats 20lbs a month).
    "Ok your a guy and I'm a gal, this won't work for me" I hear you say, well my wife would disagree with that. She lost 40 lbs in 4 months whilst breastfeeding (hormones raging) and did almost ZERO fitness apart from daily mothering movements and a half hour walk once a week or twice a week. You could stand to lose fat faster than her if your not breastfeeding and doing your sprinting and lifting heavy.

Ok so that's our N=1 out of the way, sometimes they can be convincing, sometimes not, so I will theorize a bit more:
    After digging around a lot of body weight movement books it started to become clear to me that the human body thrives on acute stressors/challenges. If the stressors/challenges come on too strong (destructive) or often (chronic) then the body becomes injured. This is clear as day in our musculo-skeletal systems, so I started looking for other areas that this might apply.....

Our Diet, it was obvious. Through a SAD diet our metabolisms are subject to many destructive and chronic stressors, some examples are, PUFA's, free radicals, BPA's etc, etc as destructive stressors. Calorie excess, carb and fat excess, insuline spiking as a result of sugar etc, etc as chronic stressors. hell you can even find chronic stressors in the paleosphere like... daily calorie deficits, daily VLC, daily IF, same daily macros etc etc. Anyway I also ran the idea through a grok filter and yep it checked out, grok definitely would've faced acute dietary stressors/challenges pretty much constantly, think... big game kills, poisonous berries, seasonal fruits and vegetables, food shortages etc etc.

So I've tried to sneak this idea onto the MDA forums through a few posts and my success story (In my sig) and have gained a little traction (I've had grateful MDAers PM me, giving thanks for offering something that worked for them, when not much else did for years). Also I have just started to see literary confirmation from blogs and books (Art de Vany and Nassim Taleb's - antifragile) for this idea/protocol. This is why I am starting to gain confidence (had a fear of getting shot down by the scientific CI=CO crowd) in my idea and recommending it to MDA readers, The only criticism this idea has had so far, is from readers unwilling to try it.

Anyway give it a go, embrace the variability in your diet, tweak it to suit your particular circumstances and I hope all goes well, report back if you wish so others might find it useful as well.
    A little primal gem - My Success Story
    Weight lost in 4 months - 29kg (64 lbs)

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dilberryhoundog View Post
    Hi Yogabear,
    Sorry I'm late to your thread, but I really think I can help you and the other folks in this thread, to lose some weight. I'll just come straight out with the protocol, then go into a little bit of info to back up the protocol:

dilberryhoundog's whole thirty:

Try this for a month:
    Eat the food you normally would (primal fare) and at the amount you normally would (don't restrict or force, eat when hungry until full) unless otherwise instructed.

Week 1
    Choose a day to:
    *Do a 12hr - 18hr fast, also reducing your calories on this day by somewhere around half
    *Do a binge/feast eating above average calories in only 2 meals
    *Have a meat day, eat predominantly meat for the whole day
    *Have a greens & yellows day, eat predominately Vege's and fruit for the day
    *Have a carb day, eating a somewhat higher level of primal carbs for the day, eg potatoes, sweet potatoes, rice.

Week 2
    Choose a day to:
    *Do a fast where you skip breakfast (if you normally skip breakfast, skip lunch then also), this day should have a reduced calorie level.
    *Do a fast where you skip dinner, this day should have a reduced calorie level.
    *Do a binge/feast eating above average calories in 4 - 6 small meals and/or snacks.
    *Have a dairy day, eat more than normal dairy on this day (If your lactose intolerant, do a vegge + carb day)
    *Have a meat day, eat predominantly meat on this day

Week 3
    Follow the same protocol as week 1
    *If you feel adventurous you could add to a meal something that doesn't agree with you, eg, wheat or legumes or dairy or sugar.

Week 4
    Follow the same protocol as week 2
    *Treat yourself to a block of 80% chocky if you wish, if you've made it this far and done well

A few notes
    *If you drink coffee or tea daily, skip them for a few days in the week.
    *If you normally eat all your food in a couple of big meals try grazing for a few days a week.
    *If you skip a meal daily (usually breakfast) then reverse that a few times a week.
    I like the way your protocol is evolving.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I also have a theory that this is why some women have EDs - they fear the womanly curves or fear the attention they would get if they were at their ideal weight.
    Yeah.... that's sad.

But here's the deal. Everytime someone with a good body says "I'm fat and need to lose weight" because they are afraid that their tits and ass might attract male attention, another woman hears them and says "shit, I guess I'm fat too".

The whole reason we should give a shit about being attractive is to attract and keep a mate. Now I know that I am not every guys cup of tea. If you like long and lean, keep looking. But let's just say that enough guys find me attractive to insure I will have a mate.

Somehow, the media has decided that "attractive"= the tall slim models that are generally selected by men with no interest in mating with women to show off garments. Why the hell would you want to have the body of a 14 year old boy? Go to your average beach and the coathanger girl looks like shit in a bikini because 9/10 times her ass doesn't fill the bottom.

Yeah, there is that 2% of women that is tall, lean with curves in all the right places. They can date the tall lean men with muscle in all the right places. I know for damn sure all the dieting in the world is not going to make me look like that.

So what it comes down to.... is we have all these women who are size 0-8 that if they take 2 minutes into thinking about their clothes can look amazing..... calling themselves fat asses because they either 1. don't look like the 2% or 2. don't look like a 14 year old boy. If you are dieting to in essence, make yourselves LESS attractive to men, then at least just say "yeah, I hate it when I have tits and ass because dudes hit on me" (or just eat and wear baggy khaki capris and an oversized shirt). If you are dieting because you hate yourself, just say "I starve myself to punish myself". Whatever you do, don't say you are dieting because you are fat and ugly.

I think we owe it to the next generation of women to straighten this body image shit out. What we say to girls is "Hey, if you don't look like a 12 year old boy, you are fat and will never find a mate, go hide until you are 2, preferably with long thin legs." I mean seriously, there are a couple of your I'd like to bitch slap because if you are "fat and flabby and ugly", then I'm the town heifer.

Above all, on this site, this is about a healthy lifestyle and building a healthier self. If you can't lose anymore weight without doing crazy shit, you either need to see a doctor OR you need to recognize that your body is at a healthy weight and you get to make the most of it. Don't just sit here and bitch about losing 10 more pounds so you can be a 0 instead of a 4 and have Giselle's thighs because yours are "fat". If you just are unhappy because of past abuse, then go get some counseling and work towards a life of joy that doesn't involve punishing yourself because some guy was a douchebag 10 years ago.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Page 17 of 30 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast