Page 15 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Sanity and weight loss page 15

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I now weigh about 20 pounds more than I did when I had no muscle and was 40 years younger. At that time I was dreadfully unhappy with my body. I'm not now.

At that time I had never done any exercise. Later, I became what I call a serial obsessor. I went through several different sports where I constantly thought about, planned, and worked out on achievement. Eventually I would reach whatever maximum I could and quit, seeing as I am genetically untalented at sports. Now I have physical limitations (bone spurs in my right foot) that keep me from exercising the way many people here do. When I was heavier, that kept me from walking without pain. Now I can walk, and I would like to see how far I can go.

And I dabble in various exercise. In some, progress is slow. In others, I make good progress. It looks like I could do really well competing at bench press in my age group. That's only a small victory, because it's a reflection of the fact that hardly any women of my age lift free weights.

I was out doing an 11 mile walk yesterday in my size 8 jeans and snug-fitting purple t-shirt, and a guy in a little pickup wolf-whistled at me. I didn't see his face, and I doubt he saw mine. I could theoretically be old enough to be his great-grandmother. Yeah, that was a victory. Take'em when you get'em.

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Fuck being skinny. I want to be awesome and unique.
    I had to laugh at this... looking around at Americans, being skinny IS being unique.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I'm not American, I'm Southern Californian. An hour from Malibu where Mark lives. Believe me, it's different here. What comes off the tourist buses and cruise ships is quite shocking. I'm emaciated compared to the average American.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

fillyone is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Some thoughts I have had today:

This morning I did 3 sets of 10 pushups! Awesome! I couldn't do a single pushup a few months ago. Next time I'll do sets of 11.

Before lunch, I'm on my way to the food coop, I think to myself, hey, I'm not actually hungry. Maybe I'll take a walk instead.

On my walk I thought about how I should keep noticing when I'm not hungry. Because by not ever noticing, I seem to have convinced myself that I am always hungry. Noticing more often when I'm not actually hungry seems to be sinking in to my brain that maybe I'm not a gluttonous beast.

As I walked, an annoying young guy came up behind me on a skate board and complimented the color of my shirt. I could tell when he saw my 48-year old face he wasn't expecting to be complimenting an old broad. Ha ha, he must have seen my squats-sculpted ass and thought I was sexy. Good for me.

I thought about my Oly class weight lifting videos. I actually did Olympic weight lifting. Someone told my boyfriend, "Dude, you better lift some weights because she's is going to beat you up". Ha ha. It's not true, but I still feel awesome for having taken every step to get where I am today.

Since I have been focusing more on the now and on what I am capable of instead of what I look like and how I compare to others, I have felt a lot better about myself.
    This rocks!!
    Push ups are the bane of my CrossFit existence!!!
    Barb - Portland, Oregon

"Everything is as it should be given what has gone before. This is not an excuse but it is a reason"
    ~ Dr G & Barb ~

Leida is offline Senior Member
    YB, did you go shopping?
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

diene is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fillyone View Post
    This rocks!!
    Push ups are the bane of my CrossFit existence!!!
    Haha! Me too! Pushups and pullups. I'm terrible at them. I scale both (pushup on box and banded pullups) and still can't do that many.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the clothing suggestions Magnolia!

Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    YB, did you go shopping?
    Ha, yes - and didn't buy anything that actually suits my lifestyle... got a cocktail dress!!! It's really nice though And weirdly, I feel more comfortable in snug dresses than I do in my regular clothes.

In other news, the sanity aspect wasn't working so well. I was trying to love and appreciate my body, but it's so bloody hard. Sooo, I decided to do a few days of low carb, just to drop some water weight and feel that little pick-me-up you get from weight loss.

It's that stupid dichotomy again - trying to love myself was becoming more stressful than tweaking my diet.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    And weirdly, I feel more comfortable in snug dresses than I do in my regular clothes.
    If you look hot in a snug, sexy cocktail dress.... your body is just right.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Ha, yes - and didn't buy anything that actually suits my lifestyle... got a cocktail dress!!! It's really nice though And weirdly, I feel more comfortable in snug dresses than I do in my regular clothes.
    Dresses or skirts with jackets is the basis on my wardrobe. I have never felt comfortable or confident in pants. I think it is far easier to find a flattering dress than pants!

And, yeah, I hear you about the stress of accepting yourself as you are. I regularly have neurotic thoughts about it. I think it stems from the basic philosophical question of "who am I/what am I"?

Even when I read my favorite history or mystery or historic mysteries books I start picking up on body issues and dietary details.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Dresses or skirts with jackets is the basis on my wardrobe. I have never felt comfortable or confident in pants. I think it is far easier to find a flattering dress than pants!

And, yeah, I hear you about the stress of accepting yourself as you are. I regularly have neurotic thoughts about it. I think it stems from the basic philosophical question of "who am I/what am I"?

Even when I read my favorite history or mystery or historic mysteries books I start picking up on body issues and dietary details.
    I agree with that - trousers these days are meant for coat hanger women.

You know, a few months ago I watched that movie "Drive", and Christina Hendricks (who plays Joan in "Mad Men") was in it. I couldn't believe how different her beautiful, curvy body looked in skinny jeans.

Clothes these days are not made for curves.

And I hear you on the other stuff. You're not alone! For me it's more about control I think. I feel out of control of everything in my life, and my body is just another thing that I can't beat into submission. At least I don't have an ED anymore, that is a big achievement.

I actually read an account from one ED woman who found out she had cancer, and said that she felt a momentary happiness because she realised she might get skinny from the chemo. Shocking. But sadly so many women have traces of that level of self hate.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Page 15 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast